• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How do I give credits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello!
Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum to post it ( I will delete if need to), but I am using some custom models that I imported, and this is my first time developing a map. I had few questions that I wanted to ask:
1) Do I need to give credits to whoever ripped the model, if it came from WoW or Blizzard?
2) What if the author is unknown? I found some models from other sites, like Xgm or others and several of the models have "author" as unknown, or it said came from Chinese forums.

Level 40
Credit Blizzard if you want but be aware they already explicitly own every bit of wc3 content you've ever made.
the EULA said:
If for any reason you are prevented or restricted from assigning any rights in the Custom Games to Blizzard, you grant to Blizzard an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, unconditional, royalty free, irrevocable license enabling Blizzard to fully exploit the Custom Games (or any component thereof) for any purpose and in any manner whatsoever.
  • Exclusive: rights given only to Blizzard, nobody else (not even yourself)
  • Perpetual: these rights will exist forever
  • Worldwide: these rights are good everywhere on Earth
  • Unconditional: nothing can ever infringe upon these rights
  • Royalty-free: Blizzard pays $0 for these rights
  • Irrevocable: these rights can never be removed, altered, or transferred for any reason
  • "fully exploit ... for any purpose and in any manner whatsoever": they can literally do anything.

Par for the course for software-as-a-license but still pretty funny to me when I see it all specified out like that.

Hello!
Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum to post it ( I will delete if need to), but I am using some custom models that I imported, and this is my first time developing a map. I had few questions that I wanted to ask:
1) Do I need to give credits to whoever ripped the model, if it came from WoW or Blizzard?
2) What if the author is unknown? I found some models from other sites, like Xgm or others and several of the models have "author" as unknown, or it said came from Chinese forums.
To answer your questions,

1) Yes you should credit the person that's ripped the models since ripping models requires time, effort and work to convert them.

2) If the author is unknown that's ok, you can only put so much effort into trying to find the author, as long as you credit everyone you know and make the effort to credit people that's alright. The Hive administration is pretty decent and lenient so long as you're trying to follow the spirit of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.