• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
There's 9 free hero icons I think (hide your own hero, there's no need for that icon to show) and use those 9 icons for abilities, so when you click an icon, the spell is automatically cast?

Souns like a great idea to me. But I know nothing about triggers and such so I would not know.

Level 5
It would look quite bad since you can only go to f7 i belive before it affect the Quest/log/menú system, but anyway, it's worth a try :thumbs_up:

Hotkeys 1,2,3 etc. would be hard to make, it would at least require changes in the Wc:III core files :razz:

Nah, maybe not in the core files, but it would probably need some extremely awesome triggers.

Level 21
Sorry but it isn't. You need reverse engineering on the warcraft 3 engine itself in order to do that. That's basically what RTC will be doing: modifying some core aspects of warcraft 3 by adding native jass functions. In jass the only keys you can detect are arrow keys and escape keys. As Craka_J has already said: Wc3:WoW will no longer use RTC since that separate project is probably even more of a WIP than Wc3:Wow itself. Maybe in the future, but not now.

By using hero buttons as abilities you could also detect (with a small delay) whenever F1 to F7 is pressed. By forcing a player to keep a certain unit selected you could also detect keyboard keys such as "F" by adding an ability with hotkey F. But those are special tricks. By detecting characters such as "F" you're using an "ugly" trick as you force a player to keep the same unit selected, and you're using visible abilities. Detecting other keys like "Enter" or "1" is simply impossible.

But far from "everything" is possible with complex and advanced triggering. So don't expect Wc3:WoW to use an interface that looks different from the warcraft 3 interface. The only thing they could do is use hero buttons for abilities, but everything is still going to be at the same place: the unit portrait, the 12 buttons, the quest log, etc.

Level 25
Thanks for the assistance with answering questions, Eleandor.

I haven't necessarily said that we will definitely never use RtC, however, the chances of RtC being completed any time soon is very slim and we need to keep moving. The interface won't be anywhere near the WoW interface, but we'll try to customize it as much as the WarCraft III engine allows us to. It'll take a long time to do and be a pretty tough effort, so we cannot work on it right now mainly because it will waste a lot of valuable time that we can get easier tasks done as well as more important tasks done as well.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.