• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Dissapearing Doodad Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I am having a problem with doodads that have been placed dissapearing, when I adjust the sky with the CTRL+Scroll action, some of the doodads dissapear and mess up, I took some screenies, this is from the exact same map no changes could someone possibly explain this to me?
First Pic includes all doodads except those blocked by the sky, the last two show what happens after

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_110307_205200_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110307_205200_01.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 181
  • WC3ScrnShot_110307_204842_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110307_204842_02.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 154
  • WC3ScrnShot_110307_205223_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_110307_205223_02.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 154

peq

peq

Level 6
I had the same problem once when i filled up the whole screen with banshee-models. I think warcraft just cant handle too many polygons but it might also have been my graphics card (Powercolor ATI x850XT) running too hot.

Removing half of the grass-doodads should solve your problem.

Level 8
This is an issue of what is called FarZ.

FarZ defines how far the sky box is away from the camera. If this is for a game the most you can get is a Far Z of 10,000. Up side you can see a long way on a clear day, down side is that all of the rendering of all of the objects really slows down the computer.

If you are going to take screen shots from inside the game then you need to set FarZ via a trigger:

• Camera - Set Player 9 (Gray)'s camera Far Z to 6000.00 over 0.01 seconds
I copied that from a map I am working on that is an RPG type map with a ground level behind the unit camera. You can set it to any player you like. 6000 works rather well in that it doesn't cause the game to lag with a lot of objects in the area.

If you are just seeking to take screen shots from editor then your best bet is to go to Advanced and click on View Entire Map. Depending on the size of your map and how much stuff you got there this could take a few minutes. I always shut off the grid, fog, sky, weather, light, hide doodads, units etc before going to the view entire map mode - it shaves off a bit of time.

Once you view the entire map you can lower your camera with the mouse wheel (no holding any buttons) and you can move the camera about by holding the control key and using the left mouse button.

Get to the point you want and you should be able to see (without fog) all the way to the edge of your map.

Another option is to place a camera and adjust its properties, setting the far z to 10,000 - you will still lose some distant objects.

Holding Ctrl whiles doing the mouse wheel is like magnifying the map - stop holding control and move the camera about using the arrow keys where down it back and up is forward, left is left and right is right.

You only need to scroll in until your sky box looks like a sky - that means being zoomed in fairly close to the map.

Level 25
Rocks ; Trees ; maybe more grass doodads or more variation of grass doodads ; A village would look cool ; Forest Critters (Don't spam them) ; and adding mountains in the back behind the trees would look nice too. Also, ease up on the fog. It is too... dense. Also change the color too. Yellow and brown/orange don't really mix that well.
~Craka_J

Level 18
Alright, I didn't really have a large variation of them because it was supposed to just be a serene field, but I suppose it makes sense, I will probably put a village in there like you suggested, in fact I had a farm there but didn't incorporate it into the pic
EDIT: Here is a new pic, need to add trees to cover up the map edge, and add/change other various things

Attachments

• fads.jpg
    fads.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 129
Level 34
I don't like the little grasses at all. Not enough, or maybe get closer to them. They don't look good right now.

Level 18
Cool, I still am going to add maybe a little more wildlife and probably a little more grass, and maybe a little house or something in the background
EDIT: I think these should be the final pics
EDIT EDIT: I was playing around, what about this grass, I realize it would need to be patched in some areas

Attachments

• plains2.jpg
    plains2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 118
  • plains1.jpg
    plains1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 84
  • update.jpg
    update.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Level 34
The one before the last three you posted was good, but I would try tilting the screen down. So you are more level with the ground, that way you won't see any tile, just grass doodad.

Level 34
I like the farm, again I think a lower angle would be nice, that way you don't see bare spots.

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

Look, alot of doodads cant be palced so many that close together... heck there are soem custome models that are to good for the wc3 editor. Such as the tuaren cheiften model... palce to amny of them and they start to go crazy.

Level 34
Well done! I think that the angle is a huge improvement!

@HalakBalakBalak: It looks fine like this. Mass grass doodad looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.