• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cannot get semitransparent texture to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi, I'm making a fake shadow for my map. I've made a custom model for it (just a plane that scales up and down to make the shadow get bigger/smaller). I set the model's material to 'ReplaceableTextures\Shadows\Shadow.blp' (I may have spelled that wrong here, but I know I spelled it right in the game; I checked it by setting it to a units' 'editor interface'.)

Whenever I placed it in my map, it appeared as a solid black plane. I figured this was because the image without the alpha channel IS solid black. So I figured that the model was ignoring the alpha channel. So I edited the model so 'FilterMode' was 'Transparent'. Well, it uhhh sort of works... When I'm in the process of placing the unit (It's selected and I've yet to click a spot on the map) it appears just fine, but when I click to place the unit, it disappears!

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong here?

Level 2
Yep. turn it back to when it was solid black, then give it the "Ghost Visible" ability. I dident check on this, but off the top of my head it should work. GL

Level 8
Another Problem with shadow texture

Nevermind. I had to change 'FilterMode' to 'Blend', NOT 'Transparent'.

Another problem has come up though. This is very odd. As you may have guessed from above, I have an animated plane, so the shadow will shrink down. What's strange is when the shadow image get's small, it changes to a different image.

But the part about that which is REALLY strange is that it doesn't matter what the scale of the plane is... it matters how big it is on screen! In the model preview, if I zoom way in, the texture doesn't change at all, but if I zoom way out, the texture changes to the weird one almost instantly.

I think the mip mapping for the shadow is f***ed up.

EDIT: I've included the FakeShadow.mdx file so you can see for yourself. Just import it, set it to a unit's model file (I used the frog! :) ) and then just place the unit, and zoom out (but hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to set the clipping to farther away).

Attachments

• FakeShadow.mdx
    1.9 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.