• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Have a few in-depth trigger questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
1. Should I destroy triggers that aren't going to be used again? Does this clear up ram, or anything? If I destroy a trigger that is currently being executed, will the rest of the functions inside the trigger not execute after being destroyed? How do I destroy a trigger?

2. Deathismyfriend told me to create a Player Group variable and use it in place of any instance that uses '(All Players)'. The only reason I can think for doing this is because any time '(All Players)' is used, it creates a new player group per use, but creating and using a variable stops this from happening.

3. How do I use 'Pan Camera' and Unit Groups without them leaking?

Level 15
1- Don't know , AFAIK , it ain't leaking . Because as long as Warcraft doesn't use it , this never hurts .
2- All players never leak AFAIK , np
3- Like this
  • Set TempGroup = (Your Group)
  • Camera - Pan Camera to (Random Unit from TempGroup) in 0.00 seconds .
  • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup)

Level 8
Well why did Ralle blacklist 'Pan Camera' in his Things That Leak thread location here? As well as Unit Group.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/things-leak-35124/

Also, does destroying a trigger clear ram? If I destroy a trigger that is currently being executed, will the rest of the functions inside the trigger not run after the trigger is destroyed?

Well I heard that (All Players) isn't what leaks. It creates a player group per use, and that is what leaks. Am I right or wrong?

Level 29
1) Yes destroying a trigger clears ram. The rest of the trigger does not get executed if trigger is destroyed. Destroy trigger should only be placed at the end of the trigger.

2) That is not true. jonhysone.
The reason that you put all Players into a player group is for speed and efficiency. All players never leaks. All players does not create a new player group. It calls a function that returns all players that is why it is slow and inefficient.

3) Ralle blacklisted pan camera as necessary. Not the other pan camera actions.
Also if you are looking for a camera lock system i have one in my sig that may come in handy.

Level 5
IIRC, a trigger is executed just fine after destroying it. It actually gives problems too, as the trigger handle and its associated environment might be freed after a wait action as the game thinks that the trigger "finished" execution, when in fact its just waiting. Continuing the execution might then cause some trouble.
Don't really see why he banned SmartCameraPanBJ though. i see nothing wrong with it.

As death said, Ralle just blacklisted "Pan Camera as Necessary". The other pan functions are fine. Pan Camera as Necessary, aka SmartCameraPanBJ, has two problems:
  • Leaks--it generates a location here:
    JASS:
    function SmartCameraPanBJ takes player whichPlayer, location loc, real duration returns nothing
        local real dist
        if (GetLocalPlayer() == whichPlayer) then
            // Use only local code (no net traffic) within this block to avoid desyncs.

// ** here **
            set dist = DistanceBetweenPoints(loc, GetCameraTargetPositionLoc())
            // ** GetCameraTargetPositionLoc() generates a location handle **

if (dist >= bj_SMARTPAN_TRESHOLD_SNAP) then
                // If the user is too far away, snap the camera.
                call PanCameraToTimed(GetLocationX(loc), GetLocationY(loc), 0)
            elseif (dist >= bj_SMARTPAN_TRESHOLD_PAN) then
                // If the user is moderately close, pan the camera.
                call PanCameraToTimed(GetLocationX(loc), GetLocationY(loc), duration)
            else
                // User is close enough, so don't touch the camera.
            endif
        endif
    endfunction
  • Causes desyncs (as a consequence of the locally-generated location).

Status
Not open for further replies.