• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How can I make my map multi-language?

Multi language is much work.

Since V1.30 (casc) there is a new approach.
You create copies of the files that contain text/sounds/images for the player translate them and import them into your map in a folder meant for that language.
(V1.31.1 List, reforged might have more)
_Locales/dede.w3mod
_Locales/enus.w3mod
_Locales/eses.w3mod
_Locales/frfr.w3mod
_Locales/itit.w3mod
_Locales/kokr.w3mod
_Locales/plpl.w3mod
_Locales/ruru.w3mod
_Locales/zhcn.w3mod
_Locales/zhtw.w3mod

your map only needs to contain the ones you support.

In normal setup your map stores texts of object Editor and fixed gui strings inside a file called war3map.wts, which world editor can import and export under menu File ex/import strings.

The one in the root of your map is used when no localized one is found for the user.
war3map.wts
_Locales/dede.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/enus.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/eses.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/frfr.w3mod/war3map.wts

_Locales/frfr.w3mod/war3map.wts would be the one with france texts and is used when the game runs in frFR locale.

this also works for other files.

You can test a language by forcing Warcraft to start with a wanted locale and playing your map creating a shortcut of the warcraft 3 exe (not the launcher).

Example for my warcraft 3 shortcut.
Edit ShortCut.jpg
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -locale enUS -nowfpause -loadfile
In reforged you should add -launch before -loadfile
Now you drag drop your map into the shortcut, although the map you drag & drops has to follow the max path lenght warcraft 3 map. So for testing I suggest to copy it into desktop and run it from there.

Warning:
Multi language is much work.
Warcraft 3 V1.31.1 World Editor did some junk with the imported localized files when I pressed save map it overwrote the default none locale files with the ones from the current imported local, hopefully it is fixed in the version you edit.

Or it might be smarter to add this locales using a mpq editor and only in the version you want to release.

good luck

Last edited:
Level 24
@Tasyen there are some things I don't get:
The one in the root of your map is used when no localized one is found for the user.
war3map.wts
_Locales/dede.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/enus.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/eses.w3mod/war3map.wts
_Locales/frfr.w3mod/war3map.wts

_Locales/frfr.w3mod/war3map.wts would be the one with france texts and is used when the game runs in frFR locale.
How can I add these to my map (If I can)?

You can test a language by forcing Warcraft to start with a wanted locale and playing your map creating a shortcut of the warcraft 3 exe (not the launcher).

Example for my warcraft 3 shortcut.
Edit ShortCut.jpg
"F:\Spiele\Warcraft III\V1.31\x86_64\Warcraft III.exe" -locale enUS -nowfpause -loadfile
In reforged you should add -launch before -loadfile
Now you drag drop your map into the shortcut, although the map you drag & drops has to follow the max path lenght warcraft 3 map. So for testing I suggest to copy it into dektop and run it from there.
I can't do this with Reforged, because it opens the launcher, so I used the game configuration instead, it worked as well, but when the map ends loading it closes and goes to the main menu:
1687668195022.png

Level 29
How can I add these to my map (If I can)?
If you want to edit something for the melee map in Reforged, you are going to need Ladik's CascView. For custom maps (since it was still in MPQ format), use MPQEditor. Just make sure you actually use the "Add files" option.

I can't do this with Reforged, because it opens the launcher, so I used the game configuration instead, it worked as well, but when the map ends loading it closes and goes to the main menu:
1687668195022.png
Don't use Battle.net app. The game executable must be created manually to your desktop so that the "-launch" parameter, which starts the game directly without actually opening the Battle.net app.
Also, "-loadfile" parameter doesn't seem to work since Reforged.

Last edited:
Level 24
Definitely yes. Just create two new folders within a path (_Locales/xx.w3mod), where xx is your game's language code, then place the imported WTS here.
Now I had time to do it, and I couldn't, in the assets window of the world editor doesn't let me add those files because "Already exists".
And in the MPQEditor I can't save any changes I do, what can I do?

you could open the map in mpq editor and delete the existing "_Locales/xx.w3mod/war3map.wts" files then you should be able to import/rename them.

Instead of a mpq editor you could try map folder mode. But make a map backup. Then save the map in folder mode and do the file change in your file explorer. After you did your changes open the map folder in world editor and save as map file again.

Level 24
you could open the map in mpq editor and delete the existing "_Locales/xx.w3mod/war3map.wts" files then you should be able to import/rename them.
In fact it doesn't appear as "_Locales/xx.w3mod/war3map.wts", it just appears as "war3map.wts", maybe because the map is actually w3x even I'm using Reforged.
Instead of a mpq editor you could try map folder mode. But make a map backup. Then save the map in folder mode and do the file change in your file explorer. After you did your changes open the map folder in world editor and save as map file again.
You mean this?
1689626268171.png

Edit: It seems that it worked, now I have to do the translations, thank you.

Last edited: