• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Magic the Gathering: Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Magic the Gathering:
Defense!

attachment.php

1. Introduction

This map is inspired by the mechanics created by a popular trading game - Magic the Gathering (MtG), which I will try to interpret as best as I can in this map about defending yourself against waves of enemies.

For players familiar with the card game, you will find many creatures and spells from the MtG universe re-created in this map and hopefully that would make the learning curve easier for you to grasp. As for players new to MtG, it is my great pleasure to introduce you to this wonderful world of magical creatures and bizarre tactics.

The aim of this map is to provide between 20-30 minutes of tactical fun for a single player.

2. The Game

Map Type: Single Player Survival Defense

The rules are simple: You are a monolith with 20 lives and you must survive until the round ends.

Sounds easy? Then let me increase the stakes a little - You are located at the middle of the island and enemy creatures will come attacking from 3 different directions. These creatures are summoned by enemy bosses, 3 in total, 1 on each far corner of the island. Defeating these bosses at the end of each round is the only way to proceed to the next round.

attachment.php

And here comes the real challenge - your only means of defense comes in the form of 5 different magics, distinctly represented by the colours White, Blue, Black, Red, and Green. You begin with only a little knowledge on the magic colour of your choice, but it will increase as you progress further in the game. These powerful magics allow you to summon creatures to defend you and to cast powerful spells.

attachment.php

3. Card List

1. The Colour on the Spell Names denote their magic colour
2. Due to the creature-intensive gameplay of this map, many of the original cards have been altered for the sake of a better balance.

Spell NameType
Mana Cost
Text
Card Origin

Healing SalveInstant
You gain 3 life; or one of your creatures become Indestructible until end of turn.
Link

Soul WardenCreature - Human Cleric
Whenever you summon another creature other than Soul Warden, you gain 1 life. Stacking: ie if you control 3 Soul Wardens and you summon
another creature, you gain 3 life.
[1/1]
Link

UmbraAura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2.
When enchanted creature takes lethal damage or is killed by a destroy effect,
the creature will be revived while Umbra will be destroyed in place of it.
Link

Courier HawkCreature - Bird
Flying, Vigilance
[1/2]
Link

Knight of the White OrchidCreature - Human Knight
First Strike
When Knight of the Orchid is summoned and you control less creatures than
the enemy, the next mana interval arrives 5 seconds quicker and replenishes 1 additional mana.
[2/2]
Link

Wing ShardsInstant
Destroy an enemy creature within your inner sanctum.
Then for each other spell you have cast this turn, another random creature within your inner sanctum owned by the same enemy will be destroyed.
Creatures destroyed this way cannot be regenerated.
Link

Paladin en vecCreature - Human Knight
First Strike, Protection from Black and from Red
[2/2]
Link

Arbalest EliteCreature - Human Archer
[Acticate, 30 seconds] : Arbalest Elite deals 3 damage to an enemy creature within your inner sanctum.
[3/3]
Link

IndestructibilityAura
When you cast Indestructibility, you gain 6 life.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and gains the Indestructible ability.
Link

Angel of MercyCreature - Angel
Flying, Protection from Black
When you summon Angel of Mercy, you gain 1 life for each white colored creature that you have.
[3/3]
Link

Wrath of GodInstant
Destroy all non-boss creatures. They cannot be regenerated.
Link

Zephyr SpriteCreature - Faerie
Flying
[1/1]
Link

UnsummonInstant
Removes one of your creatures from the game; or returns an enemy creature back to its spawn zone.
You receive +1 Hand Size
Link

DisruptInstant
Counter target creature or spell it its level is 2 or less.
You receive +1 Hand Size
Link

Spellstutter SpriteCreature - Faerie
Flying
When you summon Spellstutter Sprite, you may counter target creature or
spell if its level is lesser than or equal to the number of Faeries you control.
[1/2]
Link

CharismaAura
You gain control of enchanted creature if its level is 2 or less. Otherwise Charisma would have no effect.
Link

Temporal AdeptCreature - Human Wizard
[Protection from Red]
[Activate, 20 seconds]: Returns an enemy creature back to its spawn zone.
[Activate, 60 seconds]: Receives +1 Hand Size.
[1/1]
Link

Spiketail DrakelingCreature - Drake
Flying
[Sacrifice]: Counter target creature or spell if its
level is 4 or less.
[2/1]
Link

RewindInstant
Counter target creature or spell. You regain 4 mana.
Link

Sower of TemptationCreature - Faerie Wizard
Flying
When you summon Sower of Temptation, you may choose to gain control of an enemy non-boss creature. That creature stays under your control for as long as Sower of Temptation is alive.
[2/2]
Link

CouatlCreature - Couatl Wizard
Flying, Protection from Green
When you summon Couatl, you receive +2 Hand Size.
[3/4]
(Custom)

Taste of BloodInstant
Deals 1 damage to a creature and you gain 1 life.
Link

Vampire LaceratorCreature - Vampire
When you summon Vampire Lacerator, you lose 1 life for each Vampire Lacerator that you control.
[2/2]
Link

Unholy StrengthAura
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1
Link

BloodghastCreature - Vampire, Spirit
Bloodghast cannot permanently die. If it would be killed, it can return to life at any time whenever an effect causes you to gain life.
Bloodghast is unaffected by summoning sickness as long as you have 10 life or less.
[2/1]
Link

Feast of BloodInstant
(Only effective if you control at least 2 Vampire-type creatures)
Destroys an enemy creature. You gain 4 life.
Link

Malakir BloodwitchCreature - Vampire, Shaman
Flying, Protection from White
As you summon Malakir Bloodwitch, it deals X damage to target creature and you gain X life, where X is equal to the number of vampire-type creatures that you have.
[1/3]
Link

InfestInstant
All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn.
Link

EradicateInstant
Removes an enemy creature from the game. Each other creature that are exact copies of the chosen creature gets removed from the game as well.
Link

Scavenger DrakeCreature - Drake
Flying
Whenever another one of your creature dies, Scavenger Drake gets a permanent +1/+1.
[1/1]
Link

Trashing WumpusCreature - Beast
[Activate , 1 mana]: Trashing Wumpus deals 1 damage to each creature and 1 damage to your monolith.
When you summon Trashing Wumpus, it deals 1 damage to each creature and 1 damage to your monolith.
[3/4]
Link

Consume the MeekInstant
Destroys all creatures that are level 3 or less. They cannot be regenerated.
You gain 1 life for each creature destroyed this way.
Link

Lightning BoltInstant
Deals 3 damage to a creature.
Link

Goblin ProspectorCreature - Goblinr
Whenever a goblin-type creature you control dies, you regain 1 mana.
[1/1]
Link

Torpid MolochCreature - Lizard
Defender
[3/2]
Link

Volcanic SprayInstant
Deals 1 damage to each non-Flying creatures.
Link

Goblin WardriverCreature - Goblin Warrior
When Goblin Wardriver dies, each of your other creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn.
[2/2]
Link

Chandra's SpitfireCreature - Elemental
Flying
Whenever you cast an Instant spell, Chandra's Spitfire gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
[1/3]
Link

CarbonizeInstant
Deals 3 damage to an enemy creature, it cannot be regenerated.
After that, Carbonize deals 1 damage to each other creature owned by the same player
Link

FlamtongueCreature - Lizard
When you summon Flametongue, it deals 4 damage to a creature of your choice.
[4/2]
Link

ClickslitherCreature - Insect
Haste
[Consume a Goblin]: Clickslither gets +2/+2 and gains the Trample ability until end of turn.
[3/3]
Link

Fire ServantCreature - Elemental
Whenever you cast a red magic Instantaneous spell that deals damage, it deals double that damage. (Cummulative stacking effect - eg: 2 Fire Servants increase damage by x4. 3 Fire Servants increase damage by x8 etc.)
[4/3]
Link

EarthquakeInstant
Deals X damage to each creature without flying and X damage to your monolith, where X is the amount of mana spent on this spell and not more than 5.
Link

Llanowar ElfCreature - Elf Druid
[Activate, 60 seconds]: Adds 1 mana to your monolith.
[1/1]
Link

Ezuri's ArcherCreature - Elf Archer
Reach
[1/2]
Link

Giant GrowthInstant
A creature of your choice gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Link

Evish WarriorCreature - Elf Warrior
[2/3]
Link

Aggressive UrgeInstant
A creature of your choice gets +1/+1 and gains the 'Trample' ability until end of turn.
You receive +1 Hand Size.
Link

Sporecap SpiderCreature - Spider
Reach
[Activate, X sec] : Sporecap Spider deals either 1, 2, or 3 damage to an enemy flying creature. Activate cost is 15 seconds per point of damage.
[1/5]
Link

DryadCreature - Dryad
When you summon Dryad, you gain 2 life and all other friendly creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn.
[1/1]
(Custom)

Hunted TrollCreature - Troll
Regenerate
When you summon Hunted Troll, two 1/1 blue Faerie creatures with Flying will spawn at each of the three enemy spawn zones.
[8/4]
Link

Elemental ResonanceAura
At the beginning of each turn, you gain X mana and 5 minus X life, where X is equal to enchanted creature's level. (You won't lose life if enchanted creature's level is greater than 5)
Only one Elemental Resonance per creature allowed.
Link

Ageless SentinelCreature - Elemental
Whenever you gain life, Ageless Sentinel gets a permanent +1/+1.
[4/4]
Link

HurricaneInstant
Deals X damage to each creature with flying and X damage to your monolith, where X is the amount of mana spent on this spell and not more than 5.
Link

X. Map Progress

As this map is a work in progress, I welcome and value any feedback I get!

Whether you are familiar with MtG and wish to suggest some cards that you'd like to see in the game, or if you are new to MtG but have ideas on how to make this game improve and easier to understand, I am all ears to hear what you have to say.

Also I am looking for truly interested parties who have a good grasp of the game mechanics, or simply likes to think of new & interesting ideas, to join me as a project member. (Yes, I'm recruiting!)

As for the time schedule, I will work on the map every weekend whenever time permits, or at the very least each fortnight. So it will be another 2 to 3 months before I can call the final release.

The progress so far:

3 Playable Rounds
55 Different types of Magic (11 per colour, 5 colours total)
40 Different Enemy Creatures
10 Different Bosses

The Goal:

Possible AdditionsPriority
Add Round 3Medium
Add Round 4 and aboveLow
Add Special Rounds (Where players may play as an attacker, and other extreme stuff)High
Possible AdditionsPriority
Multi-colored SpellsHigh
Legendary CreaturesMedium
ArtifactsLow
Global EnchantmentsScrapped

Current Map Version is v2.5a

Some Trivia: This map was made for the Weekend Mapping Madness #2 Contest, and all the bosses are named in honour of my fellow contestants (with several more to come). If you'd like to volunteer yourself to become a boss and have an awesome idea for it, let me hear it. If I think it is good then I'll make you one of the bosses, and give you in-game credits too ;)

(Credits to DonDustin, Jazzztastic, Bugz, figueiredo00, Fan @PROXY, Death Chef, Aeroblyctos, bowser499, Magtheridon96 and Brambleclaw for being the Bosses in this map :xxd:)

v2.4 (25th Dec 2011)
  • Finalized Round 1. All 3 enemies now cast spells. North enemy will cast 'TERROR' which instantly kills a non-black creature; East enemy will cast 'GIANT GROWTH' which boosts the stats of one of its creatures; South enemy has a creature that can cast 'ZAP', dealing 1 damage to its target.
  • Removed a couple of bugs, notably Ezuri's Archer (which previously deals no damage) and some counterspells which were able to target creatures outside of Spawn Zones. Probably still a bunch of undetected bugs left which I will fix as I go.
  • Although there are two new level 4 spells (the white spell Arbalest Elite and the green spell Hunted Troll), I have decided against making them available for Round 1, meaning players are still limited to magic levels 1-3. Magic cap for Round 1 also increased from 4 to 5. (You may still access the level 4 spells via cheat code)

v2.5a (13th Jan 2012)

• Completed a playable Round 2.
  • Finished Level 4 & 5 magics, adding a total of 20 new spells to the game.
  • Many tweaks to old spells: The red magics of Raging Goblin, Kiln Fiend and Incinerate have been replaced by Goblin Prospector, Goblin Wardriver and Carbonize respectively. Plague Spitter replaced by Malakir Bloodwitch; Spellstutter Sprite's stats raised from 1/1 to 1/2; Sporecap Spider and Temporal Adept gained new abilities.
  • The usual bug fixes that made me facepalm and wonder 'how the heck did I not see that?'

- Continue to balance and update Round 2.
- Start planning for what I'd like to see in Round 3.

Attachments

• MtG00.jpg
    MtG00.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 922
  • MtG01.jpg
    MtG01.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 697
  • MtG04.jpg
    MtG04.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • mtg05.jpg
    mtg05.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 554
  • MagicTheGathering_Defense v2.5a.w3x
    793.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Level 16
Updated the map a bit, mostly bug fixing. The chief feature of this update (v2.4) is that Round 1 Bosses now cast spells, making things a tad more complicated for the player as your creatures are no longer 100% safe.

Next update in a week! (if time permits :cgrin:)

Level 16
An update of the map.

For those who have tried the previous version, you may be interested to know that I've added a playable Round 2, complete with 20 new high-tier spells. A total of 10 purchase points for Round 2, which I strongly advise to be spent on maxing-out two magic colours of your choice.

You will find that Round 2 has a significant increase in difficulty, which I will briefly explain below:

- Aeroblyctos, the South Boss, has a bunch of high-hp creatures, and to top it off he also cast buffs to further increase his creatures' longevity.

- Magtheridon96, the East Boss, is a badass who has an array of blasting spells which he will throw at you and your creatures. You may find many of your creatures killed by his spells alone if you aren't paying enough attention.

- And bowser499, the North Boss, has creatures pumped up with protective abilities, rendering most of your blasting spells ineffective against his side.

-------------------------

Well that's about all for this update. During the past two weeks I have given some thought to the direction I wanted this map to take and I think that a short 20-minute challenge would be the best bet. I think that I'll also give the player the choice to briefly play as an attacker in a mini game as side-serving. That's for the next update, hopefully ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.