• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Model Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
While looking at my models in Magos' viewer, they look fine - however, once I drag them into WE, the shading from the light looks bad. After a thorough search, I found a thread about steep angles causing this; if so, is there any OTHER way to remove this effect? Adding and redoing every angle on my models would make me sad.

Example:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb51/Xaerth/help.jpg
As you can see, almost all of the windows have a weird polarization effect. They're either dark or extremely bright. However, the tower-looking-thing isn't that bad, which I sure hope isn't because it is at an angle. Nonetheless, is there a way to get softer shading without a major overhaul of my model (IE, ambient light colour change?)

Level 4
Which tool are you using to model? Are you using Omni Lights?

3DSMAX9, saving as a 3DS, opening in Milkshape3d, using the MDLX converter there, and toying with it in Magos' and Oinerwinkles' (sp) vertex editor to UV wrap it. As far as Omni Lights go, I haven't used any. After toying around with the lights, I think I made it a bit more obvious as to which normals were bad.

I don't really care about having to tweak it much, so long as I don't have to redo the UV maps (or if there's a quick method of doing it I'm not aware about). So, ideally, anything I could do to fix it while using Magos' or Oi... would be great. Of course, things don't always work out that way. Thanks.

EDIT: After finally finding the function again, I tried recalculating normals on Oidiosajfoidasjf's vertex modifier and I think it made it worse. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.