• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #14: Theme Poll

Choose wisely :cgrin:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Poll is up now! This is not the official theme poll.

Here are the themes gathered from the discussion

- Key
Contestants create icons that represents a key. It must be creative. Example like Sun Key.

- Seven Deadly Sins
You are required to draw four of out seven deadly sins (gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, pride, sloth and envy) - and you can draw them either in the form of abilities, or items. Note that whichever option you go for, the icon must represent the selected sin well and clearly (i.e.: a simple drawing of a bed for the sloth sin will not score well, but a frenzy-alike mad ability to represent wrath - that's the right way)

- Human Senses
You are required to draw four of out five human senses, and represent them in a form of abilities. The senses are: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch. Not all four chosen senses have to be related with each other - you can draw the sight for an elven archer, and then do the hearing for an undead ghoul.

- Upgrades and Tech
A semi-wildcard theme, where you will be required to draw a minimum of four icons, but you can draw as much as you want. This theme features the classical upgrades; the three levels for offense and defense, the two levels for casters, and any other miscellaneous tech upgrades. Of course, you can do the two attack and four caster upgrades if you desire.

- Hunter's Call
This theme requires you to draw icons of abilities that are related to hunters and that expertise. Tracking a unit, finding the weak points, sprinting, scavenging slain creatures for loot and invisibility will all do - be creative!

- Blizzard Icons
Basically a character of the Blizzard franchises, like Kerrigan, Tyrael or Chen. Choose your character wisely.

- Popular Culture Characters: contestants are required to pick one famous character (from movies, cartoons, music, jet set...) or movie or anything that has to do with mass culture and make an icon or icon set based on it. It is optimally both restrictive and creative.

- Science-Fiction Alternative Icons
Make icons that is science fiction / science fantasy / futuristic alternatives to warcraft 3 icons.

- Modern Alternative Icons
Make icons that is modern alternatives to warcraft 3 icons.

- Horror Character Icons
Imagine a horror character as a warcraft 3 hero, make icons fitting that character. The character cannot be of your creation. (Frankenstein, Dracula, Cthulhu, Pinhead, Jason Voorhees, ect.)

- Movement
Create icons related to movement. You can imagine like the boots of quel'thalas icon as it's a shoe and other example is boots of speed icon.

- Time
Create icons related to time. It can be a clock or watch or a man looking at a clock.

- Elemental
Create icons related to the elements. You can do like Fire, Water, Earth, Wind.

- Phase/Hologram
Create icons that represents phases or holograms.

If someone that give idea about Diablo Icons, it is changed to Blizzard Icons because it's the same.

8 themes that get the most votes will advance to the official theme poll.

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Why are you in a hurry, AditTechno? Let people give ideas.
It's important for the icon creators to express their opinions about what themes inspire them more and such.
An icon contest can't take place without the icon makers.
Also, you're not the one who decides which themes will be accepted and which not.
We, all, and especially - the icon makers, will agree upon the themes that will make it to the poll.

A poll does not consist of all idea being collected in the discussion.
As Sin'dorei300 told you, it is not up to you to decide what themes are included in the poll.

Level 50
Poll is up now!

Here are the themes gathered from the discussion
Ironically, there was no discussion about contest theme at all. People were just throwing ideas and you can't really call it a ''discussion''. Purpose of discussion is usually to get some sort of consensus and the only reached consensus is that you should have waited longer before locking discussion/making poll.
Also all descriptions are just a copy-paste and some even hold a subjective view on themselves being best choice for contest theme. Only thing that goes in favor to you making this poll is that the discussion was pretty much inactive.

Level 36
Anyone can make a poll and discussion thread in here whenever they want, that doesn't
make it official in any regard however. Stop complaining about his decision to make a poll
and rather discuss the themes you want, potentially say something about why you don't
like the poll options.

Stop this elitist shunnery and be civilized about it.

Level 50
Anyone can make a poll and discussion thread in here whenever they want, that doesn't
make it official in any regard however. Stop complaining about his decision to make a poll
and rather discuss the themes you want, potentially say something about why you don't
like the poll options.

Stop this elitist shunnery and be civilized about it.

Of course, anyone can make contest poll whenever they want, and everyone therefore can discuss the host's mistakes. I don't see a reason for you to call it ,,elitist shunnery,, as everyone in this and previous thread are just trying
to point out what host needs to do, or what he needs to wait to happen, so we can actually have this contest happen.
I'm someone who would love to see this competition as soon as possible however it won't be held as long as host isn't doing things that moderators expect from him to do.

In other words, @AditTechno, as much as I would like to have mods approve this poll to something official, I'm not sure they will because of all the guidelines they gave you before that haven't been quite followed.

However, mods should note that there wasn't much activity in previous thread so that gave you a good reason to create this poll (even though there was no real discussion). One problem is that you chosen themes by yourself (not that I mind it, as you added most of things I liked, however the practice is usually to have consensus for such things). Also you should change descriptions to be more objective about themselves, as I said before. I can help you with that if you need.

Level 16
Shorter explanation on the themes:

Key: Contestants create icons representing a key(s).
Seven Deadly Sins: Contestants create icons representing deadly sins (gluttony / lust / wrath / greed / pride / sloth / envy).
Human Senses: Contestants create icons representing human senses: sight / hearing / taste / smell/ touch.
Upgrades and Tech: Contestants create icons representing levels for offense / defense / caster level upgrades.
Hunter's Call: Contestants create icons representing hunters / their expertise.
Blizzard Icons: Contestants create icons representing characters of the Blizzard franchises.
Popular Culture Characters: Contestants create icons representing characters from popular culture.
Science-Fiction Alternative Icons: Contestants create icons representing science fiction / science fantasy / futuristic alternatives to existing Warcraft 3 icons.
Modern Alternative Icons: Contestants create icons representing modern alternatives to existing Warcraft 3 icons.
Horror Character: Contestants create icons representing characters from horror genre.
Movement: Contestants create icons representing movement related belongings.
Time: Contestants create icons representing time related belongings.
Elemental: Contestants create icons representing fire / earth / wind / water elemental belongings.
Hologram: Contestants create icons representing belongings related to holograms.

Level 16
The poll will close tomorrow. And I won't create the official theme poll yet. There are 4 themes with 2 votes and it's still 10 themes. We will battle them for 3 days and 2 of them that get the most votes will move to the official theme poll.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

you're not putting the theme that people suggest on the discussion. some of them are missing. i think you're just pick the theme that you like and took it to the poll.

i feel discouraged to vote. this feels rather.. vague? i'm not sure..

Level 16
This thread needs more attention. Also, isn't icon contests usually called "Phoenix Trials"?

The name changed since Icon Contest #12.

Wisdom said:
you're not putting the theme that people suggest on the discussion. some of them are missing. i think you're just pick the theme that you like and took it to the poll.

i feel discouraged to vote. this feels rather.. vague? i'm not sure..

I'm limiting the themes. Some is not explained so it's not added.

Status
Not open for further replies.