• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Is cinematic skipping important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Hey, I don't know if this is the right section to ask about this, but oh well. Anyway, I'm working on a campaign, and I would say it's almost done, I got one more map to do. But, I realized that maybe I should add the triggers so that cinematics in my maps are skippable. This turned out to be a lot of work (well, atleast for me), so I'm wondering is it really so important to make cinematic skippable? I mean, I don't really mind seeing the same cinematic a lot of times unless it's really long, but I don't know about other people. So I'm just wondering if I should make it skippable, or leave it as it it.
Thanks

Level 26
Answer is: yes.
Especially is it's multiplayer map, although it's great idea in SP too.

Just think for a while about those who retry part of your map every time they die (whatever) and they're forced to watch freaking move all the time. They rather leave your map alone if you don't make such things possible, unless scenes are shortcuts (less than 5sec) :S

Level 37
Definitely skipping is needed. It doesn't matter if it's single or multi-player.

You can do the cinematic skipping with easy way that doesn't need much of work. My way is that there's 3 seconds timer at the beginning of each cinematic when player is able to skip. It's easy to do and simple. However bad side of course is that the cinematic cannot be skipped while it's actually running.

So far, only few have complained about my way and I'm going to stick with it.

Level 26
Way too many players in MP cancel aiding introduction videos out of habit, then do not know what to do and leave on first occasion. I think now and then a little passage can be enforced, particularly important parts or you allow skipping only after the first 2 seconds, so the player gets an impression and does not skip on accident.

Level 27
Thanks for your opinion. I think I'll make that some cinematics are skippable, and that some aren't, mainly the ones that do something important in the map. I may still change my mind, but I'll see.

EDIT: Actually, now that I've learned how to do it, I'm just going to make every cinematic skippable. It's not really so much work after all ^^

Last edited:
Level 28
I'd make every cinematic skippable, using the timing method.

Most of my experience in playing maps is when they still have bugs or other issues that require restarting a lot, so seeing the same cinematic over and over gets grating very fast. Skippable cinematics make it easier all around, by letting the player get to the important parts. And if they never look at the scenes even on the first time... welll, that's their problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.