• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

In need of a doodad light (light node)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello everyone, I just got back into the swing of working on my map, currently mysteriously named as HDSM, if you would like to see some screen shots of it (really nice terrain and such) I will redirect you here for now, as I'd rather not have to pick between them, and such:

HDSM Terrain - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Anyways onwards to the request! I was fooling around with some models when I stumbled across one of GeneralFrank's (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3019/) and found a weird (or cool // helpful) event which triggered on one of his several attack animations (or so I am lead to believe as it only happens when he attacks in a certain 'style').

This attack lights up all the doodads on the map, or removes the fog of war from fading all doodads on the map out. I'm not good with words, so I've included screen shots of what I'm trying to explain.

Through further investigation, and help of some people on the hive (I think it was mostly donut3.5), I figured out (or was told) that what is causing this is what is referred to as a light node. A light node is something emitted by the torch that lights up close objects, and such.

And so I come here to ask someone who has the expertise with light nodes and how they work to make an identical light node (or see if GeneralFrank could release the light node on it's own). The purpose of this is highly useful in certain maps which have a high doodad count, such as ones with castle walls like my own, among other maps. I know I have actually been asked several times if I have ever found a solution as other map makers I know have been curious to fool around with something like this and such.

For me, I would like this because it will actually prevent the revealing of "squares" in my castle walls, as well as allowing my mountains (and the bulk of my terrain) to show through the fog, as it looks better (and is more aesthetically pleasing) this way.

I know I could use GeneralFrank's model and toy till I find which animation it is, however that would waste fairly precious space in my map (and other people who would like this type of style in there maps).

Sorry for a long rant, but I know for me (and many other map makers) something like this would be highly appreciated, and I sincerely hope that someone will try to complete this.

Thanks in advance for anyone that tries, or has advice or even a link to where one may find something like this already in case I have missed it on my searches.

Attachments

• DoodadLight1.jpg
    DoodadLight1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DoodadLight2.jpg
    DoodadLight2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 103
Level 7
That is what I am referring to, except I want one that is really big, and covers the whole map, which from what I learned is set in the node itself, and can't be resized in game, however I haven't fooled around with the UTM in awhile perhaps I'll go check that out now

Status
Not open for further replies.