• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Blizz animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello Hive People,
Yes me again.
Im using milkshape for modelling and i want to ask how i can make a model edit use blizz animations.
Cause if i export from magos it deletes all bones and animations. But i want my (lets say Tauren Cief with a new head) still have his old anims how can i do this?

EDIT: Sorry though i was in modelling forum.
Could a moderator move this thread?

Level 23
Make a skeleton in Milkshape that matches the skeleton of the original model. Rig to this.

Once exported, copy the geoset data from your model into the target, and re-align the 'matrices' so that the IDs match the IDs of the bones as they are in the target model (rather than the equivalent bones as they are in your model).

Level 23
Export your model from Milkshape to MDL (it helps if you do this directly, since there are some helpful comments added at the matrices), and scroll down until you see the keyword "Geoset".

Now scroll down further until you see the word "Matrices". Underneath this, there will be a big list of entries, one for each of the bones in your model. If you exported straight from Milkshape, the bone names that match the IDs will be commented on each line.

So, using the commented names, find their counterparts in the real model. Then swap the matrice ID to be the one you just found... Hrm, I'm probably not explaining this very well. I'll perhaps try to illustrate an example tomorrow.

Level 23
That would be very good^^. Btw i just got a script which can export it as .mdx does that matter?
You want to be using Guesst's MDL/X Exporter... Beta 10 should be the most recent. It can save to either MDL or MDX; for this, you want to save as MDL.

So, you find a geoset and scroll down until you see something like this:
Code:
    Groups 14 14 {
        Matrices { 0 }, //Bone_Root
        Matrices { 1 }, //Bone_Pelvis 
        Matrices { 2 }, //Bone_Chest
The number inside the Matrices block is the ID of the bone named in the comment. So in this example, ObjectID 0 is the bone Bone_Root.

What you want to do is find the equivalent Bone_Root in the target model; maybe its ID is 3. Simply replace the number:

Code:
    Groups 14 14 {
        Matrices { 3 }, //Bone_Root
        Matrices { 1 }, //Bone_Pelvis 
        Matrices { 2 }, //Bone_Chest

Do this for all bones. If you have more than one geoset exported, then you can copy and overwrite the matrices for each one; they are always the same (even if that geoset doesn't actually use a particular bone, it will appear in the list).

Once you're done, copy and paste the entire Geoset block(s), delete the geosets of the target model and insert your own (though you may want to leave things like hero glow geosets in place).

Status
Not open for further replies.