• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Giving a building a hero ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi all,

Had a quick look through the search function but couldn't find what i was looking for so decided to make a new thread to try get some help from the experts.

So, i am making a map where the units can't move except when you use a movement ability (which is on cooldown). I felt that the easiest way to do this was to make a unit that can not move (using a building as the base unit then changing the model) and giving it a modified version of the Wardens Blink ability.

However for some strange reason i can not assign the Blink ability to the building unit. Anyone got any ideas on how i can get around this problem (or alternative ways of making the movement system work?)

Thanks!

Level 18
I believe that there's also an non-Hero Blinkspell, but you can disable Blink to be a Hero ability. There's an option that you can change for this in the Object Editor, something like "Value - Hero ability => [x]" and you have to untick it. Normal abilities can be added to buildings.

But.. I'm thinking about triggering it? Just use a Dummy Spell that just have to be pressed to start it. And then trigger it? Like moving the building via triggers to the point to want it to be. Something like that? If that's not possible, then simply remove and re-create it on that position.

Level 33
OR in a step-by-step procedure...

1) Pick ANY hero that you like (Strength or Agility or Intelligent)
2) Go to Art - Model File
3) Preset: Units and find your building model (Towers, Arcane Shop, Ancient of Wonders, etc)
4) Scroll down to Combat - Attacks Enabled change it to None (to actually make that hero into a "building")
5) Go to Movement - Speed Base and set it to 0 (hey, buildings CAN'T move right?)
6) Go to Movement - Type and change it to None
7) Sound - Unit Sound Set change it to any building sound

Trigger

• Blink Building
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Blink (Building)
    • Actions
      • Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set Point[1] = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set Point[2] = (Position of Caster)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Point[2] using Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Blink\BlinkCaster.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Unit - Move Caster instantly to Point[1]
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Point[1] using Abilities\Spells\NightElf\Blink\BlinkTarget.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point[2])
The Blink (Building) is a modified Blink ability
You MUST use trigger to prevent the text "Caster movement has been disabled" problem
I've set the cooldown to 10 seconds to let you test it several of times, you can change it to a VERY LONG COOLDOWN, 300 seconds etc

I've attached a test map to make you easy to understand it, enjoy ^^

Attachments

• Building Move.w3x
    16.9 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.