• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How would one do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello. My name is Thobewill, and I am a n00b.
My knowledge of triggers is basic. I know nothing of how one would make custom UI's, cinematics, or any of that. I have only just begun mapping seriously, with most of my previous ventures into the wc3 editor just for messing around. I have long awaited starcraft 2's legendary map editor and would like to learn to use it effectively.
I have many awesome ideas, one of which I will share with you here today, which I believe could be implemented in this editor, and the final version (with startools :))
So I ask. How would one make a 3rd person shooter with the following features:
Controls
-w=move foreward (actually, I know how to make this)
-a=strafe left (without moving in the direction of the camera)
-d=strafe right ("")
-s=strafe backwards ("")
-shift=sprint (hold shift while holding either w, a, s or d to sprint)
-z=zoom in
-left mouse click=attack (shoot wherever the mouse cursor is pointing, not at the nearest unit)
-right mouse=special ability
-mouse wheel=switch ability
-spacebar=jump
-e=use or pick up

features
-Singleplayer campaign done in a manner similar to Half life 2 (with npc's, enemies, and levels which are linked together)
-Multiplayer mode similar to team fortress 2 with three races to choose (zerg, terran, protoss) each with 5 selectable classes (builder, soldier, support, elite, scout)
---Builder-SCV, probe, drone
---Soldier-Marine, roach, zealot
---Support-High templar, infestor, ghost
---elite-Hydralisk, marauder, stalker
---scout-observer, reaper, zergling
(balancing issues resolved later)
-Ability to drive vehicles and use items
-in singleplayer-hero level-up system that allows for new powerups and abilities.
-high quality cinematics, like the zerg reveal trailer
-a death cinematic for singleplayer (screen goes greyscale and foggy, except for bright red blood, then camera pans around dead corpse and slowly fades to black)
-custom ingame UI including health bar, energy, and progress to next level.
-Breifing room like in Starcraft 1
-cursor shaped like an aiming crosshairs
-on ghost, custom sniper scope UI

(As a note: I have seen one third-person movemenrt tutorial that helped a bit, but did not address targeted attacking, strafing, and close camera positioning)

I believe all of this is possible. I would like all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Level 2
I can't find a triggger for position of cursor. If I could, this would be a snap.

Another thing I need is how to do an over-the-shoulder view. Any ideas? I have tried placing cameraview regions in the position I want it, with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.