• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I want to buy Wc3 Reforged Right now but I have some question about The Latest World Editor

Level 2
First I have to be honest. I never buy Wc3. I downloaded it from the internet or Copy it from internet cafe since I was just a elementary kid.

Now I stuck on 1.26 version of the World Editor and want to Upgrade it and Ultimately Pay for all my sin for pirating the game since young age.

BUT

I heard so many good things about the latest World Editor but Don't sure the things I heard is true or not so please correct me If It's wrong.

And I will be so grateful If you guy tell me about other good things in the Latest World Editor which can Open Much more way to customize the map.

Okay

here are What I heard:

1) It can edit the ability data field via trigger which mean I can change the field data in the actual wc3 gameplay. It allows me to make spell like:

-Slow poison Damage based on Hero's Agility
-Gain Armour based on Hero's INT.
-Critical Damage Multiplier based on Here's Level.
-Bonus Damage based on Hero Max HP

2) It has general unit Damage detection event in it so No need to Import Community's Damage Detection Anymore.

3) It can edit the Unit data field via trigger which mean I can change a unit HP or Base Damage based on My Hero Attribute or maybe my gold and lumber.

4) It can detect hero attack damage as Integer or Real (A sum of Hero Primary Attribute , Items , Buff) and allow me to create spell that deal damage based on the hero's attack Damage like these spell from Dota2
1711798262459.png
1711798319688.png

Yes to everything except for 4).
That one is a bit more complex, but if you track all bonuses through a system (I.E. requires you to use triggers to define items and buffs using a system such as New Bonus [vJASS][LUA]) it is possible but a bit cumbersome to not use normal bonuses from Auras or other ability-effects. I have done this more complex thing in my map, but I can understand that most people won't do it.
It's also possible to try to read the text-field from the GUI when that unit is selected, but that is somewhat unreliable (required you to have that unit selected and store its current bonus somewhere, but then some buff expires and it isn't updated unless that unit is selected) and it's somewhat hard to solve sync-issues in multiplayer.

Same thing with attack-speed, you cannot get total bonus unless you track all possible bonus instances and add bonus from agility (but you cannot read that from GUI, so even harder).

Regarding 1) that I think is important is that you can modify cooldowns and mana-cost too. So you can for example increase mana-cost per cast (with short cooldown) and then have a timer that reset the mana-cost.

Also: You don't need to buy Reforged to play latest version, you can just buy a CD-key from somewhere (and hope it legit) and register it to your blizzard account etc. With CD-key you can chose if you want 1.26, 1.31 (has many of the new natives, but not GUI-trigger for damage detection) or latest version. Or have all 3 installed.
With Reforged I think you are kind of forced to latest version always (at least it's harder to keep specific versions playable).

Level 4
Also: You don't need to buy Reforged to play latest version, you can just buy a CD-key from somewhere (and hope it legit) and register it to your blizzard account etc. With CD-key you can chose if you want 1.26, 1.31 (has many of the new natives, but not GUI-trigger for damage detection) or latest version.
May I ask on what version there is a General Damage Detection event? As my version is 1.31 and there's still no such event.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Just be warned of annoying issues that come along with updating to the latest patch. Using SD graphics on Jass mode seems to be "fine" but HD graphics and Lua are not really stable and will probably never get fixed - in fact a new patch will likely break more things than it fixes. Backup the map often, save it as a folder for easier management outside of the editor, and be prepared for imported assets to just disappear among other annoyances.

That being said, if you're very careful and determined then you can probably make things work. But it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience, at least based on my own personal experience.

Last edited:
May I ask on what version there is a General Damage Detection event? As my version is 1.31 and there's still no such event.
As I said, it's a jass-only (probably exist in Lua too). Check common.j and find:

JASS:
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED                  = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(308)
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGING                 = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(315)
So it's a playerunitevent that you can register a trigger for all players (this is the new 1.31+ functions), or use the classic specific-unit-version if it's only relevant for specific unit (this probably exist in 1.26 too):
JASS:
    constant unitevent EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED                               = ConvertUnitEvent(52)
    constant unitevent EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGING                              = ConvertUnitEvent(314)
You can of course register a GUI-trigger from a custom jass-block on init, but of course there are many details when it comes to this...

Edit: Interact with this event using standard event functions and:
JASS:
native BlzSetEventDamage                           takes real damage returns nothing
native BlzGetEventDamageTarget                     takes nothing returns unit
native BlzGetEventAttackType                       takes nothing returns attacktype
native BlzGetEventDamageType                       takes nothing returns damagetype
native BlzGetEventWeaponType                       takes nothing returns weapontype
native BlzSetEventAttackType                       takes attacktype attackType returns boolean
native BlzSetEventDamageType                       takes damagetype damageType returns boolean
native BlzSetEventWeaponType                       takes weapontype weaponType returns boolean

Last edited:
Level 2
Just be warned of annoying issues that come along with updating to the latest patch. Using SD graphics on Jass mode seems to be "fine" but HD graphics and Lua are not really stable and will probably never get fixed - in fact a new patch will likely break more things than it fixes. Backup the map often, save it as a folder for easier management outside of the editor, and be prepared for imported assets to just disappear among other annoyances.

That being said, if you're very careful and determined then you can probably make things work. But it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience, at least based on my own personal experience.
Is the new version faster? like loading map / create new units , ability / saving map

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Is the new version faster? like loading map / create new units , ability / saving map
Maybe even slower if you're just doing the standard stuff. But Lua is faster than Jass in terms of performance, plus it opens the door to other programming languages like TypeScript and C#. I personally use a library called WCSharp which speeds up the whole process of map making and keeps my trigger editor empty at all times, so my map isn't as bogged down plus I don't need the map open unless I'm terraining/modifying object data:
This is more advanced stuff, though.

You can also save the map as a folder which is nice. For example, it could speed up the process of importing and renaming multiple assets at once. But again, you have to understand how to take advantage of these new features in order to "speed up" the mapmaking process.

Last edited:
Level 6
If you don't want crashes and losing work, better stay away from Reforged editor. It is glitchy. That is my experience. It also doesn't seem to support all jass written stuff.

If you don't want crashes and losing work, better stay away from Reforged editor. It is glitchy. That is my experience. It also doesn't seem to support all jass written stuff.
Reforged supports Jass and vJass. Unless you meant cJass, but ain't that language somewhat unstable?

Level 6
Reforged supports Jass and vJass. Unless you meant cJass, but ain't that language somewhat unstable?
Not sure, I specifically tested the most famous threat system on the hive from Gaia RPG's creators and I think the reforged editor can't edit it, only read it. Cuz after that it was unplayable. While the Jass Newgen editor can edit it fine and then play it.

Edit: It does say it uses vJass.