• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cant anymore use (pre-reforged) map editor on win10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Windows 10 is constantly adding "only read-access" to my war3 folder, when using wc3 that version is pre-reforged.

This must-have been programmed by microsoft to prevent us from using old wc3 editor and tos..

How irritating..!:sad:

Attachments

• windows touched my file settings.png
    windows touched my file settings.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 32
Level 29
This is really strange, but on Windows 11, my pre-Reforged World Editor is working without problems, even though I don't interfere on "Read Only" option.
Also, I heard that the big size of the folder you had is because you are using the very older versions of Warcraft III (preferably 1.26 or 1.27), whose game data were still directly inside the game folder instead of the Documents. My version is 1.29.2.
Btw, what exact problem you encountered with your World Editor?

Attachments

• Warcraft III Read Only 1.jpg
    Warcraft III Read Only 1.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 13
Level 23
This checkmark is normal for windows folders. Look at any other folder on your desktop, it will have exactly the same checkmark.
Your problem with the editor not opening is more likely caused by having run the reforged editor, which messes up the registry. There's a fix:

Level 7
You did not undestand what I wrote. Let´s disguss your assumptions one-by-one.

1.This checkmark is normal for windows folders.
I have not said if it´s normal or not. And it shouldn't matter, since the issue is that after I uncheck it- windows will auto apply tick unto it again.

2.Your problem with the editor not opening is more likely caused by having run the reforged editor..
Ofcourse I have not reforged installed while I did this.

3.Solution for imaginary issue
NEVER I SAID I COULDNT OPEN THE EDITOR!! Yes again you made an assumption. I couldnt save the map files because of this.

---->
It´s clear that this thing is tailored by microsoft, it cant be accident or a but either.. It seems only target on this spefic action (when running map editor the folder becomes unwritable again.

It´s clear that this thing is tailored by microsoft
I run Patch 1.22 map editor on Windows 10 and 11 very, very often and have been running it this way for the last 3 years at least. But I have not encountered this issue you describe, unless it is new today from some Windows update.

Please try to relax and focus on what stupidity Microsoft might have done that causes your computer to confuse you. More than likely, a large corporation like Microsoft did not hand-tailor your computer to make you mad for seemingly no good reason. Instead, they probably created some setting that they believed made sense, but which does not make sense in your case. For example, I routinely will take the 1.22 game folder and tag the whole folder as read/write then forget about it for years.

Level 7
I run Patch 1.22 map editor on Windows 10 and 11 very, very often and have been running it this way for the last 3 years at least. But I have not encountered this issue you describe, unless it is new today from some Windows update.

Please try to relax and focus on what stupidity Microsoft might have done that causes your computer to confuse you. More than likely, a large corporation like Microsoft did not hand-tailor your computer to make you mad for seemingly no good reason. Instead, they probably created some setting that they believed made sense, but which does not make sense in your case. For example, I routinely will take the 1.22 game folder and tag the whole folder as read/write then forget about it for years.
The thing folders function is obviously taylored by microsoft, I wouldnt say it´s targeted specificially for me.
In 1.29 patch maps/replay were moved into different part of the hard disk (from program files into user:files section). This specific section is different from program files specificially created for user custom files. The taylored change microsoft made was propably that it made program file folders "more protected" so that they dont behave like they used to in windows xp/windows vista/windows 7/8 and so forth. Thats why things dont work anymore they used to, and that is what I am buzzling about.

I dont want to go into instanity to figure out how vigious microsoft decision making behind this change originally might have been. But its obvious it makes personal computer feel less personal.

I tested this with my 1.31 editor (pre-Reforged), and I also done this with 1.29 editor in the past, and this "read-only" setting does not prohibit the editor from saving or loading maps in the necessary directory (my maps directory is also read-only, but I have been editing maps with no issues). If you cannot save with the editor, please provide the error that the editor directly generates when saving so we can understand the issue better.

EDIT:

If it is not a bother, why not just move the files from Program Files to Users directory OR just run as admin.

Level 7
I tested this with my 1.31 editor (pre-Reforged), and I also done this with 1.29 editor in the past, and this "read-only" setting does not prohibit the editor from saving or loading maps in the necessary directory (my maps directory is also read-only, but I have been editing maps with no issues). If you cannot save with the editor, please provide the error that the editor directly generates when saving so we can understand the issue better.

EDIT:

If it is not a bother, why not just move the files from Program Files to Users directory OR just run as admin.
From 1.28b (yes I checked it from patch history), data folder was being changed from wc3 folder into different folder:
  • PreloadGenEnd() will now save into the User Data folder.
So the issue doesnt persist on the version above 1.28b. I am using version 1.26. Im sorry I didnt include version in the first post because I thought you know me so well that you know I have been making emulated bnet service for 1.26 version using pvpgn..

links. WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne - Patch 1.28b - Liquipedia Warcraft Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.