• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Is there a way to load maps faster?

Level 5
Is there a way to reduce the timeout when entering the map without having to cut the number of units in the map
1692358011646.png

Level 20
The Event Map Initialization runs when the map is loading thereby increasing loading time. One can often use the event Time Elapsed instead. With this logic one could create the units or everything else really on the map once the map has started. The drawback is that the game stutters a bit when it runs the actions once the game has started.

A lot of object editor data can drastically increase loading time f.e. having an ability with 1000 levels.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I think ability level data is loaded when the ability enters the game, so the game would once again stutter on map start, or when the unit with big ability enters the map.
The Event Map Initialization runs when the map is loading thereby increasing loading time. One can often use the event Time Elapsed instead. With this logic one could create the units or everything else really on the map once the map has started. The drawback is that the game stutters a bit when it loads the data once the game has started.

A lot of object editor data can drastically increase loading time f.e. having an ability with 1000 levels.

Level 20
I think ability level data is loaded when the ability enters the game, so the game would once again stutter on map start, or when the unit with big ability enters the map.
I made a few tests and found this: Creating the ability with 1000 levels in the object editor didnt increase loading time at all. Adding the ability to a unit within the object editor increased the loading time by 5-10 seconds. Not having the ability on the unit in the object editor but instead placing a unit on the map and then adding the ability after the game had started caused the game to freeze for a few seconds while it loaded the ability.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Assuming Warcraft III is already installed on a decent SSD, then long loading times are usually the result of poor scaling with some of the algorithms the developers choose.

The case I identified was with loading localised strings for abilities. An ability with 100,000 levels without any localised strings loads as good as instantly, but add localised strings for each level and it can take a significant amount of time to load. I suspect the scaling is worse than linear but did not take reliable measurements or resolve if it is due to the length of the localised string file, or the number of levels of the ability. This was given to the Reforged developers so I am unsure if fixes for that case made it out with their final patches or if they never had the resources to look into the issue.