• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Lands of Sorcery (name pending)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
allow me to present the map i am currently working on.

i really hope dark.revenant won't walk in again and steal the concept and make a map with the same fucking name and claim it as his original work.

lands of sorcery (name likely to change)

what is it?
the map is basically an aos map, but quite different from the popular kind of aos. it has elements of many different kinds of maps.

the basic idea?
similar to the way you buy weapons in battletanks, you will be able to buy spells in lands of sorcery. these spells will not be levelable. there will be a total of 5 spell "types", equivalent to the colors of the magic trading card game.

these will be:
-fire/lightning (red) = powerful and destructive aoe spells
-water/frost (blue) = complex spells with no direct damage (allowing combos)
-nature (green) = mostly summons and friendly buffs
-darkness (black) = mostly curses or single target damage spells
-light (white) = healing spells, beneficial auras and stuff like that

[the description of the spell types is very generalized. there will also be "fire" summons, and "water" damage spells]

the general idea of the spells is to make them somewhat complex, but not to complicated or trigger-heavy, so that players can discover powerful combinations of spells

every spell kind will be asigned to a hotkey, to facilitate use. needles to say every hero will be only be able to carry 1 spell of every category simultaneously.

for every spell category, there will be a whole arsenal of spells to choose from, with varying cost and effects.

how does this work?
so lets say every hero starts with 10 spell points (lumber). they can choose to equip their hero with 2 spells that both cost 5 spell points, or one more powerful spell that costs 10 spell points.

as you see, spells and discovering effective combinations is the basic fun factor of the map.

im aiming to get the overall quality of the map very high, to give it a competitive feel. needless to say the most time consuming and dedication requiring part of developing the map will be creating the very spells. although i will probably release the map as soon as i have around 12 spells of every category, and add more spells as time goes by or fix imbalances after beta tests.

progress?
until this point there is nothing but the terrain and a very solid concept.

screenshots

Level 8
Terrain looks sick, the last screenie looks empty though.

I hate the name, "lands of sorcery" It's too cheesy......

Good luck with your map, theres lots of good AoS out there like Desert of Exile, Dota (Bah), and shitz. Checkem out before makin your own. Hopely your map can be high quality as these maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.