• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Co-Operative Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey all,
I found I enjoy writing and making campaigns in WCIII. I've only actually started one, with an intro and first mission, but I really enjoyed it.
Anyway, as the title suggests, after playing RA3 I thought how cool it would be to have a multiplayer, co-operative campaign in WCIII. I haven't seen any around, and I just was wondering if that was because no one has tried it yet, or is it because people have and they actually really, really suck?
So, please let me know what you think.
And it wouldn't just be you have two bases instead of one while you fight the enemy; in almost all of the missions the two players would have different roles, be it defense and infiltration, or attrition and exploration.

Level 2
I was planning a bunch of maps that weren't physically connected, because, like Eleandor said, you can't actually do a proper campaign with two people. But there are quite a few really good single player campaigns that don't use that campaign screen anyway.
I know it's not really the kind of thing you would play with some random on Battle Net, but I was thinking of a map that you'd play with someone who you really like playing with and have to co-operate lots with. And not just one map, but eight maps connected with a story.
Because just about every co-operative map out there you control one hero, and that's it. Just thought it would make a nice change.

Level 21
1.You can make group of maps and connect them.
You can't really connect them. Except through save/load codes, but then you have the problem that you MUST play the whole campaign with the same people ("must" as in: if you don't, people will join in the middle of a campaign, and that's pretty meh)

2.not true
not true.

3.No they don't
Woa, where have you been the past 5 years? The place is crowded by DotA and footman frenzy and pseudo-maps using default heroes on a 1-tiled terrain with items giving +200 damage. you literally never see anything else played... So never mind about seeing a "campaign" played over battle.net.

Level 8
@ DairyQueen I think this is an awesome Idea man when ever I have lan parties at my house theres always the same shit to do like over play the same dumbass aos's and rpgs but I think that a campaign would be an awesome idea everyone always loves a good story and beating the shit out of baddies.

@ Eleandor he doesn't have to use save/load codes he could use a system that gives you a password when you beat a level and then use that password to get to the next level. Unless its a campaign thats so awesome that people will play over 5 times then a password is pretty useless.

Off Topic - @ Dota haters... wtf... grow up if you dont like it dont play it, thats why I dont play it. So stop getting forums off topic with this garbage

Level 2
Well, it's cool you guys think it's a good idea, and I think it would be really fun to make and play.
As a side note, there is no need to talk about DotA here. There are probably millions of other forums for that.
Aschy, although you said it's fun beating bad guys with your friends, I thought that as another slight difference I would make this from the 'bad guys ' perspective. Where you and your friends two races are running around conquering everyone, and the campaign is about one specific world against two specific 'good' races trying to stop you.

Like, it starts off with you hunting for more enemies to kill, and you find evidence of them. You do missions where you have to kill a specific hero, destroy their main resourcing operation, and other stuff like that. Later, you encounter another race who are allies of your enemies, and that they are summoning/building some super weapon to wipe you out. So, you destroy it, and then like the final mission could be at their last bastion, where the two players have to work together, attacking from both sides, to overcome the fortress. And the final cinematic shows your races moving on to another world.

These are only preliminary ideas, nothing really in concrete yet. Just to give you a better idea what I'm planning. If you have some awesome ideas, please tell me.

Level 3
Great idea dude. Will you create custom races or will you use the 4 original races?

Btw, it sounds lika a standard red alert 3 mission :p

Level 2
I was planning on using 4 custom races, 2 for you and your ally, and 2 as the primary antagonists. They weren't going to be awesomely awesome, just different enough to the standard races to make it more interesting.
Race 1 is a skeleton race I made a little while ago for another map, with a unique touch on their resourcing methods.
My brother, who is doing it with me, is still deciding what Race 2 will be.
The enemies, Race 3 and 4, were just going to be High Elves and then Ancients (walking trees). Like I said, not really that creative, but just adds a bit of variety.
I've already planned out the first 3 missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.