• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hive Host bot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Just saw the HiveHost bot for the first time today. It was hosting Werewolf Trans but when I tried to join it wouldn't let me in. I figured it was because it wasn't allowing map dls so I went and downloaded the latest version of the map and rejoined.

This time it let me in but kicked me shortly thereafter for high ping. When I rejoined for the third time there were 3 people, all 3 got kicked for high ping and then I soon followed again.

The bot may be messed up if it's kicking EVERYONE for high ping. Furthermore, why not allow map downloads? That defeats the purpose of getting maps out there.

Level 34
I don't recall a Hive bot, could be a bot from the fake Hive B.net clan.

And bots are for quick join&play, not for long downloads. Create your own host download bot if you want it so bad.

Level 18
I'm not saying I want the bot or even want my map on it. I have my own bot so I'm not worried.

What I'm saying here is that if this is indeed the Hive's host bot something is wrong with kicking everyone for high ping. And it was my opinion it should allow downloads.

Anyway, if it's a bot from a rip-off clan then disregard this

Miz

Miz

Level 3
The Hive Host-bot that was hosting Werewolf Transylvania was not from this site.
Its a part of a map productions, VoF (Victims of Fate). Which Werewolf Transylvania is apart of.
It hosts on US East, US West and Europe if I am correct.

Its called HiveHost because the clan it assembles on is called "Hive" with no connection to you guys. (It has something to do with a Resident Evil map or something) I can see how that can cause some confusion.

Level 1
I would like to inform you that the reason it allows no DL's is because the bot's owner is trying to cut back on his upload data (it was taking 80gb a month to run the bot and allow DL's) in order to stay within the amount of data provided by his ISP.

I also had a Werewolf Bot but it was causing computer problems so it is shut off indefinatly.

The best way to get the latest official version of the map remains to visit
this thread and download it there.

The werewolf bot is intended to host games moreso than to provide the map.

**Edit: You can also download Werewolf 1.19 here on the hive.**

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Ya "Clan Hive" on UsEast was formed for a LoaP Res-Evil, so it was called "Hive" after a research centre in the res-evil world (possibly just in the movies). The confusion happens a lot so I hope you now see the diffrence.

Level 1
Hive's Werewolf Trans is for a USEast clan "Hive" made for a LOAP map that didnt get released. it also wont work on 1.24b+ so noone will get to see it anyways.

anyways, my bot hosts on East, West, Europe, Eurobattle(when they get round to updating to 1.24c).
if you want to talk to me go to the other forum linked above and PM Insomnia or make a thread, 95% change ill see the tread so yea

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But because it is not really something allowed it is not an official part of thw.

Stangly, over 80% of games hosted are now by bots, thus if blizzard had a problem with this they would have said something by now or clamped down on it. I have seen whole map lists filled with nothing but bot hosted games on azeroth at some times.

An offical host bot would be nice, however managing it would be a problem (who can change what it hosts?).

Level 5
Dr Super Good said:
Stangly, over 80% of games hosted are now by bots, thus if blizzard had a problem with this they would have said something by now or clamped down on it. I have seen whole map lists filled with nothing but bot hosted games on azeroth at some times.
Blizzard also doesn't deal with the rampant hacking of D2 that goes on. Blizzard has a problem with hacking and the bots, they just don't care enough to deal with it and have no obligations to continue supporting dated games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The bots are not cheating and techinaclly are not mods. The host bots behave like any normal host when it comes to the players playing so there should not be a need to remove them. Map hacks and spoofs on the other hand do modify your game and give an unfair advantage (especially map hacks), so they clamped them.

The reason D2 bots are so rapent I think is cause they planned a ladder reset and a pure along with it (now patch, better security) however it never arrived.

Level 5
Dr Super Good said:
The bots are not cheating and techinaclly are not mods. The host bots behave like any normal host when it comes to the players playing so there should not be a need to remove them. Map hacks and spoofs on the other hand do modify your game and give an unfair advantage (especially map hacks), so they clamped them.
Incorrect. The bots are a breach of the EULA in that they modify, handle, and/or redirect battle.net data. Go read the "license.txt" in your WC3 installation directory and see for yourself.

Level 18
DSG, Duragon is right. Blizzard uses Warden to try and curb bot use. However, bot makers are one step ahead of them and have set up BNLS servers to handle Warden. The catch is you have to have a pair of valid CD-keys to run them on TFT that are NOT your own.

Otherwise you have to run through a LAN connecting into b.net with your bot... and well that just gets complicated.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The fact is I find it hard to believe that blizzard will do anything to stop WC3 bots, afterall they do no harm and they will have over 100000 players complain in they are removed.

In D2 however the bots give an unfair advantage and thus why they get banned from time to time. Hopefully the D2 patch we were prommised would update their security systems to those like WC3 which can actually catch cheats.

If however these host bots suddenly are used to do stuff like meele micro management, map hacking or transmiting viruses, I am sure blizzard will remove them.

Level 2
So... Clan Hive IS Hive...? Wow I thought it was just another clan...

PS: I'm finally active again!

We are not a clan owned by this site, our chieftain Gloomfrost formed the clan for his LoaP Res-Evil map, but it has expanded into werewolf. And untill he finishs a new better copy of his Res-Evil we are just werewolf. So again Clan Hive = Not owned by Hive Workshop.

Level 5
Why let them use the name so freely if it is not officially supported? That seems very silly and counterintuitive.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Your server is Northrend though, right? This one is on Azeroth and I think it's run only by the guy who created Werewolf Transylvania. Anyway I just wanted to see if it was part of The Hive... which it is not. It's too bad he's using our site's name for something not affiliated with us.
Just for future records, «Hive» is not uncommon. You will probably find other places named like this as well.

Why let them use the name so freely if it is not officially supported? That seems very silly and counterintuitive.
Why not? What seems to be wrong about a clan ran by website members?

Level 5
Rui said:
Why not? What seems to be wrong about a clan ran by website members?
Ralle seems very serious about the clan being unsupported by the website and very much unofficial, so a clan run by website members shouldn't use the site's name. People will assume that the clan is official so long as it does. This thread is just one example of that.

Level 12

An offical host bot would be nice, however managing it would be a problem (who can change what it hosts?).

Is there a chance you get banned for hosting a bot?

Level 5
Azeroc said:
Ralle just doesn't want to get complaints from Clan THW on Northrend in case if someone got something against that Clan, that's why he doesn't support it.
I am well aware of why he doesn't want to support it, but by not supporting it, it shouldn't bear the website's name. I don't expect anything to change, but it should by all moral rights.

Level 12
Your point? People make clans that follow a map, infact theres probably thousands for Dota, but only a few are really supported by Icefrog. I used to run a clan for another website I'm on, and got told the same thing. Its not worth Ralle's time trying to sort out a clan breakdown. (Or a clan war, those are fun)

Level 5
Coolty44 said:
Its not worth Ralle's time trying to sort out a clan breakdown. (Or a clan war, those are fun)
Nor would he have to handle either, even if my suggestion were taken seriously.
Coolty44 said:
Your point? People make clans that follow a map, infact theres probably thousands for Dota, but only a few are really supported by Icefrog.
Yes, but the official one is well-known, so there's no confusion. In the case of THW, that is not true.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Ralle seems very serious about the clan being unsupported by the website and very much unofficial, so a clan run by website members shouldn't use the site's name. People will assume that the clan is official so long as it does. This thread is just one example of that.
Even if the clan wasn't named «The Hive Workshop», being run by website members would take one to believe it is official. It's a matter of clarifying, here or with a clan member, Ralle's position towards the clan. And his stand has been divulged on this thread, which is all that matters.
I think you're making a too large deal out of it.

Level 22
Lol, Evil Kicker bot xD

Bots are not a nice thing, I never liked them as they spam a chat channel in bnet 'join clan bla bla'. Suddenly bots had a new use since this year or 2008 - Dota and even other maps are hosted on bots. It's nice to join and the bot starts automatically kicking high ping players, leavers. It's even cute to see melee hosted by bots, cause they won't kick you for not liking your name.. unlike noob hosts.

However - if someone DLs 1% per minute, w8 for him all and the bot is not set to kick - you cant start if he doesnt leave...

Level 5
DoOs_101 said:
Unless you stamp a copyright on THW and Hiveworkshop, then your "morale" argument will not apply. Yeap, it's called law and its tangible...
Scroll to the bottom of any THW page and read. Furthermore, making something tangible and traceable, such as a website, entitles you automatic copyrights.
Rui said:
I think you're making a too large deal out of it.
Bringing up something for discussion does not mean one is making a big deal of it. It simply means that someone cares enough to type a post about it, which by all rights only demands a small deal be made of it. A big deal would be up and creating some new topic with a poll about the evils and vileness of this THW clan and... [blah blah]. You get the picture.

I am only willing to discuss it as much as people are willing to respond to what I say.
Rui said:
Even if the clan wasn't named «The Hive Workshop», being run by website members would take one to believe it is official. It's a matter of clarifying, here or with a clan member, Ralle's position towards the clan. And his stand has been divulged on this thread, which is all that matters.
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but the above quoted text says.. Nothing new at all. Yes, of course Ralle made his point clear, we can both read, but out of respect for his wishes for it to remain unofficial, it being called "THW" and subsequently run by THW staff members is unfortunate.

Level 12
Scroll to the bottom of any THW page and read. Furthermore, making something tangible and traceable, such as a website, entitles you automatic copyrights.

Bringing up something for discussion does not mean one is making a big deal of it. It simply means that someone cares enough to type a post about it, which by all rights only demands a small deal be made of it. A big deal would be up and creating some new topic with a poll about the evils and vileness of this THW clan and... [blah blah]. You get the picture.

I am only willing to discuss it as much as people are willing to respond to what I say.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but the above quoted text says.. Nothing new at all. Yes, of course Ralle made his point clear, we can both read, but out of respect for his wishes for it to remain unofficial, it being called "THW" and subsequently run by THW staff members is unfortunate.

You'll have to ask him if he has legal documents and registered THW on a copyright beurau in his country or international. The Clan THW however did not cause copyright infringements, since they are only a clan and not of publishing a website that stole Hiveworkshop's work. However, if THW or Hiveworkshop is branded, lets say like Nike, then yeah, you'll get in trouble for making a website called Nike (assuming it doesn't exist), you can get sued by them. However, unlikely, and I can't even imagine a possible case, of a clan named NIKE, being sued for such infringement...

You're what a I called, an R-WORD.com ...

Level 5
I'm sorry, I don't actually care about legalities, and I'm not actually sure why you do; it doesn't matter here, no one is going to sue anyone, come off of it. I'm talking ethics here, and Ralle saying he doesn't want to officially support the clan means that it would only be ethical to not use THW's name for such a clan.
DoOs_101 said:
You're what a I called, an R-WORD.com ...
A poorly concealed insult is an insult nonetheless. Please be civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.