• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Ecco's Legacy - In development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Name is not final.

Olof, Mecheon and I have started work on an Ecco inspired map.

Yes, that's Ecco the dolphin, savior of the Universe woo'ooo. Or was that Flash?

Anyway, a few specs followed by some alpha shots:
  • It's underwater, albeit faked underwater using some cunning fog, doodad and ambience effects.
  • It will be multiplayer. Right now you can only play as a dolphin, but that may expand. I particularly like the idea of playable bad guys.
  • We will be as faithful to the Ecco series as we can, but this is a translation into Warcraft, so expect a lot of changes.
  • There's 2 'heights' of gameplay. One for sea bed, one for midwater level.
  • Many enemy units are invisible. Yuo have to use sonar to reveal the units (unless they attack you anyway)

eccoland30xt.jpg

orthocone1ud.jpg

arrrghdunker7il.jpg

Cam locks to your dolphin by default, but you can turn that on and off through tying keywords.

Seabed level lets you pick up items, attack/feed on critters, and perform actions in deep water. You cannot attack units that are in higher water.
Midwater level lets you interact with units on that level. You cannot pick up items, or attack units on the seabed.

Changing depth costs 25 stamina but does not have a cooldown.

heights5ok.jpg

babies6hh.jpg

babdolph3cv.jpg

Level 9
Looks interesting, I remember Ecco quite fondly. What sort of gamepaly will it be? I think an attempt at a side scroller of sorts would be pretty neat. (Keep the camera angle, but lock it and move it as the player goes in a linear-ish path with the odd secret along the way.)

Level 15
Some initial ideas include:

Regions - ideally each would represent a timezone, but we cant afford to add alternative models. Each region will be connected by a portal (waygate system) and only a portal.

Multiplayer adds extra diversity. I've hinted on babies and bad guys. I think a sort of replayable task system, including overcoming bad guys, bosses, collecting items, gathering resources and even establishing a colony.

Level 13
Although I did never play the game, I really like the idea for the map, something new.
To the terrain:
Looking at the staff, I see you should have no big problems there. I'm sure I DID do some nice underwater terrains, just don't know where I put 'em. If I find them, I'll post them here. Perhaps you'll see something you could use.

Level 22
The whole point of making a map/mod is for people to play it. I cant see how any such thing can be exclusive.

If that is the case, then why has the map(s) not officially been submitted here by the developers? are they not interested in getting the map spread across the commiunity? I would figure anyone wanting their work downloaded would get it uploaded on as many sites as possible. After all, this is one of the largest map downloading sites...

Anyway, back on topic. I'm willing to help if you want any. How will that map be laid out? An FFA of some sort, or a collection of baddies controlled by players who are all out to stop the Ecco player from completing a certain objective? The original games revolved around puzzles and traps...will those be a primary factor in this?
-VGsatomi

Level 22
Which goes all the way back to my first question that was ignored; will it be submitted here or kept exclusivly on the hubb?

As for map ideas, I remember one prominant part of Ecco 2 was the sort-of-racing portions where you had to swim through the odd looking hoops to get a boost to make it through the 3rd-person view areas. I'm thinking a surivial map where you got to get to point A to oint B, making sure you his all the checkpoints in the way (kind of like those loops in the original) in an environment where the traps, obstacles are completely randomized (to keep replay value and so people cant "memorize" the map), And then there's the shark player who activly tries to hinder the rest of the players. Maybe if a player gets bit by a shark, they are stunned for a few seconds, but then immune to bites for a few seconds afterward to give incentive fot the shark to chase after another player (he may be immune to obstacles and the such). And every one in a while the players are seperated and must complete a puzzle of some sort (again, something similar to the original).

Basically a checkpoint race with tons of obstacles and traps and seperate puzzle areas. If a player dies, they simply respwn at the last checkpoint. This is all stuff I know how to do, so I can assist with making these if you so desite.

Well, thats my first idea.

p.s. Ecco was an (unwilling) time travaler, so its easy to make it set in pre-history.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.