• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Localized Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I have a section of my map that represents an underground area and would like it to always be dark regardless of what time of day it is. I had two ideas of how to do this, but wasn't sure if they are possible.
The first would be to somehow set the terrain, doodads, and units within the region to always show their midnight lighting setting regardless of what time of day it actually was. The other was to have a cinematic fade filter that applied to a player when his camera was within that region. Other players would not be affected.
If anyone knows if either method is possible and how to make it happen, I'd really appreciate it.

Level 14
If you want a really great way to do it you could set the DayNight Cycle (DNC) Model to '''','''' and everything will be completely dark. Then you can use omnilights and attach them to your units. There are some good tutorials. The one I used when starting out was this by Belegarth.
You can modify it how you want, so it is more of a light radius than a torch, but it really makes everything look realistically dark. All you have to do when you are done is reset the DNC Model to the one used by the map.

Level 14
Rather than do that I would just set the map to 'night' using triggers whenever you enter the appropriate areas like caves. Then when you leave the caves you can set it back to the regular DNC model with triggers. When I have time I can give you the appropriate triggers you would need.

Status
Not open for further replies.