• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help UVW mapping is off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
hey I got my model and my texture to now show in war3 model editor, unfortunately the uvw map didn't translate.... I'm following mago's tutorial.

mushhelp.jpg

I saw a picture of a UVW program this guy used "texture Coordinate editor" not sure if its part of Model editor or not. (picture in link below)
*Edit* found it but it only works with MDL ... grrr im mdx

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/texturing-surfacing-274/need-little-skinning-help-133741/

Id love to get the Magic Mushroom model up, plus I'm a great Max Modeler, I started with a simple model to learn the basics... I'd love to make more stuff but first I need to get over this foothill .. :) Im a good animator too just not good at translating this warcraft 3 stuff.

Last edited:
Level 11
What are you using to export the model? To properly export from Max versions 6 and later you must use this.

yes I even tried Neo but when I used that the model doesnt even show at all... Dex worked but just screwed up the texture. Tricky getting Neo to work on max 2010 because the plugins folder is now different... but it works however just doesn't display the model.

Ok Picture looks like this when I export to OBJ otherwise im using mdl format on Neo, but when I turn it to mdx the program crashes after i close it but before it says success, and model viewer doesnt open it

mushhelp2.jpg

Heres how I modeled it:

I started with some poly modeling since I love it better... I used symetry to mirror the other side, after I was completed I merged the symetry so it was one mesh layer. I then turned the mesh into an Editable mesh since war3 hates poly modeling. (Given that the model looked alright in this phase when exporting with dex, it was just using an ugly castle texture.) Also I realized I had to turn off "Flip YZ axis-(Poserlike)" on the export menu because it put the model side ways... I made the model smoothing group 1 as well

So with the above working correctly I decided to texture it... Here I started with the "UVW unwrap" modifier... which looks a lot different then gmax and slightly different then earlier versions of 3dmax... I used "Mapping/Unfold Mapping" On each part of the mesh and scaled it down/moved/or rotated so it looked suitable.
mushhelp3.jpg

I also target welded some pieces together that needed it and I made sure this time around I didn't overlap the pieces (But still got the same texture screw up even after)
After I completed this process I tried multiple things.

Export OBJ using dex to print to listener then export... Using OBJ/3ds to MDX converter... (Shows messy texture)
Export MDL with Neo and using the tool blink recommended to turn it into MDX... (SHows blank, no model no texture.)

I was going to use vertex modify program but that program is less user friendly then that of max... It would take too long just to do one model i'd rather figure this out.

If I use Neo and Print to listener then export as OBJ and use MDX program it does the same as dex making the model viewable but the texture off... like it isnt taking the UVW map in account... If I use neodex to export mdl like said the model is missing... (looks like this)

mushhelp4.jpg

Hope that gives a clearer picture... and thx for the help I've been refreshing despretely waiting but I went to bed for a bit... One of those ppl who can't stop till they fix something :)

I used the reference picture here: (I could of made it as pretty but I was keeping it low poly) Not many people made the powerup mushrooms or even yoshie I was going to try but I ran into problems :)

Mushroom2.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.