• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Encyclopedia Dramatica is no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Yes, thy grim news are present to us this very day. The epic source of LULZ and OMGWTFZ that has been amusing us for so long since its release, has been BUTCHERED to EMPTINESS by some *******G *********G ********S who imply that "Encyclopedia Dramatica violates human rights." WTF?!?! What, did they crucify someone and stabbed them?! Yes, it had some shocks and even insults, but it was all for satirical and comedy purposes, not for wanting to make someone feel bad!
Well, instead of www.encyclopediadramatica.com, we got www.ohinternet.com. Yes, it's now called "Oh internet". And they KILLED IT. Now with 85% less swear words on the entire site, not one single "offensive" picture, nothing. It's basically a "Know Your Meme" comment dispenser.
What ungodly devilish force did this to ED?!! If they ARE doing this "purge of offensiveness", then you might as well turn 4Chan into a dating site!!! It would certainly be more fun than it is now!
Well, that's my rage. If you have something to add, do so. If you have a "smartass reply", please hold back from it.

I don't want to be mean, but...
And-not-a-single-fuck-Was-given-that-day.jpg

Actually, there's still hope.
Some generous people (mostly the Anonymous and members of Web Ecology Project) are working on recovering ED. The new site uses .ch instead of .com in the url.
So to all lulcows, keep cry sum moar!!!

I find ED to have many valuable informations (sure, there are articles that are not serious and are obviously just for lulz) about the internet, and it makes me become aware of how to act and not to act in the internet (and IRL as well).
In simple words, it technically teaches you to not become a complete idiot.

Last edited:
Level 4
Some generous people (mostly the Anonymous and members of Web Ecology Project) are working on recovering ED. The new site uses .ch instead of .com in the url.

I find ED to have many valuable informations (sure, there are articles that are not serious and are obviously just for lulz) about the internet, and it makes me become aware of how to act and not to act in the internet (and IRL as well).

So... it's alive... It's ALIIVEEEE!!!

...of course, before they take THAT down as well.

You guys realize ED is also the initials for erectile dysfunction . . .

Some anons got together to make a replacement, ripping ED's articles from Google's caches.
Can't find the link though.

Lol ED articles

Lol ED has valuable informations

ED was pretty dumb in my opinion anyway, just another place for channers to rant on about everything they hate (pretty much everything).

Lol I think ED is dumb too

As recap, Erectile Dysfunction is funny as hell. Thanks for about 4 minutes of laughing from this thread

Statements from the site founder, Sherrod DeGrippo, about why she replaced Encyclopedia Dramatica with Oh Internet.

DeGrippo said:
Change is made for several reasons:

• Implementation of Semantic mediawiki, the best thing to ever happen to wikis. An amazing technology that allow for easier editing and querying. This is the kind of data that needs to be easily organized and queried. It also needs to be a piece of cake to add information quickly and easily. Semantic mediawiki does that. I am excited and I love it
  • There had previously been no upgrades, no redesigns and no changes in seven years. Sites that don't change, become irrelevant. There are tons of examples. I would like to discuss them with [Gawker founder] Nick Denton. We will sit back and talk about those inscrutable users and their dislike for redesigns. [Ed. note: LOL]
  • I think generally SFW is a good way to go. Having a site that is blocked by so many office and school filters is frustrating to work on.
  • That domain name was way too long. Good god.

Source:
http://gawker.com/#!5792738/what-happened-to-encyclopedia-dramatica

In other words, she got tired of hosting a site with NSFW contents. Plus the site didn't had any sponsors left, so it's also due to financial reasons.

Level 26
I'm sorry, they sanitized ED? Like, the site that alleges that Jews caused 9/11? That one?

This is fucking stupid. Encyclopedia Dramatica is all about being offensive and shocking. It literally had no other reason to exist. If they wanted a sanitized version of it they could have just went to Lurkmore or that worthless Know Your Meme site, where 12-year olds can feel super cool on the internets by rehashing trends that they don't in the slightest bit understand.

Level 26
MySpacebarBroke, you forgot to mention Uncyclopedia... and I wouldn't be so sceptic about Know your meme and Lurkmore...
The difference is that whereas ED, Lurkmoar, and Know Your Meme all draw their roots from the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is 4Chan, Uncyclopedia was pretty much just some guys that thought it'd be pretty funny to make a parody of Wikipedia.

I have nothing against Lurkmore, but I do blame sites like those of the Cheezburger network and Know Your Meme for making internet trolling this hot new thing when it was once used to describe the most grotesque, primal form of dark humor and mindless slack-jawed internet idiocy.

I can't really say that this is a bad thing, or even the wrong thing to do, but I can say that trolling isn't funny anymore, and "epic win" and "fail" are two terms I would no longer mind seeing erased from the dictionary forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.