• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Fav Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi there. I am Brightmoore.
I myself got an e-xbox 360 Elite.. and liked most of the games and such. BUT. what about you people? I allways wondered about what people whom likes warcraft 3 or atleast plays it. likes what kind of console? my fav. is a psx. but i got sick after having it. got the original, then the more handy version PSX1. then PSX2, then the smaller of it. and in the end. i kinda got sick of it.. Then i got myself an x-box 360 elite, and plays still the good old X-box games. before the 360's time. but what do you people like most kind of console?

nesdeck.jpg

Best home video game console imo.

Level 13
1. Wii
2. Perhaps a 360, but i have never played the PS3 anyways.
3. PSP

Level 15
My top 3 Consoles
1.) Xbox 360
2.) Ps2
3.) N64
Best Exclusive Games for these consoles
1.) Xbox 360 - Gears of War series, Mass Effect series, and Halo series.
2.) Ps2 - Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Tekken 5, and God of War series.
3.) N64 - Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, and Bomberman 64.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

1.) PS2 (just because I have like 2,000$ worth of games 4 it lol)
2.) Atari (Because of the Swordquest series!)
3.) NES (It has the blinkies now but it was fun b4)

Level 11
what in the world is a PSX??? :p lol but anyway i personally like:
1. N64 - Super mario 64 was amazing.... Goldeneye... SSB, mario party...man..... :p

2. PS3 (not the slim version) i love that demons souls game! GoW 3, R&C series, Uncharted 2, Resistance fall of man, but resistance 2 just made me mad...

3. Xbox 360 - Halo series, Gears of War series

Level 13
I will have to go with 360 at the moment since they have better games/ live to me but before I had a 360 I was a Playstation player but that's back when they had good games on that console.

Should have really made a poll for this thread.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. 360 - One of the 2 actual current gen consoles (wii is last gen packaged as current gen). I happen to own it and even though I use component cables it looks amazing compared to any of the other consoles I have. Final fantasy 13, dozens of lego games, sonic games, it has them all and each looking amazing (except sonic 2006.....). If only it had a blu-ray player it would be unbeatable but it does not. It is only here cause I own it and am happy with it.
2. Old DS / DS lite (not DSI and newer) - There is a very logical reason for this being here and that is the fact it is not only a DS, but it is a GBA as well. Yes it does not play GBC or GB games but you still have a massive choice available to you, ranging from the best of the SNES to very good unique games. Legend of zelda? you got 3 to choose from. Mario? You have dozens. Final Fantasy? You have 4 main stream (6 in japan) as well as countless spin offs. It is amazing such a small console has so many hit games, too bad I emeulated them all on my PC but in theory, you could have played them all on a DS.
3 - This has to be a playstation, afterall they did have some good games. The ultimate playstation would be an orignal PS3 as it ran most PS1, PS2 and all PS3 games but those probably are falling appart now. Thus it goes to the PS2, or atleast the models which still ran the PS1 games. You have a large choice of games, from 5 final fantasy (7 to 12 ignoring 11 and more if you count the bad ports of the SNES ones), amusing series like spyro the dragon all the way to other serious games of the time that you might like like god of war or kingdom hearts. Although games are few and far between for me, a lot of people will agree.

Level 4
Top 3
1. Meh PC, nuff siad ^.^

2. Xbox 360
mainly for the games and the controller that i find is more comfortable for the games i play

3.PS1
Nuff said

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The PC is not really a console, but a general computer.

Consoles are dedicated computer systems designed to run selected games and apps specifically designed for the console. As such they perform better than a PC would with simlar theretical hardware. Additionally consoles are standardised, with games designed for the console working (or atleast should) on all revisions of the console (in this case the DSi is a different console from the DS).

PCs on the otherhand have very little standardization and are general purpose. Software developed for PCs has to support different hardware configurations, different interface performances and even different opperating systems and functionality. On top of that there are always tasks running in the background which are not related to the game which have the potential to interfear with its performance. You can also easilly upgrade your PC to have better hardware or new opperating systems whereas a console can only be upgraded by buying one of a newer revision or newer design Thus why PC is not truely a console due to this flexibility.

On top of that all game consoles as far as I know use RISC based programming. All mac and windows opperating systems have to use CISC processors (Linux and other OS support RISC but generally are not in noticable demand). Additionally the architexture of game consoles is different from that of PCs, featuring different interface methods for less latency or syncronized components for graphics (Xbox 360 can get almost free AA unlike the PS3 due to the layout of its graphic processors).

The most noticable console for its difference in architexture is the wii. Although the weakest modern console (you are probably laughing at me for saying the wii) and not truely being from this generation, it is by far the most efficent of the consoles for what it does. It is extreemly optimized and not only can run games like your super mario galexy which are fun, but it does so far better than a PC would ever be able to do so.

The wii consumes a massive 17 watts of power on average. Less than some comercial household lights. Compared to my core i7 which alone consumes up to 130 watts and my geforce 275 GTX at 219 watts you already see how well the wii does its job and I have not even mentioned the other stuff my PC needs to work that chews power. Yes my PC runs SC2 on ultra with FPS higher than most people even in demanding custom maps but is made with technology 3 years newer than the wii but it can not run games at the same quality the wii does without chewing more power.

As you could see that comparision was stupid. I was comparing a PC with 2008-2009 technology brought in june 2009 to a wii console launched in 2006.

Now lets do something better, comparing my PC with its probably max 450 watt power consumption to a PS3. A PS3 can do a vast variety of stuff from playing blu-ray to your games like final fantasy with an unbelieveable 76 watt power consumtion (newest models). You will be very hard pushed to get a PC to do better for the same quality and at the same price. My PC cost 2000£, a bog standard PS3 costs no more than 300£ (probably less now).

There is no way you can call a PC a console due to the major differences in how they work. Software creation for a console is easy cause you know everyone has the same power of hardware down to even individual clock cycles where as in PCs you are often forced to use less efficent programming methods to occomidate for varience in hardware and even probability of better hardware (e.g. crysis).

All consoles are pretty ridged, with each one having clearly difined capabilities.
Where as PCs are highly customizable and flexible. Capable of performing a variety of tasks although have limitied efficency for a specific task. Yes my PC is able to do a lot more a lot better than a PS3 or 360, it does not do so more efficently.

Thus why its unfair to bring PC into this. Although I do agree to some degree that PCs are way superiour, they are not truely a console.

Its like compairing the queens gaurd to a guy able to choose any modern combat weapon in existance. Yes the guy will totally out class them with modern body armor and assault weapons but given the same task and gear he will not do as well as they do.

Level 24

Consoles are dedicated computer systems designed to run selected games and apps specifically designed for the console. As such they perform better than a PC would with simlar theretical hardware. Additionally consoles are standardised, with games designed for the console working (or atleast should) on all revisions of the console (in this case the DSi is a different console from the DS).

PCs on the otherhand have very little standardization and are general purpose. Software developed for PCs has to support different hardware configurations, different interface performances and even different opperating systems and functionality. On top of that there are always tasks running in the background which are not related to the game which have the potential to interfear with its performance. You can also easilly upgrade your PC to have better hardware or new opperating systems whereas a console can only be upgraded by buying one of a newer revision or newer design Thus why PC is not truely a console due to this flexibility.

On top of that all game consoles as far as I know use RISC based programming. All mac and windows opperating systems have to use CISC processors (Linux and other OS support RISC but generally are not in noticable demand). Additionally the architexture of game consoles is different from that of PCs, featuring different interface methods for less latency or syncronized components for graphics (Xbox 360 can get almost free AA unlike the PS3 due to the layout of its graphic processors).

The most noticable console for its difference in architexture is the wii. Although the weakest modern console (you are probably laughing at me for saying the wii) and not truely being from this generation, it is by far the most efficent of the consoles for what it does. It is extreemly optimized and not only can run games like your super mario galexy which are fun, but it does so far better than a PC would ever be able to do so.

The wii consumes a massive 17 watts of power on average. Less than some comercial household lights. Compared to my core i7 which alone consumes up to 130 watts and my geforce 275 GTX at 219 watts you already see how well the wii does its job and I have not even mentioned the other stuff my PC needs to work that chews power. Yes my PC runs SC2 on ultra with FPS higher than most people even in demanding custom maps but is made with technology 3 years newer than the wii but it can not run games at the same quality the wii does without chewing more power.

As you could see that comparision was stupid. I was comparing a PC with 2008-2009 technology brought in june 2009 to a wii console launched in 2006.

Now lets do something better, comparing my PC with its probably max 450 watt power consumption to a PS3. A PS3 can do a vast variety of stuff from playing blu-ray to your games like final fantasy with an unbelieveable 76 watt power consumtion (newest models). You will be very hard pushed to get a PC to do better for the same quality and at the same price. My PC cost 2000£, a bog standard PS3 costs no more than 300£ (probably less now).

There is no way you can call a PC a console due to the major differences in how they work. Software creation for a console is easy cause you know everyone has the same power of hardware down to even individual clock cycles where as in PCs you are often forced to use less efficent programming methods to occomidate for varience in hardware and even probability of better hardware (e.g. crysis).

All consoles are pretty ridged, with each one having clearly difined capabilities.
Where as PCs are highly customizable and flexible. Capable of performing a variety of tasks although have limitied efficency for a specific task. Yes my PC is able to do a lot more a lot better than a PS3 or 360, it does not do so more efficently.

Thus why its unfair to bring PC into this. Although I do agree to some degree that PCs are way superiour, they are not truely a console.

Its like compairing the queens gaurd to a guy able to choose any modern combat weapon in existance. Yes the guy will totally out class them with modern body armor and assault weapons but given the same task and gear he will not do as well as they do.

Now with 95% less words

Level 4

I still consider the PC to be a type of gaming console ;P
I consider any object you can game on, a gaming console

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes but A PC can not only run game or game realted stuff.

Thus you could say that part of a PC is a games console, but it is still a sub section of the PC as most of it is not.

What makes the PC better than a game console is the part of it that does not run games. You can modify the games (TES oblivion for example) by altering the data files, no such functionaility is built into the PS3 / 360. You can alter the hardware to fit your needs (like using 4 GB or RAM to load half the overworld in TES oblivion). You can run something else while running a game (skype, messanger, disassembler, you name it) which consoles do not allow past those built in to their limited OS.

Although modern consoles are more like PCs, they still lack the freedom of a PC.

Thus you can not compare something standardized to something flexible. The standardized thing performs its designed purpse better than something flexible can (efficency / usibility) while the standardized thing can not do everything that something flexible can.

Programming for PCs is hard, much harder than game consoles. Even something dumb like a programming lab task in python could run flawlessly on my home PC but cause freezes or graphic errors on the computers at my lab.

Level 4
Yes but A PC can not only run game or game realted stuff.

Thus you could say that part of a PC is a games console, but it is still a sub section of the PC as most of it is not.

What makes the PC better than a game console is the part of it that does not run games. You can modify the games (TES oblivion for example) by altering the data files, no such functionaility is built into the PS3 / 360. You can alter the hardware to fit your needs (like using 4 GB or RAM to load half the overworld in TES oblivion). You can run something else while running a game (skype, messanger, disassembler, you name it) which consoles do not allow past those built in to their limited OS.

Although modern consoles are more like PCs, they still lack the freedom of a PC.

Thus you can not compare something standardized to something flexible. The standardized thing performs its designed purpse better than something flexible can (efficency / usibility) while the standardized thing can not do everything that something flexible can.

Programming for PCs is hard, much harder than game consoles. Even something dumb like a programming lab task in python could run flawlessly on my home PC but cause freezes or graphic errors on the computers at my lab.
Umm ok, its a multi-purpose gaming console? Im sorry, i really dont want to read your walls of text.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There are emulators for most old consoles on the PC.

The main stream ones with emulators are NES, SNES, genesis, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, DS.

As well as those, there are more obscure ones like arcade systems, dos (Yes a PC emulator for the PC as modern windows does not have dos in it anymore), dreamcast (horrible compared to the PS2 and wii emulators as far as quality), and various expansions for consoles like SNES and genesis as well as the sega saturn.

The more advanced manstream emulators like DS, wii and PS2 still have problems (especially the wii) but the older consoles like gba, PS1 and N64 are near perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.