• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

First time terraining : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Well i have had an inspiration to make a map for some time now but the terraining side of things always seems to let me down.
I have no troubles with triggering i learnt that basics of that by just trial and error then read over a few tutorials.. but anyway..
Here are some pictures i have taken of the map i have created so far and would like constructive criticism/praise/suggestions/ideas and such like.
The map i have created is going to be DotA-esque but revolve more around the player 11 + 12 side of things rather than heroes (upgrading damage and adding units to each additional wave with gold)
but anyway, from fear of going off topic..
Here are the screenshots..

1. an area of the map which will be used as a quest starter or vendor depending on how i react with the quest triggers:
b504fk.jpg

2. A combat area designed to allow 'walling' of units (probably by accident :p)
2yn3p94.jpg

3. A hill/slope that leads the path to a slight clearing (bottom right) where units/quest mob/a portal to a boss (if i could get the boundaries texture working correctly). NOTE: the area the slope comes off (middle left) is a path the player 11 + 12's mobs will walk along.
14kuufo.jpg

Thank you for any responses :)
Sakuria x

Reactions: HFR
Level 36
How can we just ignore a new user asking for our critique and help? Ah well, let me take care of this.

You're terrain lacks imports, I dont know how much you know about this, though. But, the reason your terrain doesnt look as great as you want it to is because you are using standard Wc3 doodads, for the most part. I would suggest you download the UTM, found here:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/the-ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

And start by finding a tree model that you like and that would fit into your terrain, then you export it and import it to your map, more than likely does it not even need a costom path. Some smaller doodads, as shrubs and ferns could also improve your terrain. Now, I think you're doing a great job when it comes to tiles, and hight variation, so that doesnt seem to be a problem, and for the most part the doodad placement is also good. Though some doodads doesnt look so good, like for instance the rock in the middle of the water fall, as you can see it appears to be floating above the ground, be sure no doodads do this.

You can lower the doodad into the ground by selecting it a press Shift + page down, or ctrl + page down, I always forget which of them it is when not doing it >.>

I like your choise of rocks as well ^^ The sunken ruins rock is the very best wc3 rock model :D

Level 19
These look good for first. UTM is your friend, and with using more custom models I think you would be able to make it look even better. Now that the max size of maps is increased to 8 mb you don't have to worry about size as much as before. Anyway, keep it up! Would like to see some non-playables too. ; )

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Very true. With the UTM, you can make wonders even in playable maps. As the limit is now 8 mb, no problem. If it's a campaign, even better.

Try replacing the trees with either swamp trees or maybe even some pines. Also remember to make different sizes and models for the trees.

Level 3
Thank you for the replies guys
I have the UTM and this map is based off it, but i guess i am just not aware the full extent of the content available yet :)

Level 3
Since posting these pictures i have completed the terraining of my map and have go over the first places i did and have added more tiles and doodads to places that seemed a bit bare, for example the second screenshot now has more leaf tiles on it and the occasional vines.
:)
i'm round to pathing blocking it now, and damn does this take a while >.>
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.