• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling: From Scratch to Snuff [LINK]

Level 2
Hey all,

I was just browsing around and saw a call out for some tutorials so I figured I'd post a link to download a scratch modelling tutorial I wrote in Sept of 2005. It's geared for beginners using 3DSMax (or GMax works as well) and takes you from nothing to a model, through skinning and getting it into War3 TFT.

I'm aware that there are a few typos in there but laziness and forgetfulness are a killer combo.

Anyway, you can find it at: View attachment Chest_Tutorial.pdf
and the original link: http://thevman.rooms.cwal.net/tutorials/Chest_Tutorial.pdf
I'm open to any comments or criticisms so by all means, take a look and say your piece!

-V

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Sure, when I get home tonight I'll dig around and see if I can find the model that goes with the tutorial.

As for others that I've made - well, believe it or not that's my first (ok, not SO hard to believe *L*).

I intend to free up some time soonish and will see what I can do to hack up a few more models and eventually, as mentioned above, get to that remoake of the WarII Mage. I've got the sprites for him I just need to bang out a basic model sheet to work from - which would probably be a good tutorial as well.

Hrm. Now the gears are turning.

-V

Level 2
Hey all, sorry for the long delay - life gets busy and all.

I took a look around and couldn't find the models I created for the tutorial. If I have time I may run back through it and rebuild one to submit, but it won't happen terribly soon due to the damned life thing.