• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Make channeling ability non-chanelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Greetings. I am making a map and I want to make an ability called Smoke Bomb. It works a bit like Cloud ability. Problem is that the unit needs to be channeling it. I want it not to be channeling. More specifically: hero casts Smoke Bomb at point -> Create the Effect etc -> Keep the effect for the duration defined in the spell without the unit having to channel it. Thanks for reading it ;)

Level 3
Just make a dummy unit with the ability with the effects wanted. In this case the ability the dummy unit will be using is the Cloud Ability or whatever skill you want. Create a dummy skill with channel and set channel with the desired effects. Be sure to tick targeting image,point target and visible. I can't remember if there are any else. Set the AoE of channel to the same of the AoE of the ability the dummy unit is using.

Now you have your dummy skill that will be used by the casting unit and the dummy unit that will be channeling the actual ability.

Use triggers to create the dummy unit at the targeted point and order it to Cloud the targeted point. Be sure you use a variable for this. Then set a wait timer that waits as long as the cloud ability lasts. At the end of the wait, the trigger will remove the dummy unit. Or you could just use "A unit finishes channeling an ability" event and some actions to remove the dummy unit when the ability ends. However, you can't have one unit cast multiple instances of cloud because it will bug the trigger. It is possible to do but I dont know how ^^

So just use a dummy unit and a dummy skill. Unless you want me to do the triggers and post it for you.

Level 3
  • Smoke Bomb On
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Smoke Bomb (Assassin)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Target Point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
      • Unit - Set level of Smoke Bomb (Assassin) for (Last created unit) to (Level of Smoke Bomb (Assassin) for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to (Current order of (Triggering unit)) (Target point of ability being cast)

• Smoke Bomb Off
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • And - All (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Smoke Bomb (Assassin)
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Dummy
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game

I'm 90% sure that the (Ability being cast) in the Off trigger isn't right, but I cant find the right one :/

Level 3
I'm pretty sure there is an Order to Cloud the targeted point. Look under human abilities.

And the "All conditions are true" is when you are using multiple conditions and want all of them to be fulfilled before the action happens.

Level 3
I know the conditions all need to be fullfilled, that's its purpose. I want it to be like this so it wont remove normal units which might use that ability. I found the Cloud ability and tried it and didn't work :/ Dummy unit gets created by it doesnt cast the spell.

Actually, the conditions tab always check if ALL conditions are true... so no need for that blocking... also, its best to use Starts the effect of an ability...

Change the order action to Human - Dragonhawk Cloud something rather than Current order of triggering unit

also, don't make them use same abilities... let the dummy have the Smoke Bomb, while the hero/caster should have a dummy ability based on the ability "Channel" (which is the best ability to use as a dummy)

Status
Not open for further replies.