• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

/fps Command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
When we type in the /fps command in Warcraft 3 Game, it'll display that value
I know it's the Frame Per Second thingy, what I wanna know is HOW to increase its value ?
Other than, upgrading my RAM, improving my Graphic Card (money-needed-related answer, not needed)
I've seen one tutorial saying there is a command at Run, it can increase our fps for up to 10 ~ 15, that's awesome !
But, how ?

Level 33
The website is downed for now, once it's up, I'll tell ya
Okay, I just remembered what to do with that Run Command
1. Type "REGEDIT" in Run Command
2. Open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
3. Find Blizzard Entertainment -> Warcraft III -> Video
4. Double click "lockfb" file
5. Change the "value data" to 0 and press OK

I don't know, this helps my /fps increased by a bit, well, I want increase more :(

Level 22
Uh, ain't that the video configuration settings, you know, the one you click inside the game and is found on the Video settings menu?

Look there's a texture quality option there, 0 means low, 1 med, 2 high. How about you change the value of shadows to 0, that will add more fps man.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. :D

Level 22
Yeah, but some of the options there aren't available in the Video Options, like the mipmaps the lockfb, you can also change the resolution from there, the screen refresh rate when playing movies, etc.

Level 11
There isn't a miracle "run" command. Use lower graphic quality and resolution.
You could also go to Tasks Control, find WC3 and set the priority to "High"

And remember that WC3 FPS is capped to 60 or something.

Level 20
The cap is 64. Its propably 64 because of some kind of binary limit that they have on their maxfps registry.

Some people say that you can pass the cap with MAC because of a some sort of bug but I am not sure about that.

And yes I have heard before about this lockfb but I never got that what it actually does.

Level 22
And remember that WC3 FPS is capped to 60/64 or something.
Tis adjustable, by default, the value is 200. It's accessible through the registry entry; look at defskull's post (#7)

Level 12
You want to increase fps limit or you pc sucks so you want to increase your fps?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Lockfb controls the frame buffering (Frame Buffer). Disabling it will remove verticle sync and thus enable tearing but also remove the extra buffers required to do so. If your memory interfaces or free memory in the graphic card are the limiting factor, then it will greatly improve performance.

Doing it on a really modern graphic card like my Nvidia 275 GTX or my brothers 460GTX will do nothing noticable as they are so crazilly powerful and are design for enormous memory.

Reducing the graphic quality of the drivers will also improve performance if the graphic card is the limiting factor. Be warned that AGP8x graphic cards like a 7800GS are really prone to bad perfromance if you suppliment them with a lot of buffer memory so reducing buffer memory will improve perfromance.

Making your map triggering more efficient so it uses less CPU cycles will let the game spend more time rendering frames instead of having to skip them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Reducing the game resolution helps increase ur fps.
Only if memory / pixel shaders are caping you. In the case of WC3 on any decent graphic card (modern one), resolution should not make any difference.

This is different for modern games where a lot of effects have an area related computational time ontop of the actual normal rendering.

Level 4
DO NOT :

- Set VSync On
- Set Enable Software Vertex Processing
- Set any Overlaying Software

AND DO :

- Set Your resoultion same as desktop, even refresh rate and color depth
- Update VGA drivers to recent

That's all I can do.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
- Set Your resoultion same as desktop, even refresh rate and color depth
This does what exactly? I agree it stresses your display less as it does not have to switch input range but that has nothing to do with peformance. If anything, lower than your desktop resolution would help performance but only in modern games where resolution has a lot more cost.

- Set VSync On
VSync does not directly degrade performance unless memory is a limiting factor. I agree it indirectly degrades performance as it may cause your GPU to sit idle more wiating for buffers to swap or the output to stop updating. Almost all modern graphic cards should have no problem with this as the timing is so small it will atmost result in an odd skipped frame. As game graphics and game play are separated, the idle time will still continue moving the game foward so the lost frames are purly a visual problem. Turning on things like full scene anti aliasing are far more demanding than vsync in both memory and shader capacity so ou are better off turning those off first.

- Set Enable Software Vertex Processing
Um what? Does that even exist anymore? As far as I know, there is limited software rendering support and almost every game I know from the last 7 years has not allowed you to use software rendering. The games that did are so old that any 2GHz processor would easilly max them.

- Set any Overlaying Software
I agree. It is well known that overlays degrade performance. The reason is simlar to why Vsync lowers performance but much worse as it involves more buffer swaps and during that time, the main expensive frame rendering process can not be carried out so you are wasting a lot of time.

Level 9
yes..and also add extra fps(cause when recording the fps get lower) so when ur not recording u have extra fps

Level 27
The website is downed for now, once it's up, I'll tell ya
Okay, I just remembered what to do with that Run Command
1. Type "REGEDIT" in Run Command
2. Open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
3. Find Blizzard Entertainment -> Warcraft III -> Video
4. Double click "lockfb" file
5. Change the "value data" to 0 and press OK

I don't know, this helps my /fps increased by a bit, well, I want increase more :(

spend 40-50 euros on a new graphics card, should run any game on high up until like 2009.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
spend 40-50 euros on a new graphics card, should run any game on high up until like 2009.
Incorrect. Your graphic card may support running games on high but you will still need the accompanying processor and memory to support that. Graphics are heavilly demanding on both GPU and CPU although the GPU does do a lot of the grunt work. If you pair up a top range DX11 graphic card with a Pentium 4 processor, you will not even be able to run games from 2006 well.

With my gefroce 275GTX the major limiting factor for SC2 is my Intel core I7 processor. In most cases where I get reduced framerate it is caused by my processor being too slow and my GPU sitting largly idle.

The best example I have is with an AGP graphic card. The card could easilly run WC3 as I had a 7800GS (which is onpar with the PS3 graphically). I however never got framerates above 28 FPS in TKoK RPG despite an older graphic card (Geforce 4) doing so. The reason behind this was a bottlekneck (unfixable sadly due to crap BIOS) between the main memory and the graphic card causing poor graphic memory performance. The GPU could easilly run the games but the interface mechanics to it could not. Something like AntiAliasing which did not load the interface could be turned on without any change in performance so I was getting 28 FPS with AA off or AA turned to 8x.

Moral of the story, better GPU does not nescescarilly mean better FPS.

Level 4
yup... RAM and processor also affect gaming performance. Just make them balance and you will get maximum performance. My computer has 512 MB DDR RAM, Intel P4 2.8GHz and ATi Radeon 3450 HD 512 MB DDR2, and it doesn't work well because even ATi Radeon 3450HD has higher spec, my RAM and processor can't do same, so I think all the benefit of ATi Radeon just a waste, it just works in "below normal" performance (i think). Even I get some FPS hit with it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
No, it performs normally (as far as the 3450 HD was designed to). Just that your CPU can not utalize all its performance due to bottlenecks elsewhere. When running a game, your graphic card will probably be sitting idle most of the time waiting for instructions from your processor as the processor can not compute them fast enough.

Basically there are 2 situations which cause frames to be dropped.
1. The GPU is overloaded meaning that it still rendering the previous frame when the processor is ready to send it the next. The processor will atempt to wait as long as possible but will eventually have to move onto another update cycle meaning a whole frame gets missed.
2. The CPU is overloaded forcing it to skip rendering frames to keep up with updating the game. The GPU will just sit there doing nothing until the CPU makes up enough time to render another frame or it hits its maximum frame skip allowence.

Modern games limit the bottlekecking by having separate threads for generating the graphics and the actual game engine. SC2 for example updates 16 odd times a second as far as the mechanics behind the game but can render at a smooth 60 FPS. Even if your processor is overloaded, it is likly you will still have some FPS with decent multicore support like an I7. In WC3, if the game overloaded your FPS could hit the sub 0.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Only countries that have joined the EU fully use the Euro. The United Kingdom has retained its orignal currency (well its modern orignal currency) the Great British Pound £. Like wise Switzerland still uses its national currency of the Frank.

Personally you are best off investing in the Frank, that appears more stable than both Pound and Euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.