• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing vertex colouring of illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
[Solved] Changing vertex colouring of illusions

Hey there.

Right now im pretty much done with a spell of mine.
A unit is becoming 100% transparent (using the vertex colouring trigger) und gets a dummy at its place, is being moved a certain distance, the dummy is removed and the caster is becoming visible again.

Now there is a second version of it where an illusion takes the place of the caster.
Unfortunately, no matter what i set the transparency, an illusion is 0% transparent and 100% blue to it's owner and allies.
Enemies cannot see the illusion, yet the casting player does.

Since there is now the illusion and the dummy overlapping, the visual effect of that "jump" is pretty much ruined.

If you know any way how to change that for the owning player i would very appreciate letting me know it, although Im afraid there is no possibility.
PS: Hiding is not an option since i want to make the caster selectable meanwhile.

Kindest regards
Newbestyle

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Like do you set the transparency of the illusion to 100% (invisible) or it just bugs or something?

Also another thing you should make sure that if you use a custom model for the dummy that the model is properly imported and that the illusion unit has correct settings (size and model)

The only reason I can see for that the enemies can not see the illusion is that it has somekind of spell that makes in invisible for enemies (ghost or something)

If the problem is that the Mirror Image turns blue you can not change that. Easiest way is using another spell and just dublicating the unit that casts teh ability and change the values to which you want (with triggers)

Level 3
I have a model I set to 100% transparency using
  • Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 100.00% transparency
The model is a standard warcraft model and all is working fine.

Now I want to do the same with an illusion created by the "Wand of Illusions" ability.

Enemies of that illusion will not be able to see the model, the owner though does.
I tried to figure why that would be the case and came to the conclusion it is that illusions get their colouring using a method just like the trigger itself uses, so that the illusion always stays "0% red, 0% green, 100% blue and 0% transparent".

If the problem is that the Mirror Image turns blue you can not change that. Easiest way is using another spell and just dublicating the unit that casts teh ability and change the values to which you want (with triggers)

So you handed me the answer right there i think, i will not be able to make it disappear without hiding it.

I have to work around somehow as you suggested.

Level 3
Alright, I'll try again:

The spell is a "jump" of a unit to a target location.
During jumping the caster is becoming transparent and moves with a dummy (the one you can see next to the illusion in the screeny) to the target.

The attached screenshot is the second version of that jump.
Now the caster itself doesnt move, becomes invisible and an illusion is being moved along with the dummy instead.

The transparancy doesnt work for the illusion though. Thats why the owner can see the illusion on top of the dummy. For enemies, the illusion is 100% transparent.
159874-albums2067-picture76743.png

That said, i could leave the spell as it is.
I was just wondering if you knew another method of making the unit transparent.

Edit:

I could now either simulate an illusion - as you suggested - or hide the unit completely.
I dislike hiding it, that would make the unit untargetable and would not have the same effect.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Well there is way of chaing the texture of the illusion (that takes an own model then) however I do not think it works as long as it is an illusion since it is in WC3 basics that illusions are blue.

However you could actually use the illusion as dummy unit and make a panda to move just like the illusion or something if you got what I meant.

But still:
1. Do you want the caster to be invisible to who?
2. Do you want the illusion to be invisible/visible to who?
3. Same about dummy unit.

E: Have you tried to change the illusions owner and see who can see it?

E2: What is the meaning of the illusion now, if you want it to be invisible?

Level 3
I could just link the map tbh :D that would be the easiest way to clear things up.

I need that additional dummy because there are two models being used.
The first one is the standard "Fire" out of Brewmaster's Ultimate. The second one/the dummy has the model of the rolling "Fire".

The caster is not to be regarded right now.
You brought me the solution already:

E: Have you tried to change the illusions owner and see who can see it?
Thats it! Changing owners is the solution! <3

Edit:

The illusion will land afterwards and other players will be tricked into thinking it was the original version of the spell.
The illusion then will walk around as if he was the caster who jumped in. Meanwhile, the caster will have a temporary "windwalk" buff.

Level 3
So this is solved?

Why didn't you just remove/hide the model in the first place if you want no one to see it? Or just scale it to 0 ?

It is solved.

I wanted other players to be able to select the caster midflight and choose as order targets like stunning etc. scaling it smaller would have made the hitbox smaller aswell.
Hiding would negate that awell. thats why
Thanks a ton for your time! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.