• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Forest Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Project Name
Forest Arena
Current Version
0.28b Open Beta
Short Map Description
Short Map Description
The Forest Arena is an ancient arena in Ashenvale. It's an open Arena with custom heroes with triggered spells, a periodic mini arena event, a boss and other features that will come soon.
Already implemented

• 11 heroes
  • Periodic mini arena
  • A boss - needs improvements in difficulty
  • 1 game mode

Well... I think you should test it with your friends. I hope you enjoy playing this map :)

I hope there will be useful feedback.

~ IceFrog_Ger

The changelogs will always change. Here's listed what will be in the next version.

- The Arch Mage won't be paused while casting "Arcane Focus".
- The Arch Mages first ability is now based on another spell. The first version of it silenced the target accidentally.
- The Arch Mages first ability now have a reduced cooldown.
- Reduced Arch Mages Mana Explosion cooldown by 10 seconds.
- The Blood Berserker won't lose collision while he's casting "Blood Pit".
- Fixed some tooltips.
- The Time Warriors Ultimate won't reset the animation of dead units anymore.
- Made the Death Knights' Dark Presence more powerful.
- Changed Eredar Warlocks Ultimate to a powerful AE life drain.
- Changed Eredar Warlocks Acid Rain to a passive spell that has a chance to deal bonus damage to the enemy if you cast a spell.
- Weakened Disciple of Chaos' Ultimate by reducing damage and duration.
- Weakened Disciple of Chaos' Dark Explosion by reducing stun duration and damage.
- Added the Fire Fiend. This hero is an intelligence-based caster with abilities to affect enemy groups.

- Fixed the Archmages first spell.
- Dramatically reduced the cooldown of the Archmages ultimate.
- Swapped the icons of the Fire Fiends "Hellfire" and "Eternal Flame"
- Fixed Fire Fiends ultimate.
- New spell damage concept: If an ability would only deal damage, it would deal 100/200/300/400 damage. But every bonus effect (stun, AE, and so on...) will reduce this damage proportional to the strength of that bonus. Consequently different spells will be weakened.
- Blood Berserkers "Heavy Strike" will deal 75/150/225/300 damage instead of 100/200/300/400.
- Moon Huntress "Will of the Stars" will now deal 80/160/240/320 damage instead of 100/200/300/400
- If the Spirit Wolf learned "Realm of Shadows", he will need 6/4.5/3 seconds to hide instead of 4/3/2 seconds.
- Changed the Death Knights "Dark Presence" into "Soul Hunter". The Death Knight can choose a unit. The unit will be given additional attack speed and a life recovery if the unit kills an enemy.
- Increased the chance of Spirit Wolfs "Phantasmal Paw".
- Increased the damage of Spirit Wolfs "Spectral Claw" from 80/160/240/320 to 90/180/270/360. Reason: The teleport of that spell isn't that powerful.

- Fixed the icon position of Death Knights "Soul Hunter".
- Fixed the icon for Death Knights "Soul Hunter".

~ 0.29 ~

Attachments

• Forest Arena 0.28b.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Level 3
@MortAr & Just_Spectating

Thanks for this tip. Gonna test it out.

Did you also play the map? Some feedback about the heroes would be nice.

Level 15
First thing I noticed is that your tooltip for the heroes are inconsistent. You use [] for some of the heroes and "" for others (I'm talking about the skill names). I think you should stick to either of those, or none at all. eg. "Blood Pit", [Blood Pit], Blood Pit.

I am not a very big fan of the Berserker's Ultimate. It gives you flying pathing (or no collision, whichever), which is useful but extremely glitchy. You could get stuck on cliffs and stuff and it becomes extremely annoying.
In addition, I think that you should remake the Bloodlust skill or tweak it. As it is, you cannot cast Blood Pit without removing the buff granted by that skill. I know it may be too powerful if you are able to move extremely quickly while dealing tons of damage, but it is also rather poor design if you had a skill that counters another of your own skills.
His stun is ok, but could be more interesting and unique. The Lifesteal may prove to be extremely powerful, but it should be alright.

Pretty good so far, the map could do with some more triggerred spells or more interesting ones in general, but I'd say the gameplay is pretty good.

Level 15
I tested the Archmage as well, and the Death Knight guy. Somethings I noted:

I don't like that the Archmage's Arcane focus pauses the hero. It makes it impossible to cancel the spell halfway. Unless this was intended, I think it would be better if you simply restore some of the hero's mana when he finishes casting the skill (Unit- Finishes casting an ability). This makes it so that the trigger will run when you are done channeling (not cancelled).

The Archmage is a pretty nice concept, and I imagine that he would be really fun to play against other players (couldn't get a multiplayer game on). I can imagine him using his First Skill -> Ultimate -> Focus -> Ultimate something else. It would be pretty cool xD

The Death Knight, on the other hand, could be better. I see that he is supposed to dash into battle and just force enemy focus, while being a caster at the same time. However, some of his abilities are rather generic. You could try and tweak the toggle slightly, say give it a lifesteal component (while active, damages nearby enemies, healing the hero for 25% that amount), leaving you with a free first skill for things like mobility or some kind of disable/slow.

Just tried the Eredar as well. I kinda like his first ability, although it may be rather difficult to max out the damage. I think it is rather interesting. His second ability is probably gonna be a strong asset to any team, not much to say here. I don't really like Acid Rain, though. It forces you into a rather difficult position and makes you really vulnerable. It seems rather fine, though, since it could prove to have strong synergy with his second skill. Finally, we have his Ultimate. I'm not a fan of things that instant kill/damages a completely random target. I would very much rather have it damage the thing with the lowest amount of health remaining and simply do a random amount of bonus damage.
The hotkey for his first skill doesn't work, BTW. There's also a double '[' in the tooltip.

Some of the other heroes are pretty nice. You should, however, add the ability Locust to those dummy units that aren't supposed to die/have health etc. Black Shield, for example, creates a dummy that doesn't have Locust.

EDIT: I tried the Time Warrior. Really enjoyed him :D I can say that he was really nicely designed, but some errors I noticed.
His teleport skill doesn't stun in an AoE, even though the tooltip says it does.
His Ultimate's tooltip doesn't reflect the actual level of the skill.

Other than that, I find him extremely entertaining and fun. I'm not sure about how strong he is, but he is extremely interesting :D

Level 3
- Added a changelog for the next version. I will always update the changelog. You can see there what will be updated in the next version.

[30.09.2010] 0.28a is finished so far. Enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.