• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

LOwer Quality Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have one tga file, and there is a way to compress it to 48kb ( which I dont know).
The smaller one is compressed by my friend, but he's offline now.
Problem is that image is up side down. When I use paint to edit it, and transfer to tga, it turn to 64kb again.
Please show me how to compress this.

Attachments

• war3mapPreview.tga
    64 KB · Views: 49
  • war3mapPreview2.tga
    48 KB · Views: 44
By the ways, can you two give me some advice to compress image ?

For TGA, there is run-length encoding (RLE compression). Some image programs may allow you to choose that option e.g. Photoshop. It is lossless so you don't lose out on quality.

Also, when you import a TGA into the map, it is compressed even further through zlib compression, so you'll end up saving a few more kb. For example, your 49 kb TGA might only take up ~41 kb when imported in the map.

However, I don't recommend directly working with TGA's. There are very few accessible means of compressing them. Instead, you should convert the TGA to BLP with BLP Lab (check our Tools section), and then compress the BLP. It has the option of JPEG compression and paletted compression (similar to GIF files). These ones are lossy compressions (as in, you'll lose out on some quality), but you can usually compress it a bit without sacrificing too much. I recommend compressing any textures you import.

Just fiddle around with it. You would just open BLP Lab, open your TGA (File -> Open), and then save it compressed (File -> Save As, choose a place to save it, choose compression options, then hit save). Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.