• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Solved] Hide terrain in minimap

Level 3
Hello!

I've a custom map where there is sometimes changes in camera bounds. Unfortunatly, the minimap does not follow the changes in camera bounds (always show the entire terrain, even if the bounds/units are correctly shown). Then, I would like to hide the terrain for players (like the Ctr+T command).
I've tested many things in GUI and looked for solutions on the forum (found the "masked areas are partially visible"), but i cannot found one that works.
I also tried the "UI command" action but it does not seems to work with Ctr+x commands.
I also tried to load a custom minimap black, via the importer or call BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex("war3mapMap.blp"), but it does not seem to work.

Do you have any advices?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I think reforged added a native to let you change the minimap image? Or at least resize the existing one to match the new bounds.
Code:
native BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex                  takes string texFile returns boolean

If using a legacy build, or a build that currently lacks that feature, then you cannot really do what you want. You can remove the minimap entirely by setting the minimap blp file in the map MPQ archive to a dummy pure black file. I think some people had luck using custom neutral structure icons on the minimap to overlay the default terrain with a new image, but I recall this might have limitations with what content the minimap can then show due to draw order.

StarCraft II implemented minimap resizing when map bounds were resized so this was never an issue there. I am not sure why or even if Reforged ported such functionality to Warcraft III nearly a decade later.

Level 3
Thank for your answer!

I think reforged added a native to let you change the minimap image? Or at least resize the existing one to match the new bounds.

I'm using the last editor (official?).

The native you talk about is BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex ?

because i tried this :
LjNyNXK5cW.png
9pMLl51sG9.png

But it does not do anything

Do you know where i could find the native to resize the minimap you were talking about?

EDIT : ok modifying the file in the MPQ archive works, but it's overrided everytime i save the map...

EDIT 2 : ok it finally works!
Actually it needed to be any name BUT "war3mapMap.blp" in the import manager, in order to work... I use :

call BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex("newMinimap.blp")

Still interrested by finding a native that allow resizing the minimap though

Last edited:
Level 3
Yes this the one i use to change the bounds of the camera, and not the minimap as the description says. I'm looking for a way to adjust the minimap at this new bounds.
When using this, only the camera change and not the minimap (that's why i made this thread actually). Currently i found a way to completly hide the minimap so it's less ugly but it's not optimal...
Here is the function, (please read carefully the description):
View attachment 470226

Last edited:
Level 24
Yes this the one i use to change the bounds of the camera, and not the minimap as the description says. I'm looking for a way to adjust the minimap at this new bounds.
When using this, only the camera change and not the minimap (that's why i made this thread actually). Currently i found a way to completly hide the minimap so it's less ugly but it's not optimal...
If you want to re-size the minimap image, you can't, is a fixed image, but you can try something more laborious, you can re-size the bounds in the editor and then export the minimaps for each bounds and import them to your map, then change them in game.

Level 3
It will work in my specific case because all players are in similar terrain at any time, but it could not work where player have different camera bounds. I will prepare multiple minimap textures then !

Thanks !

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Still interrested by finding a native that allow resizing the minimap though
I could not find one to do that, only the native that lets you change the image.

That said, maybe it is possible to change the wrapping or size of the minimap UI element to achieve the desired effect? Another possible avenue to investigate if open to experimentation.