• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fortress Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Latest Version: Fortress Survival Alpha 4.30
Forums at www.clanfse.com

Please note this is constant work in progress :thumbs_up:

Survive 45 minutes of the enemy horde...
You only get one life, no second chances

I don't make maps the traditional way instead I host public testing versions of the map early on and then build off it from the communities feedback and what I want to see added. So I don't have a progress chart I just come out with a new version every time I have enough stuff to change it significantly.
Clan Fortress Survival Elite (FSE)

Survival type map, takes less than an hour max and incorporates elements from regular survival games, tower defenses and basing.

Enjoy!

I will change the attachment soon, but for now you can get 4.30 at http://epicwar.com/maps/57787/

Last edited:
Level 3
super good map. ive only played it 3 times but i love it. i never beaten it tho, its hard. i keep getting killed by the Shraakka thingy.. hes so strong. Sweet map!!!

Last edited:
Level 17
Its a good map, but it takes away the simplicity of a fun survival. Basicly this map is elitist, like Dota (in a way). Basicly, what the "Pros" tell me, the people who obviously think i fail at life and suck at everything because i didnt play a video game right, you HAVE to make repair buildings, and walls, and lumber mills, REALLY FAST, then make this specific tower, then this specific tower...

Its breeding a new herd of elitist game junkies... You need to add different ways to survive, not just, who ever builds fastest, and builds this specific combo.

Maybe its just me because i like more simple maps that require less hardcore timed manuevers.

But dont get me wrong, the game is great, REALLY hard, but great to play with friends. Although the community is starting to resemble dota.

Anyway, love it, 8/10. New concept too. Although you probebly took it from stay alive -_-

Lol, jk.

Level 3
I played it with many friends and i had fun but later in the Game its not funny anymore bec thee is no "Ultimate" Tower that is realy good.All Towers are not realy Strong...
But i like it 9/10

Level 5
Steel Stallion I know what you mean, I dislike those players but some people like things done their way period, especially if you are building with them (not me). I have been mixing up the ways you can go about surviving and there are some really crazy strategies that work besides the normal basing idea. Despite what the elitists who play my map say, no one tower is better than another in everything and there's no one specific way to go about surviving. They like to think that because it makes them look better but they're wrong. I made a post on my forums talking about this as well.
I started this before the first Stay Alive came out, it was released and I didn't know about it until I was about to release my first testing versions.

The3nd - I planned it without having an ultimate tower and in the newest version 4.00, towers have been buffed significantly and their costs reduced.

Thanks for the comments!

Edit: Latest version uploaded.

Last edited:
Level 36
This map owns. 9/10.
I agree with Steel_Stallion, though, it is hardcore like DotA or how Green TD used to be way back in the day. You could even reference it to Sheep Tag, build loads of farms and then loads of money farms, and then this tower to keep em back and this invisible thing and then get this item and blah blah blah blah blah.

Level 3
This map owns. 9/10.
I agree with Steel_Stallion, though, it is hardcore like DotA or how Green TD used to be way back in the day. You could even reference it to Sheep Tag, build loads of farms and then loads of money farms, and then this tower to keep em back and this invisible thing and then get this item and blah blah blah blah blah.

I know what yu mean about the hardcore(i used to love Green TD, until some noob hacked it....) but its not like sheep tag. that is the opposite of sheep tag what you said. I used to only play ST and what you described was not ST. But yea, I do agree with your about how its hardcore. 9.5/10!!:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 5
Next version should be a lot easier overall I hope, as well as a lot more of the usual updates and fixes. Thanks for the comments :)

Level 1
Hi Maddawg101, I'd like to congratulate you on a really sweet map, and maybe offer some feedback i've got for this wicked concept. However, I always start the bad before the good, so here is what I found to be a bit lacking:

Overall, I think the game is really well balanced, the main issue seems to be that of timing. The time you have to start your defense (it seems a bit on the short side, for beginners anyway..). The time you spend building certain structures. And the time when the Chaos damage, rage inducing aptly named Vice's begin spawning.

Don't get me wrong, A challenge is definitely worthwhile. But consider:

When selecting the difficulty level, perhaps the beginner level causes a buildspeed increase, or a lengthening of the grace period? As it seems it only affects monster hp totals?? Forgive me for not reading the readme on this one. That way, if one desires more problems, they have only to select hard or insane and they're on their way to being elitist.

Apart from all that bull, I hope you can find a solution that can balance it a bit here and there, because even though my base gets destroyed here and there, this game is incredible for teamwork.

I found myself just last game improvising a defense where three of us were taking care of keeping the walls up, and a fourth joined in and began building insane towers. we fed him lumber and he provided the damage. one of several wicked examples.

As far as team dynamic goes, this game is right up there with Swat:Aftermath and Undead Assault.

Working together is encouraged, but if you get the hang of things you can solo the game if you're savvy.

I don't think this game breeds elitist people. Elitist people are born, and taught to be that way through foul parenting and cutthroat bureaucracy.

So, until your next version comes out, I'll see if building 100 little barricades at the start can buy me and my buddies some more time. Cheers.

Level 3
This is a pretty neat map. I've only played a couple of times, but you've got a nice, polished product here.

I would say that a few help messages for noobs, like "BUILD REPAIRERS" and "UPGRADE YOUR CRAP" would be nice. Overall, though, a fine specimen of a map, and deserving of the success it has thus far enjoyed.

Level 4
hey maddawg im from your clan... just saying its a good map but your main guy should be able to attack or be a hero marine because theres marines on the whole map and then your a little worker that appeared from nowhere....it should start with the camera on the ziggurat right.... then the camera shakes (oh yea no marines on the outside of it ) then a marine says "we cant kill them all get out!"then it stops shaking after that.. one by one each persons hero marine comes out of the ziggurat and after there all out the a few monsters come out and the marines kill them (they get healed after)then the camera is set to normal. a menu comes up if you want to be a medic builder or sniper builder etc then the game carries on... but thats just what i think you should change it to or near the same or even much different otherwise stick with your way of doing it

GOOD JOB SO FAR :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 5
Thanks for the comments and suggestions all! I will be taking these into consideration and I'm planning on releasing the new version within the next week so stay tuned!

Level 3
Something unusual about the map is the rather low level of offense. I suppose this is by design, but near every TD I've ever played has accustomed me to killing attacking creeps in a few seconds at most.

Level 5
The first time I released a version with repair units, I was kinda annoyed that people were focusing more on defense than killing the monsters and they'd let the monsters trap each other as a strategy. Since then it's been implemented into part of the game and I like how it's different from other games in that sense, even if it was half by accident. (Also I didn't know that you could repair from a half space away at first:smile:)

Level 3
Something unusual about the map is the rather low level of offense. I suppose this is by design, but near every TD I've ever played has accustomed me to killing attacking creeps in a few seconds at most.

lol dude its not a TD, its like... kodo tag on steroids/crack/somekind of zombie infection thing. :)

Level 3
I know, but TD is more common than "kodo tag", and thus I was surprised by the design. People are, after all, creatures of habit.

Level 5
It's a mix of a lot of things, and because it doesn't fit into any of those categories it's more unique than most maps = better in my opinion.

Level 3
Fortress Survival IS original. However, could you consider toning it down a bit. Even beginner is quite tough, whereas to my mind if there are multiple difficulties the lowest one should be achievable in the average pubby game and the others doable, but only with much more experience and hard work. You're almost at Impossible bosses-level difficulty, as of now.

Level 5
In the next version overall the gameplay will be a lot more lenient. 4.00 has bee beaten on easy and normal, but I can't confirm any wins on mad or impossible modes. Hopefully the new version with the difficulty toned down a little will be released this weekend.

Level 1
I love this map! I just googled it to find some info and this was the first link to show up, so that's why my account is new.

I have a few comments about the map:
1. I don't know if it's a lag issue because of my computer or what but usually nearing the end of the game the lag spikes up a ton.
2. With the lag, it's difficult to kill the last boss at the end...and sometimes he doesn't even come out...are we suppose to just go find him? Doing so is difficult because of again, the lag.
3. My last comment/question is, is it possible to beat this map by solo-ing? Many times i've joined this game and the elitists are constantly saying that you have to team up and it gets annoying after awhile when really I'd prefer playing by myself.

Other then that though, great map! It's addicting and I look forward to your new version.

Level 1
A very good map... its so fun if you play it with friends, seriously hope you continue on updating this map regularly. 9/10

Level 5
Plan is to release the new version on Friday! I've spent a significant amount of time specifically working on fixing the lag issues, as well as the all around fixes and improvements to the game.

Superg- If by solo you mean build separately from others then yes that is possible but hard to accomplish. If you are the sole player in the game, however, I would be very surprised if you survived till the end.

Level 1
Lovely map

Really fascinating map, i played 20 or more times, and i still cant complete it:) The map is hard and intersting, that's why i am playing so much.

I think, balance is quite good, however, i dont like random factor - when Scraash or somebody else big comes to your base. Also, im not really sure that mills lv4 are useful - they are too expensive and longtime building. Well, the creator knows better what is useful and what is not. Thank you for your map.

P. S. If it is possible, please post winning replay here, i am intersted what is good build order.

Level 1
Trojan Bug

Hey Maddawg,
Nice map but it sucks that u didn't get the most important part of the game right. Trojan gets stuck in the middle of the map so never comes to any of the bases, so times run out with all bases still up. I do the bunker glitch to stay alive through the explosion but then it says that you were defeated. Please fix the Trojan bug, it's frustrating burning all that time to get to the end and have a beautiful base only to find Trojan humping mid.
1st-Night

Level 5
4.10 is a lot easier than previous versions and I will do significant balancing in the next version to counter that. Trojan getting stuck in mid and monsters in general getting stuck in the spawn points is something that I'm working on as well.

Replays have been posted in the Map General Discussion at http://clanfse.co.nr.

Level 1
Hi all!
First i want to say that im loving your game Maddawg101.
We played all versions and yesterday we beat trojan at impossible. (pretty hard)
I dont know if there is any other guy which made it so far.
I want to know if there is coming a new version of fortress or not ?

Level 5
Of course, Fortress Survival Alpha version 4.20 is already in development and there will be lots of new content as well as bug fixing from 4.10. Thanks for playing!

Level 9
Dear Maddawg,

I host this a lot on US Azeroth.

There is a hacked version in existance, where they added Phoenixes and Towers and changed the wood value and also removed some of the tech trees for instant building lifewalls. They named it 4.21. I have also run across a 4.20A version that also seems inheriently 'easier'.

I think the difference is that the monsters in 4.20A turn around and leave you alone after destroying a few buildings.

Maddawg you also have a legion of fans on US Azeroth who are talking about 'developing' your map for you, and there are at least 2 rip-offs I have seen of it already. I believe one is called Ice Lich. You should perhaps make an attempt to grab these people and pull them into your development team.

Also the website to go to seems to constantly change, can you just pick 1 and be done with it?

Warmest Replies,
~Host SilverSong

Level 5
Silversong- thanks for the support and I know all about the fake versions. My community and I try our best to keep the official versions out in front. (clanfse.co.nr) I used to switch the site around a lot for a variety of reasons but now we've found a permanent home. 4.30 is on the way, thanks again for playing!

Level 5
4.20P is an official version, 4.2 by itself is not.

We've been working on the forums very recently so if you try again at clanfse.com it should work now. Previously we used clanfse.co.nr but I think clanfse.com will be our last stop.

Thanks kewl!

Level 11
I have a suggestion here
your game play is nice enough, but 1 thing is your model file and light.

the model file let me feel like a very old game, and the look very dark.

my suggest way is:
Give more sight range to the unit.
disable the black mask
Change some model file to more attractive.(Suggested don't import model file, it cause your map size very large, hard to explore in battle net)
More special effect added.

It juz my suggestion, it maybe not true to all of the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.