• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to deal with the Popularity Ranking System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I imagine that this popularity ranking system will be a major hurdle for mapmakers to overcome in SC2. As I understand it, when a new map is created, it will be almost impossible to spot amongst the list of other unpopular maps 15 pages down. So, as I presume, the only way to make a map seen at all by the average starcraft player would be to get as many people as you can to literally search for your map and join it together.

Will Hive Workshop now serve a new purpose for custom map makers? Not only a place to make maps, but a place to advertise your created maps so that people will search for it and join it in order to popularize it? Or will advertising your map with the intentions of getting people to popularize it be considered too "spammy"?

Level 6
Hmm yes, as I have said, The Hive Workshop has always been supportive of people who make maps. "Project Development" seems like a fitting board for such people.

However, if someone finishes a map without ever previously making a topic for it, uploads it to SC2, and wants to raise its popularity, will they be allowed to make a thread for the sake of advertising it and say something along the lines of "Start joining games for it" without being scorned by people who think it could be interpreted as spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.