• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

I need help with some things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hi there.

1.I am wondering if someone can help me figure out how to put tooltip on the spellbook (the one that stores additional spells ) since there is no such line in the object editor.

2. I cant find the line to place inactive spell icon which require an upgrade. It's just the ugly green square that appears.

3. I also dont see the way to set a custom unit portrait becouse there is no such option in the object editor.

I will give screenies if needed.

Level 18
Lordkoon said:
2. I cant find the line to place inactive spell icon which require an upgrade. It's just the ugly green square that appears.

Look up a tutorial on how to import an icon.

Lordkoon said:
1.I am wondering if someone can help me figure out how to put tooltip on the spellbook (the one that stores additional spells ) since there is no such line in the object editor.

What do you mean by "tooltip on a spellbook". Spellbook works the same as the other abilities, so please explain further. (I guess screen-shots would be ideal)

Lordkoon said:
3. I also dont see the way to set a custom unit portrait becouse there is no such option in the object editor.

Look through the tutorials section of this website, most of the problems you are having are summarized in "How To" documents in this section.

How to import an icon.
How to import a custom model.

Should point you in the right direction.

Level 14
I know how to import a model or icon but when I import 2 icons >1 inactive(disabled) and 1 active. When I start the test instead of the inactive showing it's the green square. I have the paths for the icon but still not showing...

For the spellbook I mean that ingame shows as "Tooltip missing" and there is no line to create the tooltip for it.

The path for portrait is also the needed and still no portrait shows.

edit: I fixed the spellbook tooltip, it seems I forgot to uncheck "item abbility". Silly me ^^

Level 35
To create a custom portrait, simply change the name of the model you want to act as a portrait model to whatever the name is of the model you want to have the new portrait with '_portrait' at the end of the file name. Confusing? Allow me to try and make it simple:

OUTSIDE OF THE EDITOR
1. Figure out the model for the unit.
2. Figure out the model for the portrait.
3. Get the name of the unit model (word for word).
4. Change the name of the portrait file to the name of the unit model, adding '_potrait' at the end of the name.

INSIDE OF THE EDITOR
1. Import the renamed portrait model.
2. Import the unit model (if required).
3. Test the model (although it sould work, you can never be too sure).
4. Relax with a cold one.

...and that just about covers all of it ;)

As for the icon troubles, make sure you have exactly the same path as you have for the BTN version of the icon in front of the DISBTN version of the icon, adding 'Disabled' before the final '\' (after CommandButtons).

The paths for BTN icons are:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNxxxx.blp

The paths for DISBTN icons are:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\BTNxxxx.blp

This also applies to all other forms of icons (if it's disabled, simply add 'Disabled' in the same place as shown above).

As for the spellbooks, you did what I was going to suggest, and now it works, so that ones covered ;)

Level 14
Thanks for the help. It seems that the icon is just not working :grin: and the problem is not in the path ^^ Wazz when I do that with the portrait :
1. Some models with big filesize is doubled (e.g. a marine with 200kb model and another 200kb portrait Xx)
2. The portrait is not centered and changes every unit select. (sometimes shows legs, arms, etc. )

Level 18
Lordkoon said:
The portrait is not centered and changes every unit select. (sometimes shows legs, arms, etc. )

That's because its not a portrait model, its a unit model. You can't just add "_Portrait" and make the problems go away, this is how portraits of models are referenced by WarCraft. If you want the portrait to be properly displayed then it also has to be properly made.

Level 35
Not so much a poorly made portrait as opposed to not a portrait model at all. It would appear that you're using the original model and then using that unit model as the portrait model as well. BAD IDEA. That won't work in any case. Some models have a portrait animation and therefore don't need a portrait file. Most others do need a portrait file, but the unit model itself is most certainly not it.

What Lordkoom describes to me is the effect you get when a unit doesn't have a portrait model at all. That is to say, the model you're using for the portrait model is NOT designed for use as a portrait.

Level 18
I would not assume that every unit required a portrait, but at the same time I've seen so many models completely disregard the portrait as a valuable aspect of the resource and it typically turns out for the worse. Say for instance, the Footman model was altered a little bit and then re-imported into WarCraft III, would the portrait still function properly?

Level 18
Sorry, let me rephrase. Say I were to import a custom model that had no portrait model, how would I still get it to look proper in-game. Do all units require portrait models in order to gain the functionality of a good-looking in-game effect?

Level 35
Wazzz said:
OUTSIDE OF THE EDITOR
1. Figure out the model for the unit.
2. Figure out the model for the portrait.
3. Get the name of the unit model (word for word).
4. Change the name of the portrait file to the name of the unit model, adding '_potrait' at the end of the name.

INSIDE OF THE EDITOR
1. Import the renamed portrait model.
2. Import the unit model (if required).
3. Test the model (although it sould work, you can never be too sure).
4. Relax with a cold one.

I've already explained this. When I say the portrait model, I mean an actual portrait model, not the unit model (or any unit model for that matter).

And yes, if you want to have a good overall look in your map, make sure every model has a portrait. Otherwise it looks messy and horrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.