• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Can't start the monitor ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
when i start it, it shuts down after like 5 seconds, nothing shows on it either, I've had this problem for about 2 years now but this time it doesn't seem to go away. The weirdest thing about the problem is that I've had it on 2 different computers with 2 different monitors, even swapped the monitors between the computers several times with varying outcomes. The only thing that could be useable in solving the problem is that when i start the monitor without having it connected to my graphics card it works normally (says something like "connect cable etc."), but when I then connect it to the graphics card it says "POWER SAVER ACTIVE" and then shuts down. Don't really know where to get help with this so will try here :bored:

Level 6
I cant do that since i cant start the computer, and i didn't change anything before the problem occured. guess this is a dead case, will switch computer to my old one and see if it works.

Level 7
Google your monitor and see if any other users have similar issues.

You might simply have a power issue...

Level 6
ok googled the name and found a forum thread with someone who had the same problem, they said it had to do with power saving options in the BIOS, but that won't help alot since I can't change the BIOS without having the screen functioning.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Wait, let me see if I got this straight; one of your two monitors is not working, or is both monitors malfunctioning on one computer and working on the other? Clear this up for me please.

Level 6
ok it's like this:

at the moment i use 1 computer which none of my 2 monitors work on, but the weird thing is that those 2 monitors has also been working and not been working on the other computer i have. it's so strange.

it works now for the first time in 1 weak because I didn't touch it for like 36 hours....

Level 6
i think 1 of the RAM buses is broken because the problem occurs only when i have a ram stick in that one, so now im sitting here with the stunning amount of 256mb ram

Level 6
ok after 500 more computer restarts and RAM switching I am totally confused because nothing makes sense, currently i have 256+512mb ram but the system window only shows 256mb and the computer works slower than it usually does but it was way worse when i only had the 256mb in it... so yeah troubleshooting wont be of any need here anymore

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There seems to be more errors with your computer than the screen. In addition it seems both your monitors are malfunctioning too, considering they don't always work on other computers either.

I'd start with the PSU and move on the the motherboard for the computer though.

Level 6
at the moment im 100% sure the only problem (the only problem that causes the error) was/is related to the RAM, will take years to explain why i know that. I also have begun to realize that the computer still only works as if I had 256mb in it, don't have any idea on how to fix that problem since there seem to only be 1 of my RAM sticks that doesn't cause the monitor to malfunction. I have a 512mb inserted right now but the computer doesn't "use" it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

at the moment im 100% sure the only problem (the only problem that causes the error) was/is related to the RAM, will take years to explain why i know that. I also have begun to realize that the computer still only works as if I had 256mb in it, don't have any idea on how to fix that problem since there seem to only be 1 of my RAM sticks that doesn't cause the monitor to malfunction. I have a 512mb inserted right now but the computer doesn't "use" it.

Have you put the RAM in differently than when it used it all? The mobo could have a malfunctioning slot, ie it could be partially destroyed. Though, removing RAM making the monitor work does point in the direction of your PSU.

Level 6
I don't know what PSU is but I've tested all the RAM's in different slots and only 1 works, and that one only works solo, probably have to buy new one / ones.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You need a new motherboard (also referred to as mobo or mainboard). It's the large "chip" in which you have slots for, amongst a lot of other things as well, RAM. It appears your RAM slots are damaged. If you still encounter problems (with the RAM) after replacing the mobo, the PSU (Power Supply Unit) could also make trouble. lastly, if that does not work, your RAM chips are are damaged- or your rig does not support the chipset.

As for the screen, if changing mobo and PSU does not solve it, it's either the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) or the VGA/DVI cable that does not work as it should.

Then again, sometimes rare problems that should not happen occurs, and just won't let themselves solve until randomly solving themselves.

Level 6
but if my RAM slots are damaged, why does one of my RAM's work in both slots? is it damaged so that only 1 sort of RAM works on it?:eekani:

and for the screen, the monitor still works flawless when i don't put in a non-working RAM :eekani:

none of this makes sense to me.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh, I thought it was only one of the slots that worked, not one of the RAM chips. So, there's only one RAM chip that works? The other has never worked before? In that case it is because your motherboard does not support the 'other' RAM chip(s).

Level 6
The other RAM chip 512mb have worked for almost a year... just when the monitor began to refuse starting it doesnt work when i put it in. the 2 other RAM chips i have tested that doesnt work either I have never used in that computer, only in another.

Level 6
don't know how to put this but, that's been my plan for a while now, I only keep writing because shiiK wants to know more info on the problem. this sounds rude so edit the text in your mind. <3

ill give him rep just for the enthusiasm, don't think i need more help now but feel free to ask more

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well I hope you get it sorted out, mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.