• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

madman9800 terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This will be the official thread for my terrain screenshots.

1. Just a hut in a forest.
2. Same as above, a little furthur zoom.
3. Shaman traveling on a road in the forest. He's being stalked by trolls.
4. Same as above, exept its a footman, and changed camera.
5. A dense rain forest, in game shot.
6. A dense rain forest, world editor shot.

Attachments

• hitm1.jpg
    hitm1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 281
  • hitm2.jpg
    hitm2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 242
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 220
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 244
  • rf2.jpg
    rf2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 197
  • rf1.jpg
    rf1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Level 34
The second one looks really good! +rep

The first one has a hill in the background that is plain on the top, I would cover it! Those damn trees ruin some of it, stupid Blizzard trees!

Level 10
<Offspring>, thank you for the comment :)

UchihaSasuke.gr, my brother also said that the footman ruined it, thats why i made one with the shaman, i thought it looked better, my bro said that one with a jungle stalker or something would look even better...and i agree i did put too much flower in the 1st and 2nd one, thats because at first i was just playing around with mass flowering lol, and then i looked at it and it didnt look too bad so left it.

Gilles, i agree, it would look really nice in an rpg, all my terrains are playable, and there all 256x256, so someday i might join them together to make one massive single player rpg (like the one that came with warcraft) or i might just give them away to someone who might want them.

p.s. 2 new screenshots added, please give feedback.
p.p.s Belgarath, thank you for telling me that its p.p.s, and not p.s.s. :)

Level 8
1, I really like it for whatever reason. However it just doesn't feel right with those cliffs. Oh and are all those flowers same angled? Something doesn't look right.
2, Same as above. Better shot, kudos to you. Both are a bit dark when I come to think of it, make it slightly lighter.
3, Nice and dandy, but the fog/sky just looks terribly wrong in my eyes. The front half of the picture is bright, yet the part way back is all dark and foggy. Either spread the fog so that it covers everything or just make the weather good. Whatever. :p
4, Looks good but: See above.
5&6, Really good job on that rainforest. However the shots are not good and doesn't do the terrain justice.

Level 34
The waterfall could use work, It looks weird. Maybe stack a couple of waterfall doodads to make it thicker, and add more rocks around it.

You river is too plain, add doodads in the water and on the shore, but overall these are all really good pieces!

Level 10
seruk , thank you very much for your feedback, it was very helpful, i agree that the fogged sky dosnt look good in that road picture, thats why i made one with dalaron sky. And to think of it none of my screenshots are very good lol, they always have something wrong with them, but i dont care about the shots, as long as the terrain is good.

Gilles, the river is too plain, but i really suck at water terraining, i just have absulutely no idea on what to place and where to place it :(

Level 34
Tint some river rushes to a color that matches your terrain, then make their variation 3 not 4. Add those in. Use Cattails, clump them together in spots and add floating lily pads in them as if they got stuck. Throw some shrubs and other plants in there, put them in the rocks. Maybe add some seashells on the shore, add some rocks on the shore, and maybe a tree or two.

If the cattails and river rushes don't match your terrain just add the shrubs and plants.

Level 34
Awesome job! Thanks for the credit, but you can leave that out ;) It's all your work. I would rep, but alas I have to spread the rep around more.

I really like that tree in the middle.

Level 24
You got potential to become a good terrainer!
I suggest you dont mass to much doodads and make them such close togheter.
Add some variation and try to keep enviroment doodads matching with the ground texture!
Roots + shrubs = not so good
Roots + entagling roots (the goldmine entagling ability model) = good
Else i wouldnt suggest using the root terrain.
Use ashenvale grass + ashenvale grassy dirt, they are my personal favorite beacuse they fade nicely into eachother!

Level 10
ragingspeedhorn, the reason why i made that beach initially was because i was going to place some animals there, but i couldnt find a crocadile model :( or anything else that i was really intreasted in, ill change the beach later.

Nudl9, i also love mixing ashenvale grass and ashenvale grassy dirt, you could even add lumpy grass between them and all 3 blend in quite nicely.

Craka_J Thank you for the rep once again :)

=================================================

This is my 1st attempt at making a desert terrain, and here is what i have so far.

Its just a centaur khan in his hut, made out of skulls of many animals that he has killed...i think i did a nice job on the hut, but i hate how empty the desert seems, but isnt a desert suppose to be empty? still i feel like the desert sucks, so i need some suggestions on what to add...Thanks :)

oh and i almost forgot, the sun in the 2nd picture was added using photoshop, when i was cropping the image i had the idea of adding a sun, lol, so dont ask me how i got that sun in wc3, cuz i didnt...

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 95
Level 34
I really like the second one. The first isn't so great, that hut needs work.

Did you make those reflection rings?

Level 10
Doesn't really give me the feeling of a desert. The second one is only good because the burning sun effect added.

i agree, i guess im just not good with desert terraining, iv never tried terraining a city...hmmm might do that later, but right now i think im best with forest/jungles.

tommorrow (hopefully) i will post a new terrain, and it will be one of the best i'v ever done, just wait and see o.0

Level 24
Bit to much SFX, the fog kinda ruins it.
The lens flare is a good idea though, looks kinda cool and gives a little feeling of the burning sun in the desert!

Else i wouldnt suggest that you work with the barren tileset, its boring, plain and to grey'ish looking (i mean that it looks pretty much all the same).

Work with Ashenvale, or the village tilesets, they are probably the best tilesets for terraining! (Sunken Ruins and Icecrown glacier are good aswell, but to sharp and edgy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.