• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Import] Can I find the imported model reference's exact usage location?

Level 3
aaddsss.png

In the assets manager, I can check that somewhere in the object editor the imported model is used,
but I literally can't find the exact spell or unit or whatever that't using it. (took like 1 total hour with no gain)

Is there any way to find out the exact object that's using the imported model?

Thank you in advance.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
The Object Manager is normally useful for finding this kind of information but it doesn't seem to keep track of custom assets. Anyway, why not just delete it and find out later on when testing the map. Any ability or attack that's missing it's Missile art will be your culprit - assuming the Shuriken was used as a Missile.

Level 3
The Object Manager is normally useful for finding this kind of information but it doesn't seem to keep track of custom assets. Anyway, why not just delete it and find out later on when testing the map. Any ability or attack that's missing it's Missile art will be your culprit - assuming the Shuriken was used as a Missile.

Hey thanks for the answer, yeah it's really not a big thing so I should just delete it and hope to find out some invisible missile later on.

Thanks!

If I were you, I would go to object editor and "Export All Object Data" and create a .w3o file outside of the map. Then open this file in Notepad++ or whatever and search for the shuriken missile file path. A few bytes before the file path you can usually find the Object ID of the object that uses the missile. This will often tell you both (1) what kind of object it is based on the first letter, assuming it's not crazy-customized, and (2) the ID of the object that you can CTRL+F for in the Object Editor.

Level 3
If I were you, I would go to object editor and "Export All Object Data" and create a .w3o file outside of the map. Then open this file in Notepad++ or whatever and search for the shuriken missile file path. A few bytes before the file path you can usually find the Object ID of the object that uses the missile. This will often tell you both (1) what kind of object it is based on the first letter, assuming it's not crazy-customized, and (2) the ID of the object that you can CTRL+F for in the Object Editor.

This worked like magic, notepad++ showed me tons of [null]s but could pinpoint the location with no difficulty; it was the model for some stupid Sphere ability I made a long time ago.

Thanks very very much!! You cured my neurosis.