• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Dont you just hate Spyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
over the last week my computer has been running without me knowing of spyware on my laptop.Luckily i hadnt typed in any important details so i should still have my privacy.

I was running IE and went to a PC Authority recommended site and saw a link for a neat firewall program. Clicked on it and this DriveCleaner website came up. Wasn't what i was looking for so i went back to google. A week later i decided to get firefox and Spyware Docter. I scan my computer and this DriverCleaner file pops up and is put under "severe threat". I did eventually get rid of it.

I guess the moral of the story is to always use Firefox for its pop-up blocker but if by any chance this site comes up, close the browser and scan your computer immediatly. It may just be a keylogger program.

Just a heads up for the community :) ~The Darkness

(Btw i made The Darkness01 for posting just in case the program was a keylogger so you can do some sort of deleting thing on him :))

Level 18
Keyloggers are a virus categroy, not spy/adware. Also, the best free anti spy/adware software is Spybot Search & Destroy. Also, Firefox's anti-virus/spy/adware and popup-blocking capabilites pale in comparison to Opera's. It could be said that FF is a cheap rip-off of Opera.

-*meow*

Level 5
FF ftw!! I realised IE sucks after many years... FF is much more "hack proof" then IE. I have no idea what Opera is Shados, but Darkness your best bet unfortunatly is to buy an anti-virus program and keep it updated. Easier said then done, as most are expensive, but they do work very well. I use McAfee and it works like a charm ;) Other options are Norton and PC-cillin. Best of luck, and yess i HATE spywear :\

Level 36
I get the Norton protection suite free with my ISP. It's a handy little thing, and it always seems to pick up everything, but I completely agree. I've had nasty bouts with spyware over my years of computer use and they aren't pleasant things. Buggers to catch and even harder to get rid of. Spybot Search and Destroy is merely a meh with me, personally I'd recommend the Microsoft Antispyware program (I believe it's in beta now) because honestly if anyones going to do it then its microsoft because they have the money. The program also has another feature I like: it has a network, so tha the definitions are constantly updated based on what the program finds. Lets say it picks spyware called Win32XkeylogX that it determines as a risk to your compuer, but doesn't have it listed in its database. The program will then add the spyware to its database and the next time the definitions are updated it will search for this new spyware as well. The constant updates can keep the spyware guys tied down anyway. Opera, well did you see that one video Ralle posted? Yeah that sums up Opera right there. Firefox FTW.

Level 11
I have a serious block against norton, i don't like it (which is why i let it sit expired on my old comp for almost 10 years, not all from me ;D )

I use AVG Free, Spybot Search and Destroy, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, Firefox as my browser, and Ad-Aware SE-Personal, i don't remember the last time i had any problems with spyware, adware, or viruses <:)

Level 18
I get the Norton protection suite free with my ISP. It's a handy little thing, and it always seems to pick up everything, but I completely agree. I've had nasty bouts with spyware over my years of computer use and they aren't pleasant things. Buggers to catch and even harder to get rid of. Spybot Search and Destroy is merely a meh with me, personally I'd recommend the Microsoft Antispyware program (I believe it's in beta now) because honestly if anyones going to do it then its microsoft because they have the money. The program also has another feature I like: it has a network, so tha the definitions are constantly updated based on what the program finds. Lets say it picks spyware called Win32XkeylogX that it determines as a risk to your compuer, but doesn't have it listed in its database. The program will then add the spyware to its database and the next time the definitions are updated it will search for this new spyware as well. The constant updates can keep the spyware guys tied down anyway. Opera, well did you see that one video Ralle posted? Yeah that sums up Opera right there. Firefox FTW.

Yeah Avira scans for things based on how they work as well, although it doesn't upload them to the database. Also, have you ever tried Opera? I seriously doubt it, because every person I have ever gotten to try it has loved it ever after, it's only 6mb, that's not too much even on 56k so give it a try for a week or two! (Oh yeah, and reading up on Mouse Gestures is something you must do, they're so awesome!)

-*meow*

Level 8
Imo is FF combined with Ad-Aware and a deleting of your cache and cookies the best way. It kicks ass!

But also remember to clear IE monthly, even though you dont use IE, the cache of IE still get used by programs such as WMP, MSN and other windows applications.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
well I have used opera some times.. Did you know that when downloading a torrent, opera will start downloading the file in the torrent, I mean opera is also a torrent client. Also, when closing opera and opening it again, the sites you were visiting are still open. I can't really do anything with my router except if I use opera.. so i'd say
1st place: Opera/Firefox
2nd place: other alternatives to IE
10th place: IE

Level 18
Hey brad, would you mind using the fade-transition effect on your animated userbars, as them changing so harshly is a bit hard on the eyes. Also they're changing a bit fast, hard to read 'em.

P.S. Also, check the userbars forums for some better ones than the standard gallery ones ^^.
-*meow*

Level 5
I agree with Ralle lol, IE sucks :) Pitty though rumour is if you uninstall it from your computer, it crashes =\

Status
Not open for further replies.