• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

How to Attach Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
People choose very strange ways to display images on this board, such as uploading to third-party image hosting websites like ImageShack, PhotoBucket and Imgur, or uploading from their drive to an album/media page/pastebin, and using the [img]-tag to attach them to the post.

Why the Third-Party Hosting option is a BAD.

Using third-party hosting comes with the risk that the images will be taken down in the future in order to e.g. clear server space or establish a premium (paid) hosting service. Ever seen something like this pop up in the forums when browsing old threads?

546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg

That used to be a nice terrain! Or the last piece of info you needed to complete a tutorial! Or a BANANA!

Why the Album/Pastebin/Media option is a BAD.

While this option is ultimately okay inasmuch as the images won't be taken down by anyone other than yourself or the site staff, you're still doing twice the work for half the pay.

Also, the [img]-tag will always display the image in its fullest possible size, constrained only by the page width limit. For terrains, this limit is usually reached. This makes the thread shitty to navigate if you want to read replies, and it takes longer to load/render on slower systems or phones.

"BUT!..", cry the people, "WHAT IF WE PUT IT IN SPOILER TAGS?!"

Hello, I was hidden until you chose to see me.

"AT LEAST THIS WAY WE WON'T HAVE TO SUFFER BANDWIDTH OR NAVIGATION ISSUES, RIGHT?"

Right. Except now we're doing THRICE the work for something we would have gained EITHER WAY by using the intended post attachment/upload feature.

Why the Upload File option is a GOOD.

This option will take care of everything you ever wanted in the previous steps, without any of the bad to go with it.
  • Attachments won't be lost or deleted unless you or the site staff take it down.
  • Images will show like thumbnails which are reduced-size versions that will save bandwidth and won't mess up the page structure.
  • A sized up version can be seen in the site viewer when the thumbnail is clicked, without leaving the tab.
  • Full size versions can be viewed if you open the image in a new tab.
  • Attachments can be attached at any line in your post. Or, if not attached manually, they will show at the bottom of your post.
  • You won't go to hell for being a bad.

Just click this button --
Screenshot from 2018-02-08 00-47-58.png
-- and locate the image you want to upload using the file upload window.

Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-12-56.png

When uploaded, the image is attached to your post.

Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-29-34.png

NOW STOP BEING A BAD AND START BEING A GOOD.

Attachments

• 546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg
    546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-12-56.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-12-56.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-29-34.png
    Screenshot from 2018-01-31 21-29-34.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot from 2018-02-08 00-47-58.png
    Screenshot from 2018-02-08 00-47-58.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 990
Last edited:
Level 34
Also, images uploaded to a third party site will eventually be deleted and lost. If you upload them here, they will be saved for as long as the site is alive (as far as I'm aware).

Thanks fladder, this has been a pet peeve of mine for ages. There really is no reason not to use the Attach feature.

Edit: I nominate this to be stickied. But first the stickie threads need to be cleaned up and some removed.

Attachments

• YeahTY.png
    YeahTY.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 882
Level 36
No, Stryder, that's strictly against what fladder is suggesting here.
And he already addressed it in the top-post, I totally agree with this
thread's message.

I nominate this to be stickied. But first the stickie threads need to be cleaned up and some removed.

I don't know if I consider it an important enough matter to sticky this thread, but maybe.
And while I'm fully aware of those few stickies that needs fixing, I wasn't aware that
"Some needs to be removed" >.> Would you mind enlightening me?
Edit: Well, I know the Terrain Contest and Top Ten Poll needs to be removed, but they're
temporary stickies, like I'm sure you knew. If there's any other threads you think should be
removed, then I'd like to hear about it.

Level 34
I'll get a message to you soon hopefully. I'll spend some time thinking on it as I couldn't say off hand just looking at the threads. Kinda busy this weekend so I didn't get to it.

handy sht00f but you should probably actually explain what you're doing/using rather than just telling them to do/use it - some people actually don't know about attachments.

keiji, viable deletion options:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/terrain-board-jury-241347/ idk if this is really needed? i mean i see the point but also people probably know about it if they care and if they don't care, well, yeah.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ini-contests-victorious-fladdermasken-222072/ this is from 2012 wat wat wat

Level 36
this is from 2012 wat wat wat

You're referring to the time of which the sticky was made,
which isn't true for the latest mini-contest victor being honoured.
TP5 was 06-06-2013, and we haven't had any more mini-contests
since then.

About the Terrain Jury info sticky, well. I guess it could go in place
for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.