• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Model section suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking here for more than five years and here's what I have observed in the model section (just a little of it):
1. Pending and Approved models are not separated.

Here's my suggestions
1. Let us separate approved models from pending models so that pending models are placed on a page for these (pending) models only [just like in the map section where approved maps are separated from pending maps].

2. Models that need fixed should be placed on another page(s). These models should be visible to regular users so they can still give feedback as to how the model is created.

3. Models that need fixed should be given deadline to be updated from the time a moderator checked the model until the time set for deadline. Before the deadline is reached, the creator should receive a message that his model will permanently be deleted in the model section if he will not update his model until the deadline is reached. If the deadline is reached and the model is not yet updated, the moderator who checked the model should reject/delete the said model.

These are just suggestions. What can you all say about these?

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking here for more than five years and here's what I have observed in the model section (just a little of it):
1. Pending and Approved models are not separated.

Here's my suggestions
1. Let us separate approved models from pending models so that pending models are placed on a page for these (pending) models only [just like in the map section where approved maps are separated from pending maps].

2. Models that need fixed should be placed on another page(s). These models should be visible to regular users so they can still give feedback as to how the model is created.

3. Models that need fixed should be given deadline to be updated from the time a moderator checked the model until the time set for deadline. Before the deadline is reached, the creator should receive a message that his model will permanently be deleted in the model section if he will not update his model until the deadline is reached. If the deadline is reached and the model is not yet updated, the moderator who checked the model should reject/delete the said model.

These are just suggestions. What can you all say about these?
Hey! I'd like to add my oppinion to your ideas. Generally, they're realy good.
1)yes, this would be realy good. Though, they're marked as ''Pending'', it's pretty annoying to have them together with the approved ones.

2)Yeah, ''Needs fix'' stuff should have a section for itself. DLing them and seeing them publicly is necessary to improve it further. It's also pretty annoying to have to update them each time for seeing them again/finding them easily. This forces the modeller to make update for update, instead of updating the model only once.

3)They should have a deadline, but not be moved instantly to deletion. I recommend to put them into the Delete section and leave them there for exactly 365 days. If they stay unupdated there, then they should be perma-deleted.

Additionally, i think that moderated stuff should always be moved to ''Needs fix'' rather than ''Deleted''. Deleted models can't be updated any more, which means that a mod/admin must be contacted each time such a model is going to be updated. This is also time-consuming and bothersome. Only offensive material should be moved into ''Deleted''. I don't see why a model that needs fix should be sent instantly there.

eubz said:
Is it possible that a user sees his needs fixed model(s)/resource(s) in his Resources tab so he doesn't need to worry about his resources being less visible?
Ralle, I assume this "a user" means the actual userbase, not the author of the resource.
Hence, the idea would be to make "Awaiting Update"-ed resources visible to the public.

Just to state this right away:
Implementing additional tabs to hold those resources doesn't serve much use in my eyes. You don't sell half-finished products in "real life" either. Sure, there are exceptions for everything, and a resource marked with "Needs Fix" might be very useful to somebody.
However, rules exist to maintain order.
The resource sections should maintain a certain quality level.
That applies to both resources and management.

Now, let me say something regarding your actual suggestions:
  1. Sounds reasonable to me, though it's more of a visually edit. You can already decide to show only approved resources.
  2. That may sound legit, but I don't think it's necessary. The current system has worked well for ages now, why should we change that?
    I can not speak for all moderators here, but I leave several submissions "actively pending" - meaning that I usually would mark them as "Needs Fix", but decide to wait so the authors can collect some further feedback from the community. Once I don't see any actual changes or recent feedack, I moderate it accordingly.
  3. Not necessary. It is within a moderator's choice to decide whether to reject a resource that has been marked with "Needs Fix" for some time.
    If you could take a look at those sections, they are FILLED with stuff that is there for ages, yet wasn't updated. Ever. Talk about the "Graveyard" of those sections.
    It may be rather messy, but that doesn't matter. Users can easily update their resources so they will be back pending and taken out of there.
    If they were to be rejected, the user would have to manually contact the respective Resource Moderator to unlock the submission thread again. Unnecessary work for both parties.

The system already has the segregation of Approved and Pending Models. To make this clear, my suggestion is actually focused in the |Models| tab positioned atop. When a user clicks that tab, a conglomeration of approved and pending models come out. How about we make it like the |Maps| tab where the page only contains all approved maps. This will, I think, would be beneficial to both the model creator and the moderator.

Well, Ralle already said this:
The reason I decided to let pending and needs fix show up in the main list is so the owners don't need to worry about their resources being less visible. It's an easy change if we decide to change it.

It's actually up to him. Mine is just a suggestion.

Level 20
I'm not sure on pending but if it's blatantly "needing a fix" I don't think it should be show on the initial page. Such models should still be accessible via the navigation/filter though.

If a creator is worried about their work not being seen, it's a nice incentive for them to fix it isn't it? I think pending is ok though, particularly if the model-moderation can take a while (I wouldn't know).

why?

i prefer fixing my models whenever i want. and it is good to have a backup of it here in case my hd crashes. models aren't filesize heavy.. there's no problem having them here forever waiting for a fix.

Yeah. Just disregard my suggestion about having deadline. How about this?
The system already has the segregation of Approved and Pending Models. To make this clear, my suggestion is actually focused in the |Models| tab positioned atop. When a user clicks that tab, a conglomeration of approved and pending models come out. How about we make it like the |Maps| tab where the page only contains all approved maps. This will, I think, would be beneficial to both the model creator and the moderator.

It's actually up to him. Mine is just a suggestion.

Hmmm.. I agree that models who need fixes or rejected, should be still visible, and only the really offensive ones are to be deleted, or that the resource wouldn't be seen. About seperating the approved, pending, isn't really necessary I think, because the pending ones, will need feedback, and if the first models you see are all approve, the feedback on the model will lessen, hence slower improvement or progress.

This is just my opinion though. :)

Level 20
1) I approve.
2) Not bad.
3) Okay, other than the deadline part.

In short, everything is fine, except the part where you 'force' people to update their models, as most of the people above has posted.

Ah and this. The underlined part.
why?

i prefer fixing my models whenever i want. and it is good to have a backup of it here in case my hd crashes. models aren't filesize heavy.. there's no problem having them here forever waiting for a fix.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The pastebin can also be used as a backup now with the "permanent" setting. But honestly. Please use Dropbox or something and keep all your valuable data there. I don't want to see you lose your data.

The forced update is sort of a bug or inconvenience. Models are sorted by update time and a new model was never updated. This is why moderators have the option to "bump" new models by setting their update time to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.