• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

dash effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
requesting a dash effect. should look like the dust cloud thingy as seen below, which appears behind him/at his feet

hpbQ5E4.gif

i've searched long and far for such an effect but i haven't found a thing woop
pls help

edit: see this post a slightly more detailed description of this request

Last edited:
Level 12
ignore this entire post tbh

Error. Haven't tested it myself though.

i've seen this model and it's probably the closest i've gotten to what i need; that said, it's not really what i'm looking for

the texture for that dash model is actually pretty close in appearance to the gif in the op post, but the shape is too dissimilar to what it should be

Untitleddddddsdsdasd.jpg

the left object on the pic above is the shape of the chaosrealm.info dash effect: a truncated cone type thingy that quickly expands in size

the dash effect in the OP probably looks like more of a triangular pyramid that expands in size; the "dash texture" would then be applied to the red/green/blue sides of the triangle (or maybe just red and green? idk), while the 4th uncolored side would just be transparent. then you slap on some dust particle effects afterwards

at this rate i'm probably just gonna learn how to model this myself lul. thanks for the reply though

edit: on second thought the animation would probably a bit more nuanced than just having a uniformly expanding triangle but wutev

Last edited:
Level 12

i actually like this model's approach of sort of stacking planes on top of each other, which is probably more accurate than my dumb triangle idea

overall i don't like the model itself for a few reasons:
1. doesn't really look 'jagged' enough for lack of better description; i experimented with using other textures, see below for comparison
2. the effect fades away too slowly, so it looks more muddy than dusty. should fade away about twice as fast than what it is currently
3. the texture itself looks pretty gray and shitty and contributes even more to its 'muddy' appearance
4. could probably benefit from having a 3rd plane added to it
5. doesn't have those cloud particles that you can see in the OP pic

Untitledfgdfgfgdgffdgd.jpg
anyway i made a shitty mockup version of the effect myself using my limited modeling knowledge (see attached file). it has a variety of problems but it somewhat represents what i'm looking for
someone pls do a better job i'm poop at modeling

Attachments

• nitu6.mdx
    4.3 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.