• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Inconsistant flying height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone

I've been playing around with the beam system by spellbound but found that the lightning effect doesn't always touche the special effect. The reason is that the dummy unit's height changes when flying near trees. So the special effect is exactly as high as the dummy because it is attached to the dummy's origin, while the lightning's z is simply measured from the terrein height.

Is there a way to calculate the real flying height?

I'm actually trying to fix this myself. The problem is frustratingly inconsistent. Flying units and lightning effects interact with the terrain on their own way, and even with iNfraNe's GetUnitZ library, the lightning effect doesn't connect to the dummy units, especially where water is concerned. I'm a bit at a loss at how to get this to work tbh.

@chaosy
In this case Spellbound would have fixed it if he have found the problem and knew how to fix it. Its more fair to ask this here where a lot of wc3 geniuses (like you :p) can get aware of this problem and help to fix it. Thank you for the link, I've studied it and found it really interesting. It doesn't hold destructables into account but at least it gets us closer to the solution :grin:

Spellbound I guess the library just isn't complete yet. We just have to improve it till it work as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.