• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Is the concept good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi to all.... this is my first post (and its a thread!)....

I was wondering if this Custom Hero Arena concept is good enough. Basically, heroes start with 5 abilities and can be upgraded 4 times. Also, this map uses the Diablo III UI and Camera Settings. (I added a "rotate camera" function to be customizable). I just wanna know if its "FUN" for other people.... its hard to judge your map's fun factor realistically :(

Please don't post insults.... its my first map :thumbs_up:

:fp:DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?9z4kof9mvdos89x

SIDE NOTE: This map still has no credits..... im gonna continue this map if its "fun"....

EDIT: Is it better to have a "free" camera? or a locked one?

Last edited:
Level 2
well i was trying to make something a little bit different from standard arena maps....

anyways, how can it ruin gameplay? would you please explain a little? like is it hard for people who play the map or something? thanks :D

Level 2
hmmm good point. i can also see that this kinda make a hero somewhat "boring" to play during mid levels since you keep on casting the same abilities over and over again. thanks for the feedback :D +REP

Just a lil experimenting on that camera system.....

Level 6
I have no problem with the abilities at start idea.

An idea i had for an arena map is a new type of selection system. Basically, you start with a selector unit which can freely move around the map (or around the area where the heroes will be able to go). You choose a hero by using a spell from the selector. This way, you choose where you spawn.

Furthermore, when you die, instead of respawning, you receive another selector.

Note that this will likely only work on FFA maps with no scaling (no ability levels, items etc), as it produces a constant fight with people picking heroes immediately after dying. Imo, a lot of fighting should result in a more fun arena, so you could implement something like this :)

I bet a lot of people would dislike it though.

Level 2
hmmm that seems rather fun, new and exciting. the only problem is that a lot of people are too lazy to control the orb let alone waiting to be revived (no offense, just tryin to be realistic here :p)

btw still trying to figure out that camera system. havin trouble setting the camera with a fixed height offset (making it not zoom / zoom out over super cliffs) gonna search if theres a guide somewhere here in the hive

Level 26
You should make the camera both locked and releaseable.

In the end, every player would want to release it as it's easier to fight with a free camera, so I think you should leave it. This also characterizes the map at the moment but set the angle of attack a bit less steep and you can hardly use the minimap so maybe display arrows that point into the direction of allies when they are out of sight. The camera does not rotate properly when you press left/right too many times.

I do agree with the point mentioned about not having all abilities from the beginning or at least reduce the abilities' power, they are all too strong but the other side is that sniper and demonhunter only have one active skill currently, which is of course insufficient. The map should consist more of point-targeted spells that go with the fast sporty action like you can aim people over the abysses.

The esc-menu is inconvenient and the bonuses are so high that you can completely descale your hero, turning ranged into a tank. The bonuses are especially exaggerated when you consider that you exclusively get xp from killing, creating a heavy snowball effect. Would suggest to remove them and only have your specializations from the ability menu + item builds, maybe receive xp over time.

Finally, the mode is bad. You randomly respawn over all the field, immediately being able to attack and be attacked. FFA or multiple teams would probably make more sense or if you want a tournament character, turn it into something like capture the flag or bombing run.

Level 2
In the end, every player would want to release it as it's easier to fight with a free camera, so I think you should leave it. This also characterizes the map at the moment but set the angle of attack a bit less steep and you can hardly use the minimap so maybe display arrows that point into the direction of allies when they are out of sight. The camera does not rotate properly when you press left/right too many times.

I do agree with the point mentioned about not having all abilities from the beginning or at least reduce the abilities' power, they are all too strong but the other side is that sniper and demonhunter only have one active skill currently, which is of course insufficient. The map should consist more of point-targeted spells that go with the fast sporty action like you can aim people over the abysses.

The esc-menu is inconvenient and the bonuses are so high that you can completely descale your hero, turning ranged into a tank. The bonuses are especially exaggerated when you consider that you exclusively get xp from killing, creating a heavy snowball effect. Would suggest to remove them and only have your specializations from the ability menu + item builds, maybe receive xp over time.

Finally, the mode is bad. You randomly respawn over all the field, immediately being able to attack and be attacked. FFA or multiple teams would probably make more sense or if you want a tournament character, turn it into something like capture the flag or bombing run.

Now thats what i call an extremely useful feedback. BTW, i already knew what you said in that last paragraph. like i said, i just released this if the "concept" is good enough but still, it was helpful. Also note that I already changed almost all of the stuff you said. Also i find that the "xp over time" is actually nice. ima try that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.