• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I think I found the sample libary used for the war3 soundtrack

Level 7
I stumbled upon this today on youtube and I think it's the samples used by warcraft 3

for comparision

while it might not be 100% the same it's atleast VERY close and might be intresting for people who want to make music that seamlessly integrates with the war3 music, a bit hard to judge just from a low quality youtube video, but I think it's it. I currently download the libary from archive.org and gonna recreate war3 human 1 with it at same point.

edit

yeah I am very certain now that it's the samples used by war3

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Honestly. I am not convinced. Besides this seems to have been released way after Warcraft III, at least 3 years after.

That last one works more for The Lord of the Rings movies type if you ask me than Warcraft III. Actually, the strings remind me more of Heroes of Might & Magic III than anything, not Warcraft III.

EDIT: IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik
Not sure exactly when it came out but the author was one of the first to make such a library starting from 1993.

Level 7
Honestly. I am not convinced. Besides this seems to have been released way after Warcraft III, at least 3 years after.

That last one works more for The Lord of the Rings movies type if you ask me than Warcraft III. Actually, the strings remind me more of Heroes of Might & Magic III than anything, not Warcraft III.

EDIT: IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik
Not sure exactly when it came out but the author was one of the first to make such a library starting from 1993.
yeah I also tried to track down release dates. however. in special from the third video the strings sound pretty much 1:1 vanilla WoW nightelf music

atleast it is the closest I've heard so far.

I also know that gothic 2 and war3 used the same sample libary (you can hear it in special with the flutes)

so it must have been a "off the shelf" libary

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I also know that gothic 2 and war3 used the same sample libary (you can hear it in special with the flutes)
That's too thin to be considered. If it were more instruments, then yes. But it's more probable they've used more sample libraries maybe including that one.
Yeah, maybe WoW used it rather.

EDIT: wonder if you could actually shove a mail to Blizzard about it. See what happens.

Level 7
EDIT: wonder if you could actually shove a mail to Blizzard about it. See what happens.
I tried in the past like 2015-ish and no success.
But it's more probable they've used more sample libraries maybe including that one.
could be certainly true. sadly old libraries are poorly archived and pretty hard to research. however: I still think what I found is atleast the "cloesest" you can get to current knowledge that sounds somewhat in line with the war3 soundtrack. compare it for example with the edirol orchestral VST I personally use which is from the same era; it just sounds completly different while this one could be made to blend in in special with post compsition audio mixing

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
could be certainly true. sadly old libraries are poorly archived and pretty hard to research. however: I still think what I found is atleast the "cloesest" you can get to current knowledge that sounds somewhat in line with the war3 soundtrack. compare it for example with the edirol orchestral VST I personally use which is from the same era; it just sounds completly different while this one could be made to blend in in special with post compsition audio mixing
Thing is, similar samples doesn't simply make music made with them similar to those games'. Genre/style matters a lot.

The oboe/english horn on this one sounds like the one in WoW (Elwynn Forest).
Found the library here: The music of Warcraft 3