• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Changing unit armor without the need of creating new ones in obj editor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Is it possible to change a unit's armor without having to create another unit in the object editor and then use bear form/metamorphosis ?

If not, I don't mind creating new units, however is there an way to cycle trought armor types ?

Let me clarify what I want to acomplish: If a unit that has "unarmored" defense type gets an item "light armor", then change it's defense type to light armor, if it gets an item "heavy armor" change it's defense type to "heavy". I'm trying to do an complex armor system on my project and I'll probably be using all defense types present in war3 and needed an way to cycle throught them, but just don't know how, I managed to do it but only with two armor types and it's not even working fine.

Thanks for everyone who tries to help!

Level 11
Yeah, the most annoying is that it's not viable for using on heroes as it alters it's base armor, attack damage and properties (life and mana) and was about to ask if there would be a workarround for heroes. Would be there other methods? I'm ok with using bear form and creating multiple units in the obj editor, I just don't have a clue about how doing it to contemplate all armor types. I'm open for suggestions of all methods that can achieve it!

I think morphing is the current best idea.

OR
(what you are about to read may not affect the Graphics)
Create a single armor type for all units then using JASS and Physical Damage Detection, create a virtual armor table for damage reduction then modify the received damage.

ex.
Game has a single armor type of Hero

Unit A has that armor, tho in JASS he reduces damage by 20%
Unit B also has that armor, tho in JASS he reduces damage by 10% :)

Level 11
I think that in this second option there could't be an attack type x defense type balance and icons and texts could't be changed either. I think the bear form would be the best approach however I don't know how, meanwhile I'll be playing with the bear form, but still I don't know how to approch it so it contemplates all armor types. I think there would be needed lots of abilities since the armor could be changed from every defense type to another.

Level 11
Why would you need a bear form pear each unit per each armor type? It would be boring to allow all units to change their armor types to another. I suggest having it as a unique tool for a few units and only be able to change between two sets of armor.

Unless of course your map will be focusing on changing armor types.

Level 11
It's focused in medieval armor: clothing, raw leather, heavy leather, chain mail, half-plate (with leather), half-plate (with chain mail) and full plate, and I need an armor type for each so I can play with attack types agaisnt each specific type of armor. I already tought of compiling the Raw Leather and Heavy Leather into simply "Leather" but then "Heavy Leather" itens would simply have more armor value, and I tought that for half-plate too (chain mail half-plate would have greater armor values than leather half-plate, but with same defense type). It's an map where the player controls only 1 unit (the hero) so it would'be sooo annoying.

EDIT: I have come to an possible solution, but it still needs test. I'll post the triggers once it's done!

Last edited:
Level 11
There is an upgrade which changes the armor of buildings - I think it is somewhat buggy but could work for units as well. The problem is that you cannot unlearn the upgrade- you would have to make a trigger to research a different upgrade each time and you will have a limit on the total number of upgrades (it is a high limit though).

Status
Not open for further replies.