• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Map corrupted somehow, backups too!

Level 3
Hey, I was having lots of fun, making this RPG map thing, when suddenly I found out that I can't open it anymore. It won't open in the editor, and a lot of the backups that I have going back to early yesterday all also don't open. (Editor was open that whole time, didn't know it was saving corrupted data)

Here's exactly what happens: When it's doing the progress bar to load the map, it freezes at 'Loading Units 130/157'.

I opened some older versions of the map that had been saved by JNGP in the backups folder, but they all had the problem too! I had left the editor open for too long, assuming a map open and saved could be open again.

In the backups, it froze on 'Loading Units 130/134' or something like that. Always 130.

Is there a way to purify my war3mapUnits.doo file or whichever it is so that the 130th unit is deleted to see if that fixed the problem?

Thanks guys I really want my map back! :vw_wtf: (But it's creepy because all these broken versions still open in the game and play just fine.)

Level 37
This is how to correctly import models:

1) Import the model and texture(s) if it the model has those
2) Save the map
3) Now you can assing then models to objects and you can place them on the map and they will show up right away in the editor
4) Place a unit/doodad/whatever using that model to see if it shows up correctly, thus being correctly imported. If not, the texture path is probably wrong. Check the texture path and save the map again. The change will not show up in the editor, only in-game or by reloading the map.
5) Don't close the map if there are any objects placed there that are incorrectly imported.

This is how to correctly import models:

1) Import the model and texture(s) if it the model has those
2) Save the map
3) Now you can assing then models to objects and you can place them on the map and they will show up right away in the editor
4) Place a unit/doodad/whatever using that model to see if it shows up correctly, thus being correctly imported. If not, the texture path is probably wrong. Check the texture path and save the map again. The change will not show up in the editor, only in-game or by reloading the map.
5) Don't close the map if there are any objects placed there that are incorrectly imported.

Hmm... the problem that the redwing.asingaurd faces isn't about importing models, but how to resolve the corruption of his map file.
============
On Topic:

Maybe it's the problem of your JNGP?

Try reinstalling JNGP, and see if it solves your problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maker has a point but his advise does not help him recover his map.

Sounds like possibly a corrupted unit model. When it loads the pre-placed units on the map it also has to load their models. If it encounters a corrupted model then it will crash. If this is the case you can recover the map by removing the corrupted model from it.

Firstly make a backup of your map before doing anything. It might appear broken but this has the potential to break it even more to a point where it might become truly unrecoverable. As long as you have a copy if anything messes up you can always try again.

Open the map in MPQEdit. Remove all ".mdl"/".mdx" files from it. Also remove all the appropriate .blp files which go with the models (be careful to not remove ones such as the mini-map, only the imported ones should be removed). It is not important to compact the archive however if you wish you can do that to greatly reduce its file size to that of no imports. Close the map in MPQEdit (or close the program if you wish) since the editor cannot open maps that are being modified.

With a bit of luck the map should now open in World Edit. All imports are gone sadly however at least this would prove the case of the problem and retain all your mapping progress un-altered. You can try repeating the process with selective import removal however if one import became corrupt there is a good chance many others might have.

Level 3
Dr. Super Good you truly are Super Good. That was exactly the problem! I narrowed it down to one single model! Now I just have to figure out what to do about that, which is a much eaiser problem. Maybe a different model. Anybody have a good model of a flaming acolyte with bat wings?

Thank you guys!! :ogre_haosis::grin:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maybe a different model. Anybody have a good model of a flaming acolyte with bat wings?
Try importing the model again. Possibly it became corrupted inside the map and not the model itself is corrupt. Even if the model is corrupt you can try downloading it again as maybe it became corrupt while downloading.

All "Approved" models on this site should work. If one is not then either you are doing something wrong with it or the file is not arriving to you intact. You can post on the model in question and possibly people could help you out.

Level 3
Hmm... I tried a lot of things, but it is unclear to me what the real problem is -- other than removing this 1 model from the 1 unit would make the map load.

Attached is the model. It's some wings and some fire thrown on an acolyte in some programs I downloaded from Hive. It imports into map, looks just fine, and even works in other maps, I think. But in this one certain map on this one certain unit it corrupts the map every time. If I removed it, it worked, and I even tried remaking the model again, got the same problem.

Attachments

• TheLobotomizerStage2.mdx
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • TheLobotomizerStage2_Portrait.mdx
    25.3 KB · Views: 40
Level 7
Maker has a point but his advise does not help him recover his map.

Sounds like possibly a corrupted unit model. When it loads the pre-placed units on the map it also has to load their models. If it encounters a corrupted model then it will crash. If this is the case you can recover the map by removing the corrupted model from it.

Firstly make a backup of your map before doing anything. It might appear broken but this has the potential to break it even more to a point where it might become truly unrecoverable. As long as you have a copy if anything messes up you can always try again.

Open the map in MPQEdit. Remove all ".mdl"/".mdx" files from it. Also remove all the appropriate .blp files which go with the models (be careful to not remove ones such as the mini-map, only the imported ones should be removed). It is not important to compact the archive however if you wish you can do that to greatly reduce its file size to that of no imports. Close the map in MPQEdit (or close the program if you wish) since the editor cannot open maps that are being modified.

With a bit of luck the map should now open in World Edit. All imports are gone sadly however at least this would prove the case of the problem and retain all your mapping progress un-altered. You can try repeating the process with selective import removal however if one import became corrupt there is a good chance many others might have.
Thank you all these years later and you saved me 5 hours of lost work that i recovered thanks to your instructions!