• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

looking for game mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
So there was this one map/game-mode I used to play like a decade ago on Warcraft 3. I've been trying to search for this map, but the problem is, I don't quite remember what it's called. I somewhat remember some key words, but I don't know for sure if they were actually there. I remember "team", "footman", "royale", and "deluxe". I do think it is related to the "Footman Frenzy" or "Footman Wars" maps, but this one is more detailed. You can choose just about any race, dwarves being one of them, you have a selection of heroes to choose from, and there are shops to purchase some neat items from. The map also has game-modes within itself, such as building towers at all the placements around the center circle of the map and then holding it. One of the items that I very much remember, except for the name, is where it gives the user the "Immolation Cloak" effect (assuming I spelled that right), but it's red. And it also shoots phoenix projectiles automatically to nearby enemies, igniting them so when they die, they explode. It's a really cool item that I just loved using. And there are multiple routes to, but they only really come in handy if you wanna sneak around to destroy an enemy castle. Now that I mentioned "castle", it may potentially have also involved that as well.
Anyway, that's about all I remember. If this rings any bells for anyone, or if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know. I'd love to start playing that map again.

Level 1
Did you search on epicwar? Gets a bit tricky with the keywords, but they most probably got the map.
Yeah I tried. I'll keep looking, sure, but the main issue is I don't remember exactly what it's called. There's also so many Footman Wars and Footman Frenzy maps that for all I know, the one I'm looking for is buried somewhere in the middle of like a hundred pages.

Level 1
So I'd also like to point out that I remember what the map looked like for the most part, but I also remember the thumbnail did not show what map looked like. It wasn't a question mark either. I don't remember what it showed. And I have gotten it from Epicwar in the past. But again, it's likely gotten so buried that it can't seem to be found anymore. And the search that yields the most results, at least most relevant, is when I search "footman", since it shares some of the same mechanics. You choose a race and units that align with that race spawn automatically and you send them out. You also have a hero to use as well.
The simplest way I can describe it, though it's a matter perspective, it's like the most refined version of Footman Frenzy that I've seen as it offers the most out of all the ones I played. And the AI does participate, unlike alot of the Footman Frenzy games I've played.
So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you try pointing me in the right direction in this giant haystack I have to dig through?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
Yeah I tried. I'll keep looking, sure, but the main issue is I don't remember exactly what it's called. There's also so many Footman Wars and Footman Frenzy maps that for all I know, the one I'm looking for is buried somewhere in the middle of like a hundred pages.
Try searching here on this site maps tagged as Footman Frenzy and/or Altered Melee and what else you think fits.

Level 1
Unfortunately, what I'm looking for doesn't seem to be here. Maybe I'm limiting myself with adding anything older than 2015 as a filter, but doubtful. I played this game mode while I was in middle school and I graduated high school in 2015, so the map woulda been around long before that. If it's not here, it's probably in Epicwar as mentioned, but even then I've searched through a hundred pages of Footmen Frenzy and couldn't find it. And Epicwar doesn't have much of a filter to work with. If I was really good at making maps, I'd make it myself, but I dunno how to program things. The main thing is it starts you off with a default race, and you can type in chat what race you wanna switch to, but only once. I believe it also starts with giving you an option to choose what game mode to play. You can play normally, you can play a sort of control game mode where you maintain control of the middle, you can have like a tower war where you try to build all 8 towers in the middle, and there's a hero arena mode.
As for what the map looked like, it was a city/castle-like map. No grass that I recall and there was a river that cuts right down the middle of the map, except for the actual center. Then the river I believe goes around on both sides under bridges. But the river is shallow is you can go down to it and try to flank. With enough patience, I probably could put together what the map looked like, and the things it would be missing are the mechanics, the races, the heroes and their abilities, and the items, though the item that matters most to me I believe is called Phoenix Cloak or something. I've described it in a previous post.
Also all the bases are on elevated ground, so all the units move down the slope, then past a market, and they'll often meet enemies right in the center. I believe towers can be build near the bases as well, I'm not sure.
Like I said, this is like the most refined/detailed version of Footman Wars that I've seen, if it's even considered a Footman Wars game.
If only I remembered the one important thing about this map in order to find it.

Level 21
could that be it? looks like 8 towers in the middle

Safe to assume the map got released past 2007, since the Pheonix Cloak was an item most probably inspired by Wow - The burning crusade (released 2007). Which still would leave you with hundreds of Footmen frenzies to look through :goblin_boom:

And the problem, that sometimes they called it FootmEn instead of Footman.

Last edited:
Level 1
could that be it? looks like 8 towers in the middle

Save to assume the map got released past 2007, since the Pheonix Cloak was an item most probably inspired by Wow - The burning crusade (released 2007). Which still would leave you with hundreds of Footmen frenzies to look through :goblin_boom:

And the problem, that sometimes they called it FootmEn instead of Footman.
Not it. Those what you call towers are shops or fountains already placed on the map.
And I've searched both ways, Footmen and Footman.
And again, I'm not even sure if it's called Footman Frenzy, or if it even involves the word "Footman". All I know is it has Footman Frenzy elements to it. One would think that would be enough to eventually find it, but so far, no luck.
Now I have a question about something I hadn't considered a possibility, probably because I didn't want to. Can a map be removed so it can't be found again? Because if so, I really hope that's not what happened.

Last edited:
Level 1
So thinking back, again, not 100% sure, but I there may be a blue footman as a thumbnail. Background may be white and there may be text. But again, I'm not sure. I know it's not the ones where the thumbnail is a red footman's face. I'm about 70% sure it was a blue unit of some sort.
I'm trying to look on wc3maps.com. No luck so far. I feel like I should stop searching using "footmen" or "footman", but then my issue is what do I search with? I don't know of any game-modes that are similar to footmen frenzy other than the currently nameless one I'm trying to find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.