• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Conflict of Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
CONFLICT OF RACES

Quick Facts
Name: Conflict of Races
Type: AOS/RPG
Recommended Players: 5v5
Progress: 5%
Introduction
Conflict of Races will hopefully be an AOS like no other. I dont mean this by different heroes, items and spells. I mean this by changing the gameplay. Conflict of Races is a map where you are not the fighter, but the farmer. In this map your job is to support the economy of your race and improve your units going to battle. You do this by completing quests for the locals and people outside in the wilderness. After you've completed your tasks, the locals will give you a reward and you may use this award to upgrade your soldiers going into battle. The victor condition of this map is the same as that of an AOS: destroy your enemy's main structure.
Quests
Conflict of Races is going to feature a huge variety of quests. In my quest system I have implemented a variety of introduction lines, and the quests given will always ask for a random amount. For example, if someone asked you to get 6 rocks, then the next time they give that quest, the amount will be different. The amount varies depending on your teams level. We will try our best to make them as unique as possible but I will need your help. My mind wont be able to think of that many quests so I am asking you guys to help me out. Give me ideas for quests and i will add your name to the credits list so you can show off to all your friends. :) If you would like to give a quest suggestion please put the name you would like to be credited with at the end of the suggestion in bold. I will tell you if your quest is sufficient.
NPC's
Conflict of Races will feature many NPC's ranging from blacksmiths to priests. These NPC's are the main people you need to keep a close relationship with. As you do quests you earn their trust. If you completely take over the their trust from the opposition, then that NPC will only give upgrades to your team until the opposition is able to earn their trust back. Various NPC's will also accept you as a pupil to under go training. In this training you are made to do various activities (minigames). After succesfully completing these activities you are given spells that are suited to that specific class. eg. If you finish the blacksmith's training then you will be given the abilty to repair buildings and so on.
Units
Conflict of Races will feature units with a lot of upgradeable features. Each creep wave will spawn 4 melee units and 1 ranged unit. By spending gold you can upgrade the damage, armour and speed of your melee units. The ranged units will have the most amount of upgrades available. Your mage unit will be able to learn auras and spells to assists your melee units in battle. Ah the endless possibilities of combos. :D Althought the way you upgrade your units is still being brainstormed we are onto a item system where you buy the upgrade from the NPC's and then give it to the barracks. This then activates the upgrade for that barrack only. Ranged units will have a different barrack so more space for spells can be made. Any better ideas which you think will be easier and simpler will be accepted.
Terrain
Conflict of Races is filled by terrain made all by me. I think they will be sufficient enough as they look pretty good(well thats what i think xD). So far only 2 main areas have been completed.
xeijyg.jpg
ajlerl.jpg
What I need from you
-Quests
-Upgrade Ideas
-Upgrade system ideas
-Anything else you might want to suggest
More info to come after more of the map is completed.

Last edited:
Level 15
The mountain range terrain is really, really plain. Having loads of the rock tile doesn't really help much. You could try using some dirt around the edges of the cliffs, I think it would make is better. The caves terrain is somewhat ok, although it could use more variation in terrain.
Also, add more doodads. Stuff likes rocks and flowers etc should be used more, especially those smaller doodads like bushes and flowers IMO.

I'm not a very good terrainer so my comments don't really count for much :p

The map concept is rather interesting. Being a farmer instead of a hero is really very original. This probaly combines RPG elements together with the regular AoS elements. However, it would be rather plain if there were no heroes to play around with. Would you be able to upgrade your farmer into a simple hero that can support the war via fighting? Alternatively, it would be nice if there were some simple fighting mini-games or something, which are part of the quests.
Example, Bandit Raid (Quest)- Protect Jone's house from Bandits by throwing rocks at them to scare them away.
Something like that :p

Well, good luck. Looking forward to the release of this map :)

Level 4
Thanks to the both of you. Well the angle and bad quality of the image is affecting the visibility of small doodads by quite alot. There are quite a bit of plants and rocks placed around but i will take your word for it and add more. As for tile variation i am trying to save as much tiles as possible since i am reaching the limit. I will experiment with a combination of tiles and post new screenshots as soon as i get around to it. Oh and i forgot to mention that you are able to go into training with various NPC's to become a fighter, blacksmith etc. This will give you the ability to interact more with the game althought doing quests will still be the only way to get gold. This will keep players on the main idea of doing quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.